Weight question -NO WEIGHT POLICE PLEASE

mesteve

So I always hear talk of GCVW, RAWR, etc., but no one ever talks about hitch capacity much. I know what the technical answer is, but...

I have the opportunity to get the exact truck I want, but it has a B&W turnoverball already installed. I was wanting the new Ford factory solution to get the 20K OEM Companion. Reason being, we are contemplating getting a big TH with a GTWR of +/- 18K (19K if we go with another make), the max on the original Companion.

If we end up over 18K ready to camp, am I going to regret it if I skimped on the hitch mount? I have heard some complaints of the movement of the B&W and the companion set up that made people uneasy, or that person anyways.

Do I get the truck, worry about weights (still) or order, wait, and know my hitch will handle the maxed out trailer.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Is the OEM companion physically different than the regluar companion, or is it just the way the ball mount is attached to the frame, or is it just marketing numbers?

mesteve

The OEM companion uses the 4 attachment points installed by Ford vs the single gooseneck adapter.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am into overkill when it comes to safety. Bigger is better.
If you are contemplating a rig with a 19k gvwr, I would go to a 22-24k rated hitch.( Even though many hitch mfgrs. say their hitch will perform safely well over the stated rating).
20k would be cutting it too close. IMHO.
My BH has a gvwr of 16k. I got rid of my 16k hitch and went with a 20k. Trace

JJOren

So I always hear talk of GCVW, RAWR, etc., but no one ever talks about hitch capacity much. I know what the technical answer is, but...

I have the opportunity to get the exact truck I want, but it has a B&W turnoverball already installed. I was wanting the new Ford factory solution to get the 20K OEM Companion. Reason being, we are contemplating getting a big TH with a GTWR of +/- 18K (19K if we go with another make), the max on the original Companion.

If we end up over 18K ready to camp, am I going to regret it if I skimped on the hitch mount? I have heard some complaints of the movement of the B&W and the companion set up that made people uneasy, or that person anyways.

Do I get the truck, worry about weights (still) or order, wait, and know my hitch will handle the maxed out trailer.

We just went through this exact issue on our new F-350. Our Hitch dealer was pretty direct. He was willing to sell us the B&W if we wanted it, pointing out that it was under rated for our towing. We ended up ordering the Reese which put us within tolerances. After we got done with the order he said "You made the right decision. I've had 'movement issues' with 2 out of 3 B&W hitches I've sold where they were both under rated".

Glad I guessed right...LOL

Good Luck!

RoadJunkie

If you believe weight ratings are accurate, then don't over design your rig. If you get into the safety margin discussions--aka, makes me feel warm and fuzzy syndrome--then how far above the design rating do you go to make you feel "comfortable"? 20%, 50%, or just the next highest level you can afford? I just can't buy into the rope, belt, and suspenders to hold up my pants when a rope is sufficient. Now I know we're not talking about pants, but I hope you can visualize my comparison. I would imagine the typical designs on hitches have a operating rating and a failure rating. If your intended rig is at or below the operating rating, they I believe you're good to go.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you believe weight ratings are accurate, then don't over design your rig. If you get into the safety margin discussions--aka, makes me feel warm and fuzzy syndrome--then how far above the design rating do you go to make you feel "comfortable"? 20%, 50%, or just the next highest level you can afford? I just can't buy into the rope, belt, and suspenders to hold up my pants when a rope is sufficient. Now I know we're not talking about pants, but I hope you can visualize my comparison. I would imagine the typical designs on hitches have a operating rating and a failure rating. If your intended rig is at or below the operating rating, they I believe you're good to go.

I like a little extra margin when it comes to safety, that's all.

Many folks end up overloading their rigs.

If you end up putting something in your pockets you did not originally plan on, is the rope going to hold them up? Trace

RoadJunkie

I have to admit, Trace,...there has been more weight straining my pants, but not based on pocket overload! I may just need a longer rope. I'll have another cookie, please. Yummmm. ;)