What is correct closre on lippert slides?

NHCelt

While waiting for delivery of our BH 3270RS, I have been trying to get up to speed on differences in mechanicals between this unit and what I am familiar with. I have no experience with hydraulic slideout systems, and want to make sure our slideouts work properly when I do the PDI...

so, any input as to what I should be looking at when I test my slideouts.....my only experience is with electric gear driven slides in Carriage products.

Also, should these slides close square to the sidewall...meaning should the top and bottom of the slideout gaskets touch at the wall at the same time? With my Carriage, the rule was that it was ok if the top touched first by a little bit....which always seems to make sense on that design. What is my goal with regard to slide alignment at the PDI?

Also, any other specific problem areas that others have had on their Bighorns. This is our sixth trailer or fifth wheel, so we are pretty savvy, but not yet aware of the weaknesses of the BH...

Thanks...NHCelt

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypowell

Don't know your rig but they will close lightest to heaviest. They will all move a little at first. On our 3010 the kitchen/couch slide comes in first and then the chair/kitchen table slide. They go out the opposite. Our bedroom is on cable.

We had a 3055 where they were all hydraulic and the bedroom came in first and then the others as above.

About the fit.....not a good answer here as people report them top first and bottom first....don't hear too many perfect fits. Mine is closer at the top.

About the quality and what to watch out for.....get answers all across the spectrum on this one too. We have had two HL 5th wheels and have very few problems. Fixed most of them myself with parts send from HL. Others swear they will never buy another HL due to the poor quality.

Best thing is to do a complete 4 - 5 hour PDI and then stay on the lot for a day or two if you can.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At your PDI, if the hydraulic slide frames are not flush to the wall when the pump stops, have the dealer adjust them so they do. There should not be a gap anywhere around the top and sides when they're retracted. Unless there's something seriously wrong with the slide, it's not much more than adjusting the nuts on the hydraulic rams.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Best thing is to do a complete 4 - 5 hour PDI and then stay on the lot for a day or two if you can.

I've seen many posts here where some will say that ("stay on the lot for a day or two if you can." following the PDI).

I've been to many RV dealerships over the years and I've never seen a one that will let you stay on their property over night!

At a nearby campground, maybe . . . but most every RV dealership has a fence and a gate and lock up their lots when they are closed.

Garypowell

JohnD is probably right in today's world. When we bought our first rig in 1995 and our second in1999 we did stay at the dealership overnight. They had like 5 spots set up.

But it it never hurts to ask.....they have water and power to the rig.

NHCelt

Thanks for all the replies so far. I purchased from McGeorges in VA, and although they will let us spend a night there, we will be staying at a nearby campground. Thanks again....suggestions welcome!

danemayer

Slides should close fully on the outside. On the inside, when slides are out, closure is not quite as tight. You'll probably find you can run your fingers between the interior trim of the slide, and the wall.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Slides should close fully on the outside. On the inside, when slides are out, closure is not quite as tight. You'll probably find you can run your fingers between the interior trim of the slide, and the wall.

If the seal on the back of the trim is not contacting the wall when the slide is out, you may have a problem that needs adjusting.