Why Trailer Brakes are important.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You can pull anything with a 1 Ton these days, but can you stop it?

qeha9esu.jpg

I do not know the history of the picture. But seeing the condition of the pickup is something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had a bit of a problem heading to the Goshen rally last summer when my brake controller indicated that there was no signal from the trailer. Judicious use of the truck brakes, speed/distance control and downshifting got me through. Problem was oxidation on the connection. Some contact cleaner and working the connection cleared it up. Another item for the checklist.

scottyb

That's precisely what's bugging me with Rams new tow rating of 30K. You know that Ford and GM will follow.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Theoretically a trailer should be made with enough braking power to stop itself.
The towing and braking capacity of the TV should be viewed as a completely separate issue. Just my two cents. Trace

Last edited:

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
That's precisely what's bugging me with Rams new tow rating of 30K. You know that Ford and GM will follow.

That is the first thing I thought when I saw this. Gonna need some good brakes with a 37k GCWR.

Speedy

Look what's on the trailer, steel beams and posts. Big ones. Then look at the gooseneck, looks like the coupler failed since it is missing. Wonder if the safety chains were attached?

Lots of questions and little answers.

priorguy

Definitely a Big Tex goose neck. Not to say the trailer was too big for the truck, but when the accident occurred it ploughed right though the TV. Looks he took the ditch at full speed for that to happen. Another poster for texting and driving. I do shake my head when I see an HD pickup towing heavy equipment like a bull dozer or excavator. And not the little ones either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Look what's on the trailer, steel beams and posts. Big ones. Then look at the gooseneck, looks like the coupler failed since it is missing. Wonder if the safety chains were attached?

Lots of questions and little answers.

Safety chains will not help in this situation. The coupler and ball are far stronger then two chains. If the damage was bad enough to separate the couple from the ball the chains surely will not help at all. Let alone fold the coupler over like that.

wdk450

You know there are FINALLY standardized tests by all the truck manufacturers as to towing capability. It used to be that each company's engineers had their own rating test, and this is one of the reasons Dodge RAM kept coming in rated lower than the rest. I don't know if the new standardized test has braking capability factored in or not.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You know there are FINALLY standardized tests by all the truck manufacturers as to towing capability. It used to be that each company's engineers had their own rating test, and this is one of the reasons Dodge RAM kept coming in rated lower than the rest. I don't know if the new standardized test has braking capability factored in or not.

Yes it has braking as part of the test but I don't remember the requirements.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That is pretty scary looking . . .

By the looks of that truck I'm left wondering if the driver survived?

Our old travel trailer always had brake issues . . .

In other words . . . they always worked when you didn't need them and NEVER worked WHEN you really needed them!

Try doing Wolf Creek Pass with no trailer brakes . . . :mad:

At least the brakes in our 2013 Trail Runner work perfectly, although I wonder if I should get a new controller since the one I have now is about 13 years old.

marvmarcy

We could have looked like that when our previous 20,000+ lb trailer was rearended by a big tour bus while driving on I 70 west of St Louis. Our truck and massive hitch saved us. I don't worry about trailer brakes failing or decending Rocky Mtn passes. Yes, I know most consider it overkill, but we love it.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
That is pretty scary looking . . .

By the looks of that truck I'm left wondering if the driver survived?

Our old travel trailer always had brake issues . . .

In other words . . . they always worked when you didn't need them and NEVER worked WHEN you really needed them!

Try doing Wolf Creek Pass with no trailer brakes . . . :mad:

At least the brakes in our 2013 Trail Runner work perfectly, although I wonder if I should get a new controller since the one I have now is about 13 years old.

I wondered the same thing. I had the original Prodigy and ever had much breaking power with my Bighorn. after talking to someone else having a similar problem with horse trailer, I bought the new prodigy P3. Brake problem solved.

JanAndBill

Having recently encountered a panic stop situation that left us shook up for hours after, I can tell you that it is amazing how many things can go through your mind in a matter of a split second. I wasn't that concerned with the crash (if it actually occured), because our speed was low enough and we have a heavy steel front winch mount, attached to the frame. I remember my biggest concern was, is some part of the hitch going to fail and let the trailer come through the cab. Fortunately for us we didn't have to put it to the test. All my brakes are in good shape and working properly, my hitch is mounted correctly, but if you have a front end impact, all the stopping force for the trailer is centered on the hitch.

priorguy

Depending on the age of the TV you can have the factory brake controller installed. I had to add mine after the fact and the parts and labor wound up cheaper then factory ordering it. It has indash display more information and control than available from most after market addons. It is most likely a prodigy or cequent product modded by the factory.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had IS and disc brakes added to the Key Largo....best 5K we EVER spent!! Cannot believe the stopping ability of this rig....we will ALWAYS have disc brakes, no matter how long we are out here on the road!! Our Chevy did a great job on it's own with electric brakes on the Bighorn...but there is NO comparison between the electric and disc brakes!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is like I have always said an F150 can tow a locomotive, it is stopping it that is the problem.

priorguy

Also, always assume the guy behind you doesn't maintain his truck or trailer and the brakes might not be in the best if shape no matter how shiny the rig is. Leave plenty of space and don't cut off the bigger toys out there on the road so you can get your off ramp to the Starbucks 2 seconds faster. The bigger they are, the slower they stop.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Scottyb, GM 1tn DRW trucks have a rating of 31K for 2WD and 30500K for 4 WD. This rating started in 2011 and are still inplace for the 2013 trucks. I think that Ford has the same ratings {+/-) starting 2011 also. Sorry...Dodge was a few years behind until 2013.