What do you consider a high price for a site.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been to a lot of campgrounds since 2007 when I started fulltiming. I have been in a campsite for 3 days and it was $70 per day. That is all I could afford. Looking at some of the campsites many talk about that are really nice they are running from $50 per night to $70 and even $140 (for two units together). How many days do you stay.

I am here at the Gulf and it is $300 per month plus electric which may run $100/150. That is about $15 per night. I like CoE parks which are $20 per night and half off with a Golden Age Passport.

I also am a lifetime member of Passport America. Some of these are great and some are not so great.

Yet people still pay $50, 60, 70 per night. I thought KOA was bad.

Well I guess I am an old tightwad. But just curious. Thanks for the rant.

BC

TXTiger

Bob, here in San Diego some RV parks like Campland on the Bay are going for $65 to $100 per night. Or you can stay in a City of San Diego park for about $35 a night. Of course the City Park has no pool or beach front. Pachanga RV resort in Temecula is only $55 a night and RV parks in Palm Springs are going for about the same. I guess it just depends on the amenities you want.

mikeandconnie

The highest I've paid for a short vacation was a day rate of $190 for a back up gulf view step out onto the beach in Destin. My lowest monthly rates was a 450 flat rate in Texas. My highest monthly flat rate has been Maryland near DC $1850 and $2200 winter rate near the Beach in Southern Ca.... We travel for work and all the parks noted above was full and we had no choice but pay the going rate.

Last edited:

wrgrs50s

I guess I'm a tightwad too Bobcat. I whine about anything over $35 or $40 per night myself. But that's about average around the DFW area.

happykraut

Bob, pricing as I'm sure you know, depends a lot on location. $300 at the Gulf I think is dirt cheap. Looks like I'm a bigger tight wad than you. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't pay $70 per night. If you think KOA is high priced then you are right. We try to avoid them when possible. Every once in a blue moon you can find one that is reasonably priced. Thought I'd see you in Shipshewana, but don't see you on the list.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I like Thousand Trails with our membership we can stay for 3 weeks (21 days) for free or $3.00 a night for 50 amp. Since we are working for Southeast Publications selling advertising in their Guest Guides (RV Park maps) we stay free for 2 weeks while working at the park. When not staying at Thousand Trails or working we will pay around $35-40 a night a nice RV Parks. We don't need all of the bells and whistles. Also we use our Passport America, Good Sam and Coast to Coast cards which allow us to get healthy discounts.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I like Thousand Trails with our membership we can stay for 3 weeks (21 days) for free or $3.00 a night for 50 amp. Since we are working for Southeast Publications selling advertising in their Guest Guides (RV Park maps) we stay free for 2 weeks while working at the park. When not staying at Thousand Trails or working we will pay around $35-40 a night a nice RV Parks. We don't need all of the bells and whistles. Also we use our Passport America, Good Sam and Coast to Coast cards which allow us to get healthy discounts.

BTW KOA is starting a new discount program. If you have a KOA Value Card ($24 per year - goes to $27 a year April 1st) you can now get discounts at area merchants honoring the Value Card. Check in the KOA map for more information.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am with you Bob the park we stay in is $473 a month and that includes water/sewer and electric. Overnight is $35 though and all sites are concrete pull throughs. Ours is $20 more a month due to us being on the end on a patio site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Hi Bob!

We have been full time on the road now for almost 6 months and have yet to pay over $20 a night.
Yes, I'm a tightwad also! We have stayed in some nice places and boondocked in all sorts of places.
We are members of Good Sam / Passport America / Escapees and we have used coupons (from rv shows).
We tend to use coe / blm / nra / national Parks. We stayed in death Valley last week with fhu for $16.50 a night (fed senior pass) and we are now in a BLM campground at the base of Mt. Whitney for $2.50 a night. It's dry camping but the view is Magnificent!!!
Safe Travels Bob.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think that if I had to pay $100+ a night for a camp site, I'd rather get a room at the Holiday Inn!

Or the Motel 6 . . . at least they'll leave the light on for me! :p

$50 a night for a campsite is my 'don't go over' price limit . . .

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the responses.. Nice to see I'm not the only tightwad. I think if we all stay in campgrounds that have reasonable prices maybe many of the pricy campgrounds will reduce their price.

I have thought about campgrounds like TT but I don't want to put out a yearly fee when I'm not in the areas of the campgrounds they provide.

BC

stevenssr

Mill Creek Resort in Canton, TX is my highest rate. I just went last month during Canton Trade Days (First Monday). First Monday is a very big swap meet. The resort jacks up the prices on First Monday by about $14 from the usual rate (supply and demand I guess). I suspect that other places charge higher prices during peak days or seasons. I ended up paying $56 a day for a concrete pad and full RV hook ups. I didn't have a view of the ocean, the Grand Canyon, or even mountains (RV's are angled in about 10-15 feet apart). I think I've attended my last trade days weekend in Canton. Unless the owners club has a rally there again that is.

Kbvols

Since we don't full time and primarily use RV for vacations and weekends I am generally not too price sensitive and will pay more to ensure we have the amenities or location we like. What does tick me off thought is to pay a premium price and get a crappy site. For $80 a night I expect a level site bad enough it was gravel but at least make the thing level.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We just spent the last 3 months at, what I consider one of the best RV parks I've ever been in, Gulf Water RV Park in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. We paid a monthly rate that averaged out to a little over $53 a night. Well worth it in my opinion. Large, paved lots with plenty of landscaping, pool, activities, etc. Site cost included free wi-fi, cable and full hook-ups. Most other places we checked into, the cost of the site did not include electricity, so that would have to be taken into consideration when pricing sites. At Gulf Waters all you have to do is plug in and sit back and relax!! Can't wait to go back next winter and do it again.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
The Best price I had was a monthly price just West of Austin Tx in Beehive where I paid only 240/month + Electric and Water. yes they metered the water at each site. But being a lone-camper and showering once a week (Just Kidding ) the water bill was much less than the electric. I believe my total cost for the two months I stayed was less that 550.

I'm not a full timer but more of a destination camper, price is important but it will not stop me from selecting a campground near where I want to be as long as I'm not there that long. when I am going to be camping for months at a time - I do my homework and shop around before I select my campground.

Kevin

Kevin

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mill Creek Resort in Canton, TX is my highest rate. I just went last month during Canton Trade Days (First Monday). First Monday is a very big swap meet. The resort jacks up the prices on First Monday by about $14 from the usual rate (supply and demand I guess). I suspect that other places charge higher prices during peak days or seasons. I ended up paying $56 a day for a concrete pad and full RV hook ups. I didn't have a view of the ocean, the Grand Canyon, or even mountains (RV's are angled in about 10-15 feet apart). I think I've attended my last trade days weekend in Canton. Unless the owners club has a rally there again that is.

As far as canton goes, we prefer to get there Wednesday and stay in the north parking lot. They charge $20 a night and you get water and elec and can usually find a sewer connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

olcoon

I'm with ya Bob, and others. We've yet to pay over $30.00 for a site. We aren't interested in the in park amities, pool, etc. We like to explore the area instead of spending our time in a campground. Even when work camping we haven't used the pool or the other stuff in the campground. COE, state parks, national parks, are what we like.

Birchwood

The most we have paid is at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach($54).If we travel and stay nightly I look for around $30 and monthly around $15.At our resort in FL its $25 /nt for 4 months with everything in (elec,dig cable and WIFI) but its a private rental.

Pizzadigger

I camp when working out of town. best rate I've had in the last few years was while working in Winston-Salem. North of there 25 miles in Pinacle ,NC Pioneer Village Campground. Looks like a total dump. It's the quietest most peaceful campground I ever stayed at. No problems with thieves and it's not real pretty but it was.....$55 per WEEK.....no joke. I'd stay there again.

dave10a

I am a strong supporter of Capitalism after reaping its benefits and now enjoying the freedom it offers. I pay for the amenities I like. I do draw the line when a Campground owner does not put some of his profits back into the campground.