Waiting game... Next on the list is a hitch. Some suggestions please?

Porkchop

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but we now need to buy a hitch. Got the truck and know we are getting the cyclone 3010.

So the next question is which hitch to get. I know the cyclone has the 88 turning thing, but I'm still nervous. I've heard that we don't need a slider but I don't want to chance it.

Dh also would like an auto slider but again, not sure if it's needed.

Suggestions on what to get?

Ive Heard that pullrite auto slider is good as well as the hijacker.

We have a 2012 3500 gmc crew cab, short bed.

flamingknitter

I'm going to chime in here even if I am not an expert!! I have a B&W companion hitch and love it. It is easy to hook up to the trailer and even easier to take the hitch out. Leaves a flat bed without rails. The components are pretty light and goes in and out in under 5 minutes. I have not used the gooseneck component as of yet, maybe during the summer when we get wood for the winter.

I'm not sure about the short bed truck and needing the auto slider..... I have a long bed Chevy dually. Hope you get some good responses to your question.

jnbhobe

When I pulled with a short bed I used a 18K Super-Glide (that is sitting in the garage doing nothing) I now use a Reese Elite on factory Ford rails.

porthole

Retired
Irene

90% of the people who tell you you do not need a slider do not have a toy hauler and a short bed truck.

Heartland toy haulers are 102" wide, the non toy haulers are 96".

That is 2.5" per side extra that you need to be concerned with. You may never need the extra room a slider offers. The first time you have to maneuver on a less then level ground you may appreciate the extra clearance the slider will give you.

Search this site under my screen name and you will find real pictures of clearance using a 2006 GMC short bed truck.

If you are looking to save money - skip the slider and just be extra careful.
If you really want a slider, PullRite is the best, and automatic.

If you want to save some money and still want the slider - talk to Jon. On your way out to Elkhart you will be be passing south of where he lives, maybe you two can hook up work a deal.

Make an appointment with PullRite, they are only 8 miles from your dealer. Tell them you have a hitch from a previous truck and you want to install it in your new truck.

And I would suggest, when you bring the trailer home you leave the ladder in the garage. Makes going through the those pesky toll booths a bit easier until you get comfortable towing. Tou haulers mount the roof ladder on the left side of the trailer in the back. Sticks out another 10" or so.

You may still need air bags, even with your new 3500.

This is not the post I was thinking of, but it shows the pictures.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...rails-auto-sliding-hitch?highlight=superglide

The pictures with the trailer at 90 degrees to the truck are with the SuperGlide slid to it's full rearward position, 14" IIRC.

I think it is quite obvious that at least with a 2010 Cyclone 3010 and a 2006 GMC short bed, that I would not be able to come close to 90 degrees on level ground without a slider.
Your mileage may vary.

Porkchop

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions! I just PMed Jon to see if he's willing to sell.

My husband, Martin, is pretty set on getting an autoslider (which I think limits us to the Pullrite and HiJacker).

I was willing to go with a manual slider for more options, but being complete newbies, we would like to take out ANY possible problem with turning radius etc. This is going to be a whole new ball game. I think the biggest thing we have ever towed was a small utility trailer with 4 motorcycles on it! That might have been 15 feet long at the longest. 35 feet is a significant difference!

I'll also give Pullrite a call and see about the cost of installation since if we don't have to muddle our way through it and can get it professionally installed, that is the BEST way.

Thanks again! You guys/gals on the board are extremely helpful!

Irene

PS Duane, do you have a link or post regarding doing a good PDI etc? The pick up date isn't for a while, but I want to be prepared. Also how long does it take for a good PDI to take? I'm afraid ours won't be long enough, but when it gets closer to the pick up date, I'll call and ask to see if they can take more time with us.

porthole

Retired
PS Duane, do you have a link or post regarding doing a good PDI etc? The pick up date isn't for a while, but I want to be prepared. Also how long does it take for a good PDI to take? I'm afraid ours won't be long enough, but when it gets closer to the pick up date, I'll call and ask to see if they can take more time with us.

No I don't, but there are several here on the forum.

When I did my PDI at GL the person going through with me was very thorough. Even on items that I told him "iI am already familiar with that" he continued on with "this is part of the PDI".

So, like I said previously in the PM's. Take a notebook, take notes. Ask questions. Plan on at least one night of on your own in the trailer.

Use everything - multiple times Slides in and out a least a dozen times. Go on the roof. If you have a creeper bring - go under the trailer.

Hook up the trailer and take it for a test ride, make sure it tracks and stops OK.

Do the factory PDI early. Then do it yourself at least once or twice more.
Look for any little thing and make your list, have as much taken care of before you leave - you don't have a hometown dealer. And the nearest Heartland dealers to where you live are not Cyclone dealers.

Try and talk to Rob himself and get his contact info for his buddy in Lakewood (Heartland dealer).
I do not know what Crossroads position is with non dealer bought trailers even though they are not a Cyclone dealer.

rick_debbie_gallant

Porkchop, I sent you a pm the other day. I may also have what you are looking for. I have both a 14K and a 18K with all the mounting stuff. Wife says to get them gone. get in touch with me.

Porkchop

Hi!

I did get your message and thought I replied. I sent you a PM back just now...

Also update on Pullrite. They are SUPER nice on the phone and are willing to install the hitch as a training exercise for their employees BUT they would need the truck for 8 hours. That won't work with our time and traveling out to pick up the trailer. So as much as I would love to have them install it for me, it's just not possible.

I would also like to schedule a factory tour during our time out there, but again, not sure how its going to work with the limited time that we have.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will contact both Rick and Jon about the hitches. I love this forum!

Irene

Porkchop, I sent you a pm the other day. I may also have what you are looking for. I have both a 14K and a 18K with all the mounting stuff. Wife says to get them gone. get in touch with me.

Hi - I just noticed you have and Pullrite Superglide and all the mounting stuff - do you know what you would want for them? Also is the mounting for a 2006 Dodge 2500? We are in California. Claudia