What if? (6.5' bed dually)

ILH

What if all three, or at least one of the big three truck manufacturers offered a dually truck with a 6.5' bed specifically for 5th wheel haulers. Would you buy one?

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Re: What if?

I just seen a new short bed ram last year. It just didn't look right with the short bed and I didn't like it at all.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I would not buy a different pickup without an 8' bed. So my answer is no also...

Just out of curiosity, why buy a short bed. If you're going to pull a 5th wheel why loose the space? it really isn't a big problem... Not to me anyway.

FWIW
BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If you're dragging a 40' trailer around, what difference is having an 18" shorter truck bed going to make? I also say no. My truck does a lot more than just pull the rig.

Vinny773

No, I love my Ram dually long bed. What is the advantage of a short bed? Does it matter when towing a 5th wheel? I don't think so.

szewczyk_john

I have a Ram Mega Cab with the short box. We did this so the kids and dogs would have room and I have never regretted my decision. I doubled the size of my house with a huge addition. The short box did not prevent me from getting any material to my house. I always lay a piece of 3/4 inch plywood over the hitch rails and never had any issues.

porthole

Retired

Ford use to offer, but I wouldn't buy one.
If I have to deal with all that goes along with DRW's I may as well have the space..

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

The 8' bed allows for more standard fuel capacity. It also allows the space for fuel storage in the bed.

ILH

The reason I brought up the question in the first place is two fold:

1. Its an awful lot of truck to drive and park the other 90% of the time
2. A lot of suburban driveways can't handle a truck that long. Mine can't. My crew cab 6.5 box is nose to the garage and tail to the sidewalk.

1231ChaseB

Your not going to buy a GM truck with a long bed any more ! The only way to get a long bed is with a regular cab ! They have even changed the name's of the truck's ! No more crew cab or extended cab ! They have another name now !
chaseb

ILH

Your not going to buy a GM truck with a long bed any more ! The only way to get a long bed is with a regular cab ! They have even changed the name's of the truck's ! No more crew cab or extended cab ! They have another name now !
chaseb

I believe the three cab sizes are regular, double and crew. Extended is no longer used. As far as I know, the 3500 is only available in long bed for GM.

szewczyk_john

Not to hijack this thread but what if we change the question a little. What if your preferred brand offered you the truck you wanted to order but offered it to you with a RV body instead of the pick up bed? lets say it was just a basic diamond plate RV body with a flat area between the cab and the hitch rails big enough to load a skid (pallet) onto and tie downs to secure it. Had 2 or 3 lockable door compartments under each side, with rails welded to the bed and a gooseneck hitch located between the rails. Would that be an option that you would consider instead of the pick up bed?