Water Leak

cdnrver

We have a 2009 Sundance 2900mk.

Yesterday I found 3 torn slide seals with all the other seals starting to crack and when I crawled underneath our unit I also noticed lots of rust. I'm now in the process of ordering replacement seals for all the slideouts and getting rust paint to repair the rust problems.

This morning, as I started to prepare to wire brush some of the rusted areas underneath the front of our unit I noticed a few water drips coming from the area where the waste pipe exits the underbody. While underneath the unit I pushed up on the plastic underbody covering and water started gushing out near the waste pipe. I pushed up several time to get as much water out as I could.

My problem is I have no idea on where to start. Obviously, there is a leak somewhere (either the shower, or sink, or toilet).

Do I have to tear the underbody covering off to get at the leak or should I start looking somewhere else to track the leak down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I called Heartland - since warranty is expired they don't care)

jbeletti

...Do I have to tear the underbody covering off to get at the leak or should I start looking somewhere else to track the leak down?...(I called Heartland - since warranty is expired they don't care)

As you have water leaking from the underbelly, I would take it down to inspect and dry that area out. If you have insulation that got wet, it will need to be dried or replaced. So yes, plan to take the underbelly down.

As for Heartland not caring because you are out of warranty - your claim sounds a bit off to me. Heartland Customer Service is there for all Heartland product owners, regardless of warranty status. The difference is warranty coverage. If you expected Heartland to tell you to take it to a dealer to get it fixed at no cost to you, then I feel your expectations were unrealistic.

What you should expect, if you ask, is for Customer Service to give you some ideas on how to approach this water leak issue. If you did not care for the response you got, if you did ask for ideas, please call back and ask for another rep.

Jim

cdnrver

To Jim:

Regarding: claims sounding a bit off; Heartland is there for all product owners "regardless of warranty status"; and unrealistic expectations, allow me to respond as follows:

We ordered our 2009 Sundance 2900mk in November 2007 and our unit was delivered around the end of January 2008. Prior to taking possession, we did a walkthrough (inside and out) and found numerous items that needed attention. The dealer addressed those concerns (or so we thought) and we took our unit home a couple weeks later. Because we were in the middle of winter up in BC we immediately put our unit into a storage facility. Our original plan was to go south for the winter of 2008-09 but due to unforeseen problems we had to cancel those plans. Knowing that the warranty would end in January 2009 we decided to take our unit out for a test run Labour Day weekend 2008. We used our unit for 5 days.

The following thread is a post that I submitted regarding that experience:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6952

This summer, we found that our circumstances changed allowing us to head south for this winter. We left BC on Nov 1st of this year. Over the next 11 days we traveled from BC to Texas. Along the way, we either drycamped in various parking lots (Flying J etc) or stayed at a few campgrounds. In all cases, we used their facilities. The only thing we used in our unit was the fridge and furnace. We arrived at one of our destinations here in Texas on Nov 12th. Shortly after setting up in this resort, I de-winterized our unit.

In total we have camped in our unit for 5 days in 2008 and for 7 days this week for a total of 12 days. Yesterday I found torn slide seals and while underneath discovered all the rust. Today the water issue (again). According to the topic that I posted on Sept 2/09 in this forum (above link) we complained about water leaks in both the kitchen and shower areas.

At my age. I've been around the block a few times, and although born at night, it wasn't last night. I understand how warranty works having worked all my life in the automotive industry. But I also understand that if you raise an issue during warranty and the issue is not corrected either because the problem wasn't fixed properly or because the problem was misdiagnosed, normally that particular issue would still be covered.

Aside from all reasons one could argue, I know one thing for sure. I have had far more problems with this unit than the number of days that I have used it. I you build something regardless of what it is, you would think that it would last more than 5 days in our first case and 7 days in this case without the many problems that we have had.

Is being frustrated with having as many issues as we've had after having used our unit for only 12 days in total considered as being a bit off or unrealistic?? Hoping that Heartland would be concerned with their product failing after such a short period of use and offer at least some kind of help - would that also be considered a strange or unrealistic reaction??

jbeletti

cdnrver,

Thanks for the additional insight. It puts your "they don't care" comment in a bit better context.

I wish warranties could be started and stopped based on usage. Sadly - they don't work this way as you know.

I did speak with the Director of Customer Service to verify that we will take your and any other "out-of-warranty" owners call and do our best to help you over the phone.

Is this the same as sending you to a dealer and covering all costs, post-warranty? It is not. As you've likely read on this forum, we have at times, extended warranty consideration past warranty expiration. In this area - it is not my call to make.

Sorry to hear of your most recent issues.

Jim

cdnrver

Well I took the front section of the underbelly off - lot of work - had to remove the spare tire bracket - and had some difficulty on one side due to the propane line - but lowered the cover enough to see underneath.

Had my wife run the toilet, sinks, and shower but could not see anything that was noticeable dripping down the lowered underbelly cover.

Either it's a slow leak somewhere in the lines that takes time to accumulate in the underbelly or the water is leaking out through the shower walls or base (like it was when I reported it to the dealer last year).

Had to button up the underbelly because we're pulling out day after tomorrow for our final winter destination further south in Texas where we will be for the next four months. So I will have to remove the underbelly all over again when I get settled in down there. I will also have to take all the storage compartment wall apart to see if I can get at all the water lines and check all connections.

If it's a loose connection that would not surprise me about the workmanship given the fact that when I lowered the underbelly cover, you should have seen all the garbage that fell out (bolts, sawdust, zip ties, pieces of wood and wiring, food wrappers etc) - they must not have garbage containers in their factory.

cdnrver

Jim:

I realize this is not the proper section to talk about his but just to give you and idea of our luck:

13th day of use: fridge has now developed a loud squeak in the bottom hinge every time door is opened.

14th day: rained hard all night here in Texas (near Corpus Christi) - woke up this morning and the entire carpet underneath the sofa bed next to the table is soaked.

Where does it stop !!!!!!

15th day: found rainwater in the bottom track of the rear fixed window - check both fixed windows and saw that the rubber seal has shrunk leaving a gap in each one (seal against the glass).

16th day: noticed rust spots forming inside on the walls of both tubs of the kitchen sink.

Last edited:

jbeletti

cdnrver,

I don't know. I hope your luck takes a turn for the better soon. Wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better.

Jim

cdnrver

As I said earlier, I need to remove the underbelly again when we get to our next destination and go through the entire plumbing system to track down the leak.

Another question, (not knowing much about plumbing) - aside from a loose connection or split line or water tank somewhere, are there any pressure valves, check valves, overflows, etc that I need to look for.

Also, is there a diagram floating around somewhere that shows the layout of the plumbing system in the Sundance 2900mk so that I can track everything down and try and fix this issue without having to unbutton the underbelly every time?

Any help would be appreciated.

tmcran

As I said earlier, I need to remove the underbelly again when we get to our next destination and go through the entire plumbing system to track down the leak.

Another question, (not knowing much about plumbing) - aside from a loose connection or split line or water tank somewhere, are there any pressure valves, check valves, overflows, etc that I need to look for.

Also, is there a diagram floating around somewhere that shows the layout of the plumbing system in the Sundance 2900mk so that I can track everything down and try and fix this issue without having to unbutton the underbelly every time?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can understand your frustration. We got our 2998RB in Feb 09. We had it in the dealers shop for several weeks the first 3 months of ownership. Leaks, trim falling off,shower leak and rubber seal and sweeps that needed to be replaced. This was all done under warranty but we had to cancel 3 trips due to the problems. Don't think for one minute that the RV indurstry is anything like the auto indurstry. I have a Buick with 5,000 miles out of waranty when 3 of the power window motors went out all within 2 weeks. GM stepped up and repaired them all at no cost. I was not referred to the motor manufacture for help. Good luck with your issures. Oh, You would mot believer all the saw dust, wood chip,screws, candy bar wrappers and etc I have found in my unit.