Using Awning tiedowns with the Carefree Travel'r

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Ok, I just bought a new 2010 North Trail 31BDSS. It has a Carefree Travel'r awning. The question is should I be using an awning tiedown system with this awning or just roll it up every time there is a breeze? The height of the awning extended is more than I can reach without a ladder so I am not sure how to deal with using tiedowns. I haven checked the documentation for the awning and it makes no mention of using or not using a tiedown system.

PeternLiane

We always use tie downs. All it took was one time when we thought there is no wind and no breeze why use the tie downs. We walked no more than 25 yards away to the end of the camp site. All of a sudden a gust hit from no where. There was no way to prepare for it. Our awning was ripped off of our SOB trailer. We had to go four months without an awning. That is not going to happen again. Simply said if the awning is out the tie downs are on.

wdk450

Silverado:
I have my awning torn about 8 inches at the roller due to winds at the Oroville rally (I have been told there is a repair tape for this). I did not have a deflapper. I have since bought one.
I have a much bigger trailer than yours, and can not even deploy my awning without the use of a ladder. I realize that you have much less storage space than I do, but I consider a ladder an essential tool to have on hand. I use a folding ladder that extends to about 14 feet to get on the roof, or can be a 7 foot stepladder. I used it on my last trip (besides deploying the awning) when I was parked under trees, the wind came up, ant the tree branches started knocking on my roof. I was able to climb the ladder and trim the tree branches a little.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can buy awning tie-down sets that use a strap threaded through two rings to secure it. They work quite well and don't come loose unless you want it to. Easy to remove quickly from the roller without a ladder, should the need arise. I can get them on my electric awning without too much difficulty, too, and I'm a whopping 5'8".

On the other hand, the awning deflappers out there will not work with the electric awnings due to the arm configurations.

pegmikef

I've got the carefree on my North Trail and use some tiedowns I got at Walmart and they work fine. The down side I learned in Colorado last year is if it rains the auto dip to drain the water does not work right. We had a light rain (sufficient for it to dip though) and the awning did not dip to drain the water. Fortunately it was not enough to cause a problem. Apparently one end of the awning has to be able to rise. Anyway, beware.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I've got the carefree on my North Trail and use some tiedowns I got at Walmart and they work fine. The down side I learned in Colorado last year is if it rains the auto dip to drain the water does not work right. We had a light rain (sufficient for it to dip though) and the awning did not dip to drain the water. Fortunately it was not enough to cause a problem. Apparently one end of the awning has to be able to rise. Anyway, beware.

Where do you attach your tiedowns on your awning? My awning is electric and has the auto dip feature too.

RTRT94

just bought new camper with a carefree awning already on it. not sure i like it at all. so i emailed carefree with quick response they told me i have the straight one. that you cannot tilt. they said but i could order the tilting awning arms and would not have to measure a redrill anything. so i called to get a price....$886.00 i about fell off chair!!!think i can just about go buy a manual one for that price. ugggggg

pegmikef

Where do you attach your tiedowns on your awning? My awning is electric and has the auto dip feature too.

Sorry, I was out of the loop for awhile. I had them tied down on the end between the cloth and the white end cap. I was using one of those kits from Walmart and my own stakes. Now I am thinking of using a bungee cord between the tie down and the stake to give it a little "give" when it tries to dip. Here in West Texas, it rains so infrequently I haven't really had a chance to test it.

mlburst1

We have the same no pitch electric awning on our Sundance.

The best tie down kit that we have found is this one - http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-awnings/awning-tie-downs.htm

It wraps around the roller tube at each end of the awning and we usually use the screw in type anchors in the ground with the strap connected via the spring.

Our awning has been through a number of heavy rain and/or wind storms over the last two years with no ill effects (knock on wood) - the water drains over the roller tube edge.

Mike
Ocean_Lakes091311 (6).JPG

pegmikef

We have the same no pitch electric awning on our Sundance.

The best tie down kit that we have found is this one - http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-awnings/awning-tie-downs.htm

It wraps around the roller tube at each end of the awning and we usually use the screw in type anchors in the ground with the strap connected via the spring.

Our awning has been through a number of heavy rain and/or wind storms over the last two years with no ill effects (knock on wood) - the water drains over the roller tube edge.

Mike

You're lucky Mike because the fixed pitch on yours is sufficient to allow the water to run off. Unfortunately on my lower North Trail the fixed pitch is almost straight out horizontal to the ground and allows the water to pool in the awning. When not staked down, the weight of the water triggers an automatic dip that drains the water off of one end. That dip part is what didn't work when it was staked down. As I said earlier, I am going to try adding bungee cords.