Veterans ID Cards

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Micheal, I will get that website from you at the rally. Randy, Santha and the Poodles

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure this ID would be enough for some groups. Recently set up new Verizon account getting ready for full time and discovered they gave a discount on monthly service bill for veterans. The salesperson indicated I needed a copy of my DD 214, didn't matter that I had my retired ID card in my pocket, they needed a 214. Since my time was spread over 2 services, Army and AF, I have "several" DD214s. Didn't matter which one, just need one. So happened we were in Indiana visiting my wife's relatives and far from our home in Mississippi and didn't want to leave the office without having the discount set up when I remembered that I had also received the advice mentioned above to have form recorded at county clerk's office and had done my original one in the local office in 1979, never mind that I have 5 later ones, got the copy and viola, discount given.

Lou

I didn't know they were giving a veteran's discount. But since we're still getting a GM employee discount, even though we're both retired, from them, I doubt they'd add it on. But I primarily use the discount at Lowes, Home Depot, and now Tractor Supply. Menard's won't give it, so I don't need to shop there. For mechanical stuff, I can get a 10% firefighter discount at the local AutoZone.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I didn't know they were giving a veteran's discount. But since we're still getting a GM employee discount, even though we're both retired, from them, I doubt they'd add it on. But I primarily use the discount at Lowes, Home Depot, and now Tractor Supply. Menard's won't give it, so I don't need to shop there. For mechanical stuff, I can get a 10% firefighter discount at the local AutoZone.

O'reilly Auto Parts gives military discount as well. I didn't know about Tractor Surprise:)

olcoon

As far as Lowes, etc. giving the discounts, I think a lot of it depends on the clerk. A couple of weeks ago, I had some issues while de-winterizing when we got down here to Texas. Wound up having to make several trips to the local Lowes. I had my Navy hat on with the name of my ship & the clerk asked me if I had been on that ship & when I said yes, he gave me the discount. I've had this happen before at different stores.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As far as Lowes, etc. giving the discounts, I think a lot of it depends on the clerk. A couple of weeks ago, I had some issues while de-winterizing when we got down here to Texas. Wound up having to make several trips to the local Lowes. I had my Navy hat on with the name of my ship & the clerk asked me if I had been on that ship & when I said yes, he gave me the discount. I've had this happen before at different stores.

I just pull out my blue ID card and there's no questions. It's way too easy for an imposter to buy a hat and say he served.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I few weeks back I was at the commercial sales counter and they had a photo copy hanging by the register and it had pics of several cards and a statement to the affect that they must have one of these cards to receive a discount.

mikeandconnie

In Georgia you can get a life time VA driver license for no cost. It never expires. It has save me one ticket in Alabama. It was the first time the State trooper seen one. Also, I have had problems at TSA because of the expiration date. All states should do. I had to go through the VA to get it.

pegmikef

The Sears tool department gives discounts, but you have to have an active duty/retired ID card. . . . that is a military ID of some type.