Wafting Odor - Can't find Point of entry

MTPockets

Periodic odor when fantastic fan is on in bathroom.

Odor lingers near ceiling outside bathroom door.
I've doubled up on TST Black tank treatment.
Same odor with window open.
I installed Cyclone vent on roof for black tank vent pipe
Following my nose outside and in basement - no odors.
Odor does not intrude into living area or kitchen, just bedroom.

Still trying to locate intrusion point - ideas?

P.S... Thought I would note this occurs regardless of whether bathroom is in use.

Last edited:

Westwind

Is there a plumbing roof vent near an open vent in the bedroom? I've got three vents on the top of my Bighorn FW and never paid any attention to where they were located but I don't have your problem yet? Or it could be the washer dryer drain in a closet? Those are the only two things I can think of.

MTPockets

Is there a plumbing roof vent near an open vent in the bedroom? I've got three vents on the top of my Bighorn FW and never paid any attention to where they were located but I don't have your problem yet? Or it could be the washer dryer drain in a closet? Those are the only two things I can think of.

Black tank vent a couple feet from Bathroom fan... That's the vent I added the Cyclone. Other vents are near front and near rear. We don't have W/D but did check the washer drain and it is capped. That drain vent goes thru the roof and there is a 1/4" gap around the pipe where it goes thru the ceiling.

Birchwood

Seal around all vent pipes where they come through the roof.Use duct seal to allow flexing
when traveling.We have never had sewer smells since we sealed the vents and before the
smells often occured

MTPockets

I've done the whiff test at all drains and no odor.... I sealed the roof gap on the black tank when I installed the cyclone, but I'll do the other two..... Thanks............ I'll advise the results

porthole

Retired
Odor only when you first get to camp or all the time. Road travel may clear the trap of water, that is sealing the vapors in.

Check the vent under the sink? Look under the sink and up high.

And of course - a big help is - turn off the fan when flushing the toilet :rolleyes:

ChopperBill

Does your trailer have any pocket doors? If so get a flash light and look down through the pocket. If it is like mine you can see that the pocket is open to the basement and the roof area in the back. I plugged mine the best I could with foam pipe insulation and stopped most of the odors when the fan is on and there are not enough windows open. My guess this is why most of the newer trailers have done away with pocket doors. If we buy another unit I will look at the kitchen counter/drawers and the pocket doors. Wont buy another one that has big openings to the basement.

MTPockets

Does your trailer have any pocket doors? If so get a flash light and look down through the pocket. If it is like mine you can see that the pocket is open to the basement and the roof area in the back. I plugged mine the best I could with foam pipe insulation and stopped most of the odors when the fan is on and there are not enough windows open. My guess this is why most of the newer trailers have done away with pocket doors. If we buy another unit I will look at the kitchen counter/drawers and the pocket doors. Wont buy another one that has big openings to the basement.

We do have a pocket door... I looked behind the basement wall and see no issues and smell none.... I havn't gotten around to sealing the roof vents, but am hopeing that does the trick.

this may sound dumb but is there water in your toilet if not it may be coming in that way had this problem in a different unit paper in the seal let it drain down.
Joel

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Birchwood. Sealing around vent pipes where they come through the roof stopped smells from coming into our rig.

When I lifted the flange aroud the vents, I could see daylight down through the roof. They were not air tight. The washer vent in the closet was the worst. When the Fantastic fans where turned on, it was pulling vent smells through the cracks around these pipes.

I also installed Cyclone vent caps to pull smells away from the rig. Trace

jim3807

Our BH 3585rl will 2 yrs old this november. Had the odar problem too. What I found was the factory did not use any sealant on the black tank fitting that screw into the tanks. Still have odar in basement. Dealer did put sealant around big inlet. Also found that vents coming thru roof are not sealled

Pizzaguy

We have the odor at times also, usually when the AC is running and you first open the door. This may be a stupid question, but if the vent isn't sealed where it comes thru the roof ,wouldn't you notice water coming in when it rains?