Wheel Bearings

jnbhobe

I hand pack mine and repack every 3 or 4 years, but they say to do it every 12 months or 12K miles

Lynn1130

I am having mine done now and when I asked that question in the service department they said they should be checked and repacked every year or 5K miles. Bearings have to be removed to be inspected and replacement is determined at that time. It may be that they want to sell a service but I do know that at, in this case $99 an axle, it is cheap insurance. Having a bearing seize and do major damage in the middle of no where is not my idea of fun.

mlpeloquin

Once a year before winter. Not that cold here in northern California, but I want to check the bearings and seats along with the brakes. I also want to do this before the rainy season starts. The bearings so far have looked good and the grease still looked fine so once a year seems to be good. Better to check everything including the suspension and hangers up close as well. I do look at the hangers and springs before I go out every time, but you cannot see the magnet, shoes, or bearings.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Having a bearing seize and do major damage in the middle of no where is not my idea of fun.

We know that only too well . . .

At least we were passing through Phoenix when it happened and luckily was only about a mile away from Sun City RV!

SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg

SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hand pack mine and repack every 3 or 4 years, but they say to do it every 12 months or 12K miles

Even though we average less than 500 miles a year on it, I still have them done every two years. Only time we accrue more miles is if we go to a Goshen rally, driving down from our seasonal site in northern Michigan.

asherwin

Perhaps a silly question, but why do you need to repack the bearings on the 5ver more frequently than on the tow vehicle?

MTPockets

Perhaps a silly question, but why do you need to repack the bearings on the 5ver more frequently than on the tow vehicle?
Based purely on the bearing technical specs, the frequency would be the same if all conditions were the same. Trailers tend to sit still for much longer periods of time allowing some of the oil to separate from the carrier.. Some surface rust could begin on the bearing raceways. (It's the oil in the carrier that does the lubrication) (the carrier, lithium or other bases, simply hold the oil-like a sponge). Most trailers don't have as precise suspension as vehicles, and are rated more closely to maximum ratings. Automotive wheel assemblies and seal systems are better, engineered for an abundance of caution as they carry people. It wasn't always the case, older cars needed more regular maintenance. Based on how most trailers are used (infrequently) an annual repack is the safe way to go. These are some of the reasons.

rxbristol

Based purely on the bearing technical specs, the frequency would be the same if all conditions were the same. Trailers tend to sit still for much longer periods of time allowing some of the oil to separate from the carrier.. Some surface rust could begin on the bearing raceways. (It's the oil in the carrier that does the lubrication) (the carrier, lithium or other bases, simply hold the oil-like a sponge). Most trailers don't have as precise suspension as vehicles, and are rated more closely to maximum ratings. Automotive wheel assemblies and seal systems are better, engineered for an abundance of caution as they carry people. It wasn't always the case, older cars needed more regular maintenance. Based on how most trailers are used (infrequently) an annual repack is the safe way to go. These are some of the reasons.

Nice explanation.

Piperflyer

I have the ez-lube system on my wheel bearings and I am ready to grease my bearings. Do you think this way of greasing the bearings really works or would it be better to have a dealer do it and pack the bearings? I have read where it takes a tube of grease for each wheel. That's a lot of grease.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I have the ez-lube system on my wheel bearings and I am ready to grease my bearings. Do you think this way of greasing the bearings really works or would it be better to have a dealer do it and pack the bearings? I have read where it takes a tube of grease for each wheel. That's a lot of grease.

Wheel bearings should be cleaned, inspected, and repacked at least once a year, the EZ-Lube setup is great for greasing the hubs in-between inspections. Grease does break down with Temperature, use, and time so giving the zerks a shot of grease after a trip wont hurt a thing!

jnbhobe

I usually repack mine every 3 to 4 years that's about 35 k

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk