Warm tire's

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! I've got a puzzle here and don't know what going on with my tire's and wheel's ! On our return trip from the campground this past week i experienced some very warm tire's and wheel's on the 3 right side tire's ! They we're waaay hotter than the 3 left side tire's ! After getting home and thing's taken care of i raised each tire off the ground and spun them and they we're perfect ! No extra play or anything like that either ! I then plugged the electric cable back into the truck to see if that did anything and still no problem ! I don't think it was the sun that did it cause i was heading south so the sun was hitting the tire's on the left side and they didn't get hot ! It's not a grease thing because they we're greased recently ! Any idea's for something else to check ???????????????
chaseb

noobee

It could be that there is more weight on the side with the warmer tires. What were the temperatures?

rick_debbie_gallant

I did check the air pressure and they we're right on !
chaseb

No offense intended, but did you check the tires warm or cold. IMHO if you checked them cold and they were right on then my guess would be you are overweight on the side....

Oh ya, did you inflate them per the yellow sticker on the rig or the sidewall marking on the tires or by what your PDI guy to inflate them to. I look at what the tire says, making sure the rim is the proper rim for the weight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Are you using a TPMS device or just your hand on the tires? If it were something to do with the axles, brakes or bearings, then your hubs and wheels would be very hot, as well. With both a TST and an infrared gun, I find the tires under the kitchen slide (ODS) run hotter and slightly elevated pressure, compared to the DS tires under the living room slide. More so if they're on the sunny side. I know what is "normal" for my rig and don't get nervous about it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chase, one thing you could consider. If the road you were on has a slight crown to it. It's possible that the right side tires are getting hotter because they trying to push the weight of the trailer up hill and the weight of the trailer is tranfering to the right side. Just food for thought.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok not meaning to high jack here but I am setting up my TPMS an would like to know what temps the tires normally run at. Trailer and truck?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

rick_debbie_gallant

Ok not meaning to high jack here but I am setting up my TPMS an would like to know what temps the tires normally run at. Trailer and truck?

Check out this thread:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23575-Setup-of-TST-TPMS-Parameters

jnbhobe

I've seen my tires as much as 15* difference on the sunny side. have also seen 127* on that side running G-614'S

BarneyFife

Which side was the sun on?

As crazy as it sounds, I've had similar experiences where the sun was on one side while traveling and it made a substantial difference in temps; even on the interstates.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just purchased the TST TPMS system, and I find it very interesting to watch the temps and pressures change as we drive. (Easier for me to stare at it as it cycles then DH who is driving.) I see about 5-10 PSI difference (higher) on the driver side tires, unless that is the sunny side, then it might be a little more. Temps can vary close to 15 degrees from side to side, depending on the sun location. This higher temp and pressure jives with the RVSEF weights we got in Gillette... the hottest/highest psi tire is the one carrying the most weight. Our drive between campsites is about 6-8 hours, typically, but we also stop about every 2 hours for fuel or restroom. I visually check the tires each time we stop.

Test with a laser thermometer, or invest in a TPMS. Your hand just can't tell you exactly what is happening.

dave10a

Temperature readings with a pyrometer is very accurate and tells lot because temperature variance across the tread should be fairly even if the tires are properly aligned, camber, caster toe-in and toe-out. However the tire temperature reading on the normal trailer monitor is simply a gross indicator of a multitude contribution sources and potentially a lot of problems and is only relative to past readings. For trailers I think up to 150 degrees F could be expected on a heavy trailer with large tires on a hot day at high speeds. Since it is a relative reading and you normally observe a temperature of say 140-150 degrees reading traveling across the Mojave desert in the middle of summer and the temperature jumps up to say 170-180 degrees when in the past it was 150 degrees I would stop and find out why. In short, unless you know what the temperature normally is for your rig under different driving conditions, it is hard to determine when a problem is brewing. The issue is determining what is normal for a particular trailer and tires for those different driving conditions. Even a new trailer can have issues because of manufacturing errors or that is was delivered to the dealer properly without incident in transit.
Maybe a posting by those who have monitors that show Trailer type, tire size, load on each tire, ambient temperature, number of tires and so forth could give some perspective of what to expect. If multiple axle tires seem to be wearing properly but the tire temperatures are uneven from side to side it could be spring rate(sagging/load) problem and not an alignment problem. Distance between axle is will show a spring sag...

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Use the recommended settings/ranges for the system and then take it out on the road for a long drive. You'll see what is "normal" for your rig once they stabilize. I used the recommended settings for my TST and found they were too low. Had to bump the high end up a few degrees and a bit more psi than the 15% they recommended.

1231ChaseB

Warm tire update !

Hi all and thanks for all the input ! After checking about anything i found on the forum and anything i could think of and not finding anything wrong i waited today till it got about 85 outside and i hooked up the Cyclone and went for an extended ride with the sun on both side's of the camper !
All the tire's we're running about the same heat to the touch ! So whatever caused the hot tire's the other day i still don't know what it was but all appears to be OK !
chaseb