what tire?

MC9

I want to put new tires on our Sundance. Narrowed it down a bit, What is your opinion? BF Goodrich Commercial TA or Firestone/Bridgestone Transforce HT? Because of the spacing between axles I have to stay at 30.7 in. max diameter.

ultrafarmer

I put on Maxxis tires this spring and have pulled the trailer over 10,000 miles and no problem's. I have been to Alaska and other places. The roads up there are not the best but they took it.

GOTTOYS

Either one will work just fine in spite of what the ST tire "experts" tell you. I have Commercial LTs on mine and am very satisfied with them...Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd be concerned with sidewall flex with a LT tire. I'd go with Maxxis. (I'm still looking for tires myself, but my rig may be heavier than yours.)

E

GOTTOYS

If you were to compare the sidewall thickness in an LT tire to the sidewall in an ST tire (I did) you will find the LT tire is actually much thicker and stiffer. This accounts for the fact that LT tires will weigh a minimum of 10-20 pounds more than a comparable size ST tire. There is nothing wrong with a Maxxis tire if you must stick with a ST tire but that is the only one I would consider. I put a set of Commercial LTs on my Big Country just after I bought it and have never looked back. I am now at about 6,000 miles trouble free miles. Just my opinion and you won't talk me out of them...Don

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I put the Maxxis on because of the distance between the tires. It was the same as the original. Finishing up on 2 years with no problems.

Grdsman

I put on Maxxis tires this spring and have pulled the trailer over 10,000 miles and no problem's. I have been to Alaska and other places. The roads up there are not the best but they took it.
Ultrafarmer,

Did you go with the Load Range D or E? I have a 3210 as well and am having a hard time finding E rated tires around here. I need to check to see if the rims can handle the air pressure of E rated tires, too....

MC9

Update: Went with the Firestone Transforce HT in 245 75 16. Basically the same diameter as the 235 80 16. Made in Canada.Took very little lead to balance (good sign). The old Towmasters (2.5 yrs), one worn bald on the outside half way around, the dealer said had bad belts. two more bad or broken belts. I was lucky I got them changed in time. Had about 13k on them, still lots of tread. I have warm fuzzies about the Transforces.

Birchwood

I do know one thing I will get rid of my Goodyear 614 tires as soon as they wear.The weights they have to apply to balance
them is ridiculous.No wonder Heartland never balanced them at purchase !!!Had to replace one of them this week because it
were beyond balancing.If I ever purchase another fifth wheel the focus will be on the tires as that may be the most important
component of the trailer .

lwmcguir

I do know one thing I will get rid of my Goodyear 614 tires as soon as they wear.The weights they have to apply to balance
them is ridiculous.No wonder Heartland never balanced them at purchase !!!Had to replace one of them this week because it
were beyond balancing.If I ever purchase another fifth wheel the focus will be on the tires as that may be the most important
component of the trailer .

Never had a problem with any of mine and we have quite a few. Sounds like you must have some bad ones. Take them to the dealer to have them checked out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Never had a problem with any of mine and we have quite a few. Sounds like you must have some bad ones. Take them to the dealer to have them checked out.

If they're relatively new, that's what I would do. But take them to a tire dealer that can do road force analysis. I once bought a set of GY tires at Sears for my Avalanche and they rode like crap. Finally had that test done (my dime), took the results back to the shop at Sears and they gave me two new ones. Some tires just cannot be balanced because they have a mold defect.

TeJay

Just one question. Regarding any of the choices being discussed. Are any of them radial tires??? If not why??? I've been reading tire posts on the forums for a few years now and few speak of the radial design as being appropriate for travel trailers. As far as I know radial tires are used on every vehicle from 18 wheelers down to every car/truck on the road. Utility and most TT's use ST tires. Why?? There must be a good reason. I hope it's not, "Well that's what we've always used." Radial tires run with less rolling friction, therefore less wear and higher fuel mileage for the TV. The steel belts are stronger and should be more resistant to punctures and blowouts. I may be wrong but I don't know why anyone would put anything but a radial tire on anything that is either driven or pulled down the road. Stiffer sidewalls for trailers may be one reason but A 6 ply sidewall radially designed tire would flex more than a bias ply tire. I would appreciate an answer to this question since I just can't think any reason.
Thanks,
TeJay

lwmcguir

Just one question. Regarding any of the choices being discussed. Are any of them radial tires??? If not why??? I've been reading tire posts on the forums for a few years now and few speak of the radial design as being appropriate for travel trailers. As far as I know radial tires are used on every vehicle from 18 wheelers down to every car/truck on the road. Utility and most TT's use ST tires. Why?? There must be a good reason. I hope it's not, "Well that's what we've always used." Radial tires run with less rolling friction, therefore less wear and higher fuel mileage for the TV. The steel belts are stronger and should be more resistant to punctures and blowouts. I may be wrong but I don't know why anyone would put anything but a radial tire on anything that is either driven or pulled down the road. Stiffer sidewalls for trailers may be one reason but A 6 ply sidewall radially designed tire would flex more than a bias ply tire. I would appreciate an answer to this question since I just can't think any reason.
Thanks,
TeJay

TeJay,

I think they are all radials in the 16" and above.

Sandpirate69

I know i've placed several posts about tires and rims. I will only say this. If you have 6K axles & have 16" rims, you may get away buying a few tires, like the Goodyears 614, not to mention your rims must be able to hold 110lbs of psi. I in the other hand have 7K axles and need tires that can hold a min of 3500lbs load each. There is only one that I found and I still had to purchase new rims because the rims I have only hold 80psi max & those tires hold up to 110psi. Conclusion: go to the 17.5" rims & have a bigger variety of manufacturers for this tire size.

Just my 2 cents

Ivan

caissiel

I was talking with my friend today as we were winterizing his bros. in law's trailer and noticed his rims on an SOB trailer were 8 bolt model. Then I noticed his tires were GY radials load range D. Max air pressure for the tires are 65PSI and 3000 lbs capacity on 6K axles.

His bros. in law has an other SOB trailer and he has 6 bolt rims on 6K axles with load range E Chinese tires and 80PSI. With a tire load capacity of around 3100 lbs.

There is defenitly no standards on trailer tires that I have noticed.

Sandpirate69

I was talking with my friend today as we were winterizing his bros. in law's trailer and noticed his rims on an SOB trailer were 8 bolt model. Then I noticed his tires were GY radials load range D. Max air pressure for the tires are 65PSI and 3000 lbs capacity on 6K axles.

His bros. in law has an other SOB trailer and he has 6 bolt rims on 6K axles with load range E Chinese tires and 80PSI. With a tire load capacity of around 3100 lbs.

There is defenitly no standards on trailer tires that I have noticed.

No, there is no apparent standard for trailer tires. I would have thought that these companies promoting the use of RV's for family adventure & travels would keep just that in their heads. FAMILY ! It is obvious that any advertisement to lure the travel enthusiast will be used. Not thinking that they are promoting a family atmosphere adventure. Therefore, they should use top notch parts on these rigs. We pay TOP $$$$ for these rigs, so you expect to have quality equipment. Especially knowing that it will be behind a TV loaded with the family, including the family dog. I have already priced the rims & tires for my RW305, just shy of 3K to my front door (compete set of 5) .

Thanks,
Ivan