What did you do to your camper today?

porthole

Retired
Folks who fulltime, and even if you don't, check your dryer vents on your Combo or stackables.

Today I thought I smelled "burning dust" smell by the Splendide Combo, after running 1 load.

I do the typical cleaning steps, as recommended by Splendide, and had just down them prior to this load.

Since the smell concerned me, I pulled the vent pipe away from the external vent and discovered a layer of lint and cat hair, the entire 3' length of the rigid metal pipe. The pipe is relatively horizontal with no bends, so I was really surprised to see so much lint! This is after 1 year full-timing. I plan to check it much more often!!

I had knocked the hose off over the winterization last year.
Went to hook it back up at this weekends past rally and thought 'oh boy' should have checked this a while ago !

The hose on our combo is way to long and it was packed pretty good. First time it was checked since purchased, June 2009.
I'm going to cut the hose and use tin pipe and a 90 for as much of the run as I can. Much easier to clean out.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Folks who fulltime, and even if you don't, check your dryer vents on your Combo or stackables.

Today I thought I smelled "burning dust" smell by the Splendide Combo, after running 1 load.

I do the typical cleaning steps, as recommended by Splendide, and had just down them prior to this load.

Since the smell concerned me, I pulled the vent pipe away from the external vent and discovered a layer of lint and cat hair, the entire 3' length of the rigid metal pipe. The pipe is relatively horizontal with no bends, so I was really surprised to see so much lint! This is after 1 year full-timing. I plan to check it much more often!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did that thing crawl around on it's own?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had knocked the hose off over the winterization last year.
Went to hook it back up at this weekends past rally and thought 'oh boy' should have checked this a while ago !

The hose on our combo is way to long and it was packed pretty good. First time it was checked since purchased, June 2009.
I'm going to cut the hose and use tin pipe and a 90 for as much of the run as I can. Much easier to clean out.

I said my dryer vent hose had no bends, but it does have a 90* angle from the unit, like this one. Then a rigid (semi-flexible) pipe going to the wall, that is fairly horizontal with no bends.

f0ad4604e8cdbc9ab8e620234713a126.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We thought about getting that signal meter, but then realized it wouldn't be any faster than using a signal source app on my phone (I use "TV Antenna helper FREE") and point it in the direction the phone tells me to then fine tune with the TV as the meter would have to be mounted out by the TV anyhow not in the room with the rooftop antenna adjuster, lol...

I have the apps, too . . . but they don't really work as well as the meter does.

Plus, up in the mountains there are very few places (at least where the campgrounds are, anywayz) that have cell service, so the apps don't always work.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yesterday I took a load of stuff out to the rig (left it in totes) and installed the two TV's. I also gave the carpeting a good vacuum with our home upright (run off portable generator). Before vacuuming, I decided to drop the two rear Ground Control jacks for a little more stability, but one of them would not operate, just made a loud ratcheting noise. After cleaning inside, I removed the jack motor...it works no problem, but no way I could operate the jack manually in the tight space. So I removed the jack and took it home. There, I removed the inner workings of the jack to see if there was any way to get inside it. Tried as I might to get it to move, it refused. And, nope, it's not made to disassemble, so I called Reico-Titan for some guidance. They were somewhat perplexed, but suggested I reassemble it and use the manual fitting with a ratchet on a breaker bar to try to free it (possibly corroded over the winter in the up position). Did that with one of my larger ratchets, lo and behold, with a mighty UMMPH! I got it to move nicely. Reconnected the powerhead and it works like new.

Three things learned: 1) it's advisable to operate the jacks occasionally while in winter storage, 2) Reico-Titan is still a good company to talk to, even if Lippert screwed them and prior customers big-time, 3) it's a real PITA removing one of those jacks lying on your back in the dirt/gravel with the sun in your face. Oh, yeah, and 4) there are nasty parts under the frame that like to smack your noggin.

TravelTiger

Yesterday I took a load of stuff out to the rig (left it in totes) and installed the two TV's. I also gave the carpeting a good vacuum with our home upright (run off portable generator). Before vacuuming, I decided to drop the two rear Ground Control jacks for a little more stability, but one of them would not operate, just made a loud ratcheting noise. After cleaning inside, I removed the jack motor...it works no problem, but no way I could operate the jack manually in the tight space. So I removed the jack and took it home. There, I removed the inner workings of the jack to see if there was any way to get inside it. Tried as I might to get it to move, it refused. And, nope, it's not made to disassemble, so I called Reico-Titan for some guidance. They were somewhat perplexed, but suggested I reassemble it and use the manual fitting with a ratchet on a breaker bar to try to free it (possibly corroded over the winter in the up position). Did that with one of my larger ratchets, lo and behold, with a mighty UMMPH! I got it to move nicely. Reconnected the powerhead and it works like new.

Three things learned: 1) it's advisable to operate the jacks occasionally while in winter storage, 2) Reico-Titan is still a good company to talk to, even if Lippert screwed them and prior customers big-time, 3) it's a real PITA removing one of those jacks lying on your back in the dirt/gravel with the sun in your face. Oh, yeah, and 4) there are nasty parts under the frame that like to smack your noggin.

Happened to us one time, too! And they called me (Erika) and walked me though how to get it working again (same as you said.)

I still have that extra remote if you want it! ;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure if it transmits on the same code as mine or if it can/needs to be reprogrammed. Reico-Titan was forced to give up all documents, files and parts for their Ground Control system when Sonny sold out to Lippert (who will not support original purchasers).

But PM me a price and maybe we can work out a trial purchase or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Not sure if it transmits on the same code as mine or if it can/needs to be reprogrammed. Reico-Titan was forced to give up all documents, files and parts for their Ground Control system when Sonny sold out to Lippert (who will not support original purchasers).

But PM me a price and maybe we can work out a trial purchase or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent you a pm.

I cleaned up the RV and decluttered everything.I am thinking of getting a Cctv camera (http://protectionplus.ca/commercial/security-cameras-cctv/ ) for the rv. But I am not sure whether we are allowed to get one. Are there any restrictions against it? I haven’t really heard of anyone getting a cctv camera for their rv so I am not so sure about this. I have heard that in 2010, the crimes at California state parks tripled than compared to the mid 1990’s( source: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/need-rv-security-system/# ). What do you guys do to keep yourself and the RV safe from burglary? But I guess that it is pretty rare for crimes to happen in RV parks since the neighbors can see what is going on and the criminals would have a hard time blending in.

Chippendale

I cleaned up the RV and decluttered everything.I am thinking of getting a Cctv camera (http://protectionplus.ca/commercial/security-cameras-cctv/ ) for the rv. But I am not sure whether we are allowed to get one. Are there any restrictions against it? I haven’t really heard of anyone getting a cctv camera for their rv so I am not so sure about this. I have heard that in 2010, the crimes at California state parks tripled than compared to the mid 1990’s( source: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/need-rv-security-system/# ). What do you guys do to keep yourself and the RV safe from burglary? But I guess that it is pretty rare for crimes to happen in RV parks since the neighbors can see what is going on and the criminals would have a hard time blending in.

Not sure how cost effective a security camera would be for an RV. I saw a Landmark awhile back where the owner had installed a modified SimpliSafe alarm system on each of the doors to his storage compartments and his front door. http://simplisafe.com/ I think he told me that the local police would be notified if there was a burglary, I guess he notifies the monitor of his location every time he moves. I have never worried much about someone messing with my stuff in a RV park, I seldom lock up except when I go to bed or leave the park, but then I have never camped in California. Might also be a good idea to change all the locks on your compartments, but when you get right down to it, the only crooks you are going to keep out are the "honest crooks" if someone wants your stuff, they will get it.

JohnD

Had a new tire mounted and balanced on the Prowler and swapped the spare with one of the other tires.

Plus, loading up for the Alto, NM HOC Rally next week.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Removed the whisper quiet return AC vent filters and gave them a good cleaning. 3 months of desert dust and dog dander!!!
d322ee85aa62eb346903a8b2717a7e50.jpg

tessa

today I installed the rear hitch for the bike rack- went in easy enough. yesterday I put the rear camera in. I think I'm done for awhile. LOL

Oregon_Camper

today I installed the rear hitch for the bike rack- went in easy enough. yesterday I put the rear camera in. I think I'm done for awhile. LOL

Have any pictures of the new hitch setup?

Any learning (or pictures) from the camera install? I'll be doing that in in the next 3-4 weeks.

JohnD

More loading in preparation for the NM HOC Rally next week . . .

Cleaned out a bunch of stuff that has accumulated in the cabinets that has proven unneeded . . .

I also flushed out the water lines and fresh water tank as I was still getting a little bleach smell from last weeks sanitation flush.

Plus, we have a snow storm rolling in and temps in the mid to low 20's at night for two nights, so drained the plumbing and hot water heater.

Also gassed up the truck at $2.01 per gallon . . .

rjr6150

Had appointment scheduled for wheel alignment and balance. Below are the before photos. If your ever in the North Platte, NE. area would highly recommend Todd's Alignment. These guys are amazing and for the work completed reasonable. Russ the head mechanic has been there 43 years. We now have wet bolts installed.
IMG_1720.jpgIMG_1720.jpgIMG_1721.jpgIMG_1722.jpg

tessa

Have any pictures of the new hitch setup?

Any learning (or pictures) from the camera install? I'll be doing that in in the next 3-4 weeks.
attachment.php

I did the hitch myself in about 30 minutes- it fit in nicely.
the camera went even easier- there was a mount already and all had to do was unscrew the existing cover, plug in the camera and screw it into the mount.
I plugged in the camera and the image showed up with no issues.

Attachments

• DSCF3754.jpg
    DSCF3754.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 122