Washers and Dryers

Jim_Hull

So, for those of you with stacked units, how did you secure them so they do not tip out of the closet during transit? Given what Erica said about the brackets on the feet, I am back to square one on that aspect. I know a lot of you with the combo units use a ratcheting strap over the unit, but I am not sure that will work with stacked units.

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Call me adventuresome, but mine are not attached to anything but each other (We have a whirlpool set). The washer is heavy enough that the light dryer is not going to tip over. They can't walk out sitting in the spill pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I'm as adventurous as Gus. We have the stackables in the closet as well and they are not anchored.

Peace
Dave

Skywrench

Full Timer
If you decide on stackables, be sure to measure the entire area first. In our trailer, the washer/dryer area is in a closet in the very front of the 5th wheel (in the front cap). I did not realize that the ceiling at the opening of the closet is taller than at the back. I only realized this while trying to put the dryer in on top of the washer that the Splendide units would not fit. I had to do some modification to make things work. I did not have room to add the mounting feet to anchor the washer to the floor so I used some small angle brackets. I then used the Splendide brackets to secure the dryer to the washer. Also, cutting the dryer vent hole thru the wall in a brand new toy hauler can make one a bit nervous. There was no sticker on the wall to tell me where to put the hole saw. In the end it all came together nicely and looks & works great. The Splendide units are fantastic.

Jim_Hull

Skywrench,

Good advice. I have measured and it appears that I will be good on dimensions. I will have to remove a clothes rod and shelf, but then should have plenty of room in all directions. I do have a sticker telling me where to cut the vent hole, but will use the finish nail method to make sure the are no obstructions.

Jim

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are some instructions with pics in the latest issue of Trailer Life magazine on installing stackables. I have not read it but might be helpful. (Toyhauler on the cover of the issue)

TravelTiger

Sorry for the delay. I'm sure you can find the subscription online, but not sure if you can see for free. Here's some pics I took.
a0d6e81efa2d590aab16d19eb16bbae6.jpg
5abe600667a2b04fba8f9085711cb9e5.jpg
cf436640d796b9c0167d32ec744dff36.jpg
71a53e687e5271d42efec448401a6c0f.jpg
65ae6d66967abfc7897167f22541ed26.jpg

Jim_Hull

Erika,

Thank you for the scan. I did get an online subscription to Trailer Life and read the article. Thanks for the info. I have ordered the units and will let you know how the install goes when they come in.

Jim

TravelTiger

One suggestion, do use their hoses that come with the machine. We tried to use brand new, good quality metal braided hoses like for a household washer, but they leaked at the fitting on the back of the unit. Replaced with hoses that came with the washer, even though the fittings are plastic, no leaks!

Georgia_Biker

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do so.

Jim

Jim - I know you have already installed your stackables (congradulations).

I am ordering the same units and as I do my prep I have a question about the vent location. I am posting here to get comments from all.

Did you cut your vent hole at the premarked spot on the wall or did you cut it where it would be a direct flow to the outside from the back of the dryer?

Jim_Hull

Larry,

I went through the side wall near where it was marked, but the "Vent Hole Here" sticker was right on top of a metal stud. I am not sure what you would get in to going through the front cap.

Jim Hull

mlpeloquin

There are a couple of methods to make sure you are not going to go through a stud. I used a good wood/metal stud finder. You can look at your rig in the morning with due or frost on the out side. Where the studs are there will be vertical patterns. I had no problems with the stud finder. Others have drilled with a small drill part way to make sure that the stud would be cleared by the hole drill. The studs are metal.

Jim_Hull

Marc,

I also used a good quality stud finder, but I also laid out the 4 inch hole and drilled pilot holes around to perimeter to double check. This helped me avoid any studs and drill a clean hole out the side wall.

Jim Hull

Georgia_Biker

Larry,

I went through the side wall near where it was marked, but the "Vent Hole Here" sticker was right on top of a metal stud. I am not sure what you would get in to going through the front cap.

Jim Hull

I have a 3875FB my w/d closet is on the left side forward of the shower. I have an additional closet and dressers in the cap. So if the dryer is stacked on top of the washer I am thinking to send the vent hose directly out from the outlet to the outside. I am concerned about turns.

What are your thoughts?

Jim_Hull

Larry,

Looking at your floor plan, your dryer will face out into the bedroom facing the door side of the coach. That means that your vent hole on your dryer would be facing directly toward to off-door side and it would make sense to go straight out through the side wall if at all possible. That is how I would do it if it was me. The straighter you can keep your vent hose the better.

Jim

Georgia_Biker

Larry,

Looking at your floor plan, your dryer will face out into the bedroom facing the door side of the coach. That means that your vent hole on your dryer would be facing directly toward to off-door side and it would make sense to go straight out through the side wall if at all possible. That is how I would do it if it was me. The straighter you can keep your vent hose the better.

Jim

Perfect that's what I thought. I ordered my stuff today I will let you know how it goes - thanks again

AnnaIvanZ

From what I have been reading about washers for RVs, it seems like with the ones mentioned here or the portable ones, they say to use cold water??? Is that true? I have not and never will be a fan of cold water washing of clothes. My appliance man told me to never use cold water for washing clothes. (he was not selling detergent..........LOL)

Thanks for any info.

Anna Z