What generator to buy?

Oldelevatorman

Hi folks; We have a new Landmark Newport, didn't get the Onan over weight concerns since we're full timing. Don't want to spend 2grand for the two Honda's when I may only use it 3-4 times a year. Want enough to run 1ac and keep batteries up for inverter/fridge if we're stranded somewhere or w/out hookups for a night or 2. It'll go in the back of the truck. Rather have just one, not two! Thanks for any help.
Jim

Oregon_Camper

If you want AC...then you have two options

1 - Get 2 Honda (or Yamaha) small generators. They are superstars and are very very quiet.

2 - Get a knock-off larger generator....that will wake up folks a mile away. Plus getting it in/out your truck will be a a PITA.

I have one Yamaha EF2000 and love it. Now, I hardly ever use it anymore with my solar panel installation 1.5 years ago.

Yamaha Generator.JPG

avvidclif

Both Honda and Yamaha make a 3000w inverter model that will run 1 AC. Several other makes also but pay close attention to the noise level posted. The open frame "contractor" type generators will not make you popular in a campground. I would also want an inverter type.

With our previous trailer I had a Yamaha EF4500 that would run both AC's if you started them separately and had electric start, very quiet.

sengli

I recently went down this same road. I didnt buy an inverter generator, as I am not going to use just for my RV use. I will admit it is louder than expected when in use. I bought a dual fuel 5000W champion. Works great so far, but I cant imagine anyone putting up with this noise level in a camp ground setting.

esscobra

Honda has the 3000 handi- not electric start buy small and 1 person lift into truck- ran 15k coleman on previous unit- not tried yet on new bighorn with 15k dometic- judging by progressive readout -they pull more- I am planning on trying in early june at indy car race- I installed onan 7k fuel injected - I camp w/o hookups for 6-7 days at a time at racetracks a lot- had Honda 7k on previous unit ran everything - also Yamaha makes a 3000sib- which uses inverter and internal battery for a boost to start a/cs- will run 8-10 hrs fully loaded and quiet and reliable as Honda- have on on enclosed race car trailer.

Gaffer

Buy a name brand 3k genny. You want something reliable. You can find a low hours used one sometimes.

I am also thinking about a gen for our BigHorn but am a little confused. I don't understand what an inverter generator is. Can you clarify? Thanks

Mark & Peggy Turnbough.
2017 BigHorn 3270RS
2016 F-250, 6.7 Diesel
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags

esscobra

the inverter models correct and stabilize the a/c output - makes it clean and safe for electronics and computers tvs etc. I have no issues with my onan and have never heard of anyone having issues with an onan cuasing failures

crussian

Hello All; I also have a Honda 3000is. I initially bought it in 2005 for a much shorter 5th wheel (25 foot) with 1 air conditioner and a gas refrigerator. It did a great job. The air conditioner was a small one. I graduated to the Oakmont and thought, well, we do boondock so why no keep the genny. As fate would have it, we were at the annual Country Thunder Music Festival and boondocking. Side note: I do have the residential refrigerator. It was a bit toasty out in Florence, AZ., so I fired up my trusty Honda and had high hopes of it cooling down the unit for lunch. Wrong! A big wrong. The air conditioner (15K) ran for about 30 seconds, beeped, and the genny died. So, the 3000is will not run a refrigerator AND the air conditioner at the same time. I did not experiment by disconnecting the refrigerator and trying again. It just wasn't meant to be. I do have the spec's,

FeaturesEngineHonda GX200
Displacement196cc
3000 watts, 120VAC Output120V 3000W max.(25A) 2800W rated (23.3A)
Power for your furnace, fridge, microwave, most 13,500 BTU RV AC units, and moreReceptacles20A 125V Duplex, 30A 125V Locking Plug
Super quietDC Output12V, 144W (12A)
Convenient electric startStarting SystemRecoil, electric
Fuel efficient - up to 20 hrs on 3.4 gal of gasFuel Tank Capacity3.4 gal.
Inverter - stable power for computers and moreRun Time per Tankful7.1 hrs. @ rated load, 20 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H)25.9" x 17.6" x 22.0"
Noise Level58 dB(A) @ rated load, 49 dB(A) @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight131 lbs.
Residential Warranty3 Years
Commercial Warranty3 Years
I love how I can run for 20 hours on a few gallons. I don't like hauling the fuel, but....

So there you have my own personal experience. Hope it helps in the decision making process.

esscobra

it might run just the a/c- prob have to run fridge off inverter - or shut off most other things- including converter/charger- I will hopefully be able to test my 3000 handi in next week or so to see if it runs the a/c or not, and will try and test the Yamaha 3000 as well- I agree that you wont be running to much more than the a/c with a 3k- the dometic a/c pull a lot of power

- - - Updated - - -

I installed the onan 7k fuel injected unit for that reason- runs both a/c's two tv/sat recievers- 2 soundbars, residential fridge , travler dish, and microwave along with all normal things like converter, lights etc. with no issues

LBR

Hello All; I also have a Honda 3000is. I initially bought it in 2005 for a much shorter 5th wheel (25 foot) with 1 air conditioner and a gas refrigerator. It did a great job. The air conditioner was a small one. I graduated to the Oakmont and thought, well, we do boondock so why no keep the genny. As fate would have it, we were at the annual Country Thunder Music Festival and boondocking. Side note: I do have the residential refrigerator. It was a bit toasty out in Florence, AZ., so I fired up my trusty Honda and had high hopes of it cooling down the unit for lunch. Wrong! A big wrong. The air conditioner (15K) ran for about 30 seconds, beeped, and the genny died. So, the 3000is will not run a refrigerator AND the air conditioner at the same time. I did not experiment by disconnecting the refrigerator and trying again. It just wasn't meant to be. I do have the spec's,

FeaturesEngineHonda GX200
Displacement196cc
3000 watts, 120VAC Output120V 3000W max.(25A) 2800W rated (23.3A)
Power for your furnace, fridge, microwave, most 13,500 BTU RV AC units, and moreReceptacles20A 125V Duplex, 30A 125V Locking Plug
Super quietDC Output12V, 144W (12A)
Convenient electric startStarting SystemRecoil, electric
Fuel efficient - up to 20 hrs on 3.4 gal of gasFuel Tank Capacity3.4 gal.
Inverter - stable power for computers and moreRun Time per Tankful7.1 hrs. @ rated load, 20 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H)25.9" x 17.6" x 22.0"
Noise Level58 dB(A) @ rated load, 49 dB(A) @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight131 lbs.
Residential Warranty3 Years
Commercial Warranty3 Years
I love how I can run for 20 hours on a few gallons. I don't like hauling the fuel, but....

So there you have my own personal experience. Hope it helps in the decision making process.
Shut off your 15A 120V breaker to the refrigerator, then fire up the generator, turn on AC and chances are it will be a happy clam.

When the 15A breaker is left on and shore power is "marginal", the refer compressor starting pull off of the generator overwhelming it as you found out. With breaker off and soley from inverter, the battery bank absorbs that initial hit along with running refer. Then the convertor sees that it just needs to charge batteries more when refer is on....not a problem....worth a shot and let us know if it works as blueprinted here....lol

SLO

I have been thinking about replacing my current generator with this one https://amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100263-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY. I like the ability to use propane and not have to haul gas around with me. It is an inverter type and has pretty reasonable decibel rating.

I have that one but not dual fuel. Bought at Costco in case to was too loud. But it's not, noise on par with Honda. It will sit for 6 months sometimes and takes one pull to start. Honda is the best but this one is a lot less $.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redryak

Hi. I am completely 100 percent new to travel trailers. I just bought my first travel trailer for myself so I can talk my granddaughter turkey hunting. I have only used tents and a tent trailer (which was basically a glorified tent with nothing but bed in it). So I have a question...are the generators you have all talked about owning good for my Mallard M28?

Thank in advance...so excited to go on my first trip.

Donna

jimtoo

Hi Redryak,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

esscobra

hooked up the Honda 3000i handi yesterday- had residential fridge running off inverter- did not turn off any breakers- plugged handi in- ran living room unit on fan for a few- switched to a/c - overload light came on for brief sec- then was fine- ran a/c for about 15 min - no issues- so the 3000honda handi will run a newer dometic 15k and converter etc- I will do some more testing this weekend at indy car race

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I just got a Black Max 3600 Watt generator (on sale at Sam's Club for $299) and it will power the 15k AC, the microwave, the fridge, and the TV all at the same time with power to spare (according to the EMS reading). It has the 3 prong 30 Amp receptacle for direct hookup of the rig power cord. It only weighs 110 pounds and is easier to get in and out of the truck than the 7000 watt Black Max gen that I have. I will convert it to Tri-fuel at a later date as propane is more efficient, cooler, and quieter than reg gas. It also has a floating ground so I needed to use the grounding plug that Progressive sells.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also didn't get a Onan gen for our Key Largo because we didn't want to give up the front storage and secondly, really didn't think we would ever use one. As we were planning our Alaska trip, we thought it might would be a good idea to be safe so CW had the Honda 2000 on sale back in April for less than $800. Went to pick up 2 but instead bought the new to the market Champion 3800 hybrid for less than $600. It's DBA is about the same as Hondas and doesn't take up as much room as 2 gens would. We have already had to use it in OH when the tornado went thru the Dayton area taking out the power. It runs one a/c and tvs, refrig, etc with no problems. I did turn the a/c off to use the microwave.