Warning for I-75 travelers

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
For those traveling on I-75 between Knoxville, TN to Chattanooga, TN, the State is working on the Tennessee River bridge at MM 73-75 :mad:. It's now down to one lane both ways so traffic has been stopped/slow up to 8 miles from the river. I'm sitting at my house which is 7 miles from the river watching the stopped traffic. Ya might want to find another way if possible.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We are heading to Lebanon Tn for the fall Samboree but we are going I-24 from Chattanooga. then on to Texas for the winter, Linda has 1 (one) more work day, then she is retired. Hope to see you and Nathan next year at the rallies.

Bobby A

Thanks for that information,we are heading that way next week, about Thursday or Friday, anyone know of an alternate route from Renfro Valley Ky (off I 75) to get around the construction and then get back on I 75 ??

Nabo

Bobby - if you get off at exit 81 (hwy 321), turn left to Lenoir City, turn right onto hwy 11 south, this will get you past the bridge contruction. Sounds e-z but hwy 11 is a 2 lane road after going thru Lenoir City. About 8ish miles from Lenoir City, you will cross the river into the town of Loudon. After Loudon you will come to a 4 way stop sign which you will turn right onto hwy 72. This will take back to I-75. It's slow but anything better than stopped on the interstate.

Last edited:

Bobby A

Bobby - if you get off at exit 81 (hwy 321), turn right to Lenoir City, turn left onto hwy 11 south, this will get you past the bridge contruction. Sounds e-z but hwy 11 is a 2 lane road after going thru Lenoir City. About 8ish miles from Lenoir City, you will cross the river into the town of Loudon. After Loudon you will come to a 4 way stop sign which you will turn right onto hwy 72. This will take back to I-75. It's slow but anything better than stopped on the interstate.

Thank you Nathan, I should of clarified in my post, I will be traveling south bound on I 75, gonna stop in Renfro Valley Ky, for a night or 2 and then continue south on I 75. So your direction are for south bound correct ?? We are pulling the horn, are the roads (detour) you suggested big rig friendly ??

Thanks so much,
Bobby

RanCarr

For those traveling on I-75 between Knoxville, TN to Chattanooga, TN, the State is working on the Tennessee River bridge at MM 73-75 :mad:. It's now down to one lane both ways so traffic has been stopped/slow up to 8 miles from the river. I'm sitting at my house which is 7 miles from the river watching the stopped traffic. Ya might want to find another way if possible.

What about in the middle of the night? Is it still backed up?

Nabo

Oops - got my left/rights mixed up but have corrected it on the original post. Yes - that would be the way you would go coming from Knoxville. If you like, you can also avoid hwy 11 all together by going to Maryville from Knoxville. You would get on Hwy 411 out of Maryville which is 4 lanes and parallels I-75 all the way down to Chattanooga.

For those that would like to take the detour, Hwy 11 is a truck route so RVs can travel it. The two towns do have narrow roads and several stop lights but it can be done. Nathan just got home (5 pm) and said that hwy 321 toward Lenoir City is pretty backed up as well since everyone is trying to get around the construction site. Patience - Patience

As for going thru late evening - traffic was still back-up at 10 pm last night. Nathan had to run to Chattanooga yesterday leaving at 6:30 am and said there wasn't much traffic then but coming back late morning ran into stop traffic about 3-4 mile before the river.

Update: this construction is schedule to be completed 10/15/11 but the locals say that the construction is behind schedule.

Nabo

It's about 6:30 pm and here a couple of pics of a truck that been in front of the house sitting on the interstate for about 5 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 28

Bobby A

Oops - got my left/rights mixed up but have corrected it on the original post. Yes - that would be the way you would go coming from Knoxville. If you like, you can also avoid hwy 11 all together by going to Maryville from Knoxville. You would get on Hwy 411 out of Maryville which is 4 lanes and parallels I-75 all the way down to Chattanooga.

For those that would like to take the detour, Hwy 11 is a truck route so RVs can travel it. The two towns do have narrow roads and several stop lights but it can be done. Nathan just got home (5 pm) and said that hwy 321 toward Lenoir City is pretty backed up as well since everyone is trying to get around the construction site. Patience - Patience

As for going thru late evening - traffic was still back-up at 10 pm last night. Nathan had to run to Chattanooga yesterday leaving at 6:30 am and said there wasn't much traffic then but coming back late morning ran into stop traffic about 3-4 mile before the river.

Update: this construction is schedule to be completed 10/15/11 but the locals say that the construction is behind schedule.

Thanks for that update and corrections, we will take your suggested detours (1 or the other) not sure which one as of yet. Any changes please post back.
Thanks again, your timing on this issue is perfect !!

Nabo

Great news - it looks like the construction work over the river on I-75 is completed. The traffic hasn't been backed-up in front of the house since last Friday (9/30). Just checked the TDOT website and they do not have it listed anymore as a construction site. Happy traveling!!!

Bobby A

Ya beat me to it Nathan, we just went through it this afternoon, ALL CLEAR !! We are at the Cartersville GA KOA until Sunday morning. Thanks again,

mikeandconnie

Good news for me also...Bobby with all the time you saved you can go cut my grass it's very close to Carterville .LOL.. Well, it's 10 acres and I havn't cut it in three months... That's why I love RV parks in the summer. Too much grass at home to cut.... I will be headed that way next week and normal my first day is cutting grass. The open road helps me out a lot. Thanks for the post.

Bobby A

Good news for me also...Bobby with all the time you saved you can go cut my grass it's very close to Carterville .LOL.. Well, it's 10 acres and I havn't cut it in three months... That's why I love RV parks in the summer. Too much grass at home to cut.... I will be headed that way next week and normal my first day is cutting grass. The open road helps me out a lot. Thanks for the post.

Good news Mike, looks like rain next week, mise well stay camping. (lol)