Winegard Travler Install

VMooreSR

Started the install of the Winegard Travler . Found the prewired coax and power control cable no problem, also found another wire that's like a speaker wire, one side white the other purple. I was wondering if anyone new what this might be for?
The wire coiled up in first picture. Thanks, Vince

2ewmtc0.jpg
15oec1y.jpg

wdk450

Vince:
Since you have had no replies so far I will venture a guess that the white and purple pair might be 12 volt power, although these are usually red and white.

You probably need to call Heartland service (have your VIN # ready) for help. They should have all the build drawings on your rig on file.

VMooreSR

Bill,
That was the first thing I did was call Heartland, person told me they had no schematics (weird) and that it is probably an extra wire for some option that was not installed Hmmm. Also it would be nice if Heartland and Winegard would put these coax's and power cables in
some sort of weather proof electrical box on the roof so a person wouldn't stress about drilling that hole in the roof, especially drilling and not finding those wires.
Vince

wdk450

Vince:
Try contacting Cary Katzenberg (Landmark and Bighorn product manager) at Heartland Service. He also can be contacted through this forum (Personal Messaging) with the username " Karykatz ". You might also try to talk to Eric McDaniel, Heartland Service department manager - he will help you if he possibly can.

ParkIt

Dan, do you have one for us with older units? I wanted to install a FTA up front and separate it from the A, B, C (living area, bedroom, outside) hook up on the surround sound.

Vince, how did you access the wires to start? I'm assuming from the inside then went up on the roof to fish them up there for connecting?

brianharrison

I am wondering if there is a satellite roof mount system on the market today that may require, or able to use, a separate 12V feed. Possibly HL has recently began to install a 12V supply if that is the case - a call to Kary will confirm. Please report back with what you find.

Thanks.
Brian

wdk450

I am wondering if there is a satellite roof mount system on the market today that may require, or able to use, a separate 12V feed. Possibly HL has recently began to install a 12V supply if that is the case - a call to Kary will confirm. Please report back with what you find.

Thanks.
Brian

Brian:
Frankly I am not intimately familiar with the rooftop satellite dishes, and only answered with a guess because nobody else seemed to be responding. That having being said, ALL of the motorized satellite antennas are going to need a fair amount of electrical power to run the aiming motors. I can't believe the limited 15 volts DC on the coax (nominally for the LMB amplifiers) from the satellite receiver is enough to do this. I DO know that the Carryout portable satellite antennas need a separate 12 volt power feed. So, my initial reply about the extra pair of wires was with this thought in mind.

VMooreSR

Dan, do you have one for us with older units? I wanted to install a FTA up front and separate it from the A, B, C (living area, bedroom, outside) hook up on the surround sound.

Vince, how did you access the wires to start? I'm assuming from the inside then went up on the roof to fish them up there for connecting?

Sorry Parkit did not see your question till just now, I called heartland and was told if you have high profile AC (around 13" high) they would be 5" from rear of unit centered, low profile (around 9" high) 2"" plus I could push down in that area and it felt kind of softer than other areas, so I took the plunge and drilled the hole and they were there.

VMooreSR

Vince:
Try contacting Cary Katzenberg (Landmark and Bighorn product manager) at Heartland Service. He also can be contacted through this forum (Personal Messaging) with the username " Karykatz ". You might also try to talk to Eric McDaniel, Heartland Service department manager - he will help you if he possibly can.

Well I've left a voice mail with Eric Wednesday have not heard back, PM'd Mr Katzenberg nothing there also, so I'm just going to finish my install and not worry about the wire I found, since it seems everything is working as they should. I'll put everything in a weather proof box so it will be easy to get to if needed in the future.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Vince

pegmikef

Brian:
Frankly I am not intimately familiar with the rooftop satellite dishes, and only answered with a guess because nobody else seemed to be responding. That having being said, ALL of the motorized satellite antennas are going to need a fair amount of electrical power to run the aiming motors. I can't believe the limited 15 volts DC on the coax (nominally for the LMB amplifiers) from the satellite receiver is enough to do this. I DO know that the Carryout portable satellite antennas need a separate 12 volt power feed. So, my initial reply about the extra pair of wires was with this thought in mind.

Not all. The Tailgater carryout antenna just uses the single coax for power and doesn't require a separate cable.

jbeletti

Vince,

I think Brian hit the nail on the head. Kary is out of the office all week and is here at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa. Earlier today, he told me about running a 12 VDC line to the satellite pre-wire location for those that may need a DC power feed for a dish other than the Winegard Travel'r and others that don't get DC over the coax. My guess is this is what you have. Where it ties into the power system and where the fuse for it is, I do not know.

Perhaps when Kary gets back with you, you can clarify this.

VMooreSR

Vince,

I think Brian hit the nail on the head. Kary is out of the office all week and is here at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa. Earlier today, he told me about running a 12 VDC line to the satellite pre-wire location for those that may need a DC power feed for a dish other than the Winegard Travel'r and others that don't get DC over the coax. My guess is this is what you have. Where it ties into the power system and where the fuse for it is, I do not know.

Perhaps when Kary gets back with you, you can clarify this.

Thanks for the response Jim.
Vince

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Bill,
That was the first thing I did was call Heartland, person told me they had no schematics (weird) and that it is probably an extra wire for some option that was not installed Hmmm. Also it would be nice if Heartland and Winegard would put these coax's and power cables in
some sort of weather proof electrical box on the roof so a person wouldn't stress about drilling that hole in the roof, especially drilling and not finding those wires.
Vince

They do have wiring diagrams but they are not released outside the plant. What you have to do is ask the customer service rep to check with engineering and they can tell you about the wiring.

wdk450

Jim:
If those wires are there as standard build install (nice Heartland touch), Service department advisors need to be up to speed knowing about them, where they are connected, etc. Satellite dish install on the roof of the rigs isn't a rare thing, and I think this sort of call would come in often. Maybe there should be some sort of standard service note.