Winegard Trav'ler with a Hopper 3 and Joey

B

BouseBill

Anyone using a Trav'ler with a Hopper 3 and a Joey?
I understand you can use a Dish DPH 42 switch with the antenna?

Any advise and information greatly appreciated.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
If you have the DPP LNB on the Trav'ler you can use the DPH42 Switch, but you will also need a Hybrid Solo Node. Look at this web page for a diagram. You may need to run a third wire from the Trav'ler to the DPH42 Switch to be able to use all of the tuners on the Hopper 3.

If you are adventurous another way is to put a DPH LNB on the Trav'ler and use a Hybrid Solo Node. Here is an RV'er that posted it on the web.
I purchase most of my satellite equipment from Solid Signal. I also have attached a Pdf file with Diagrams for DPH LNB and Hopper wiring.

Attachments

• Hybrid LNBF Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    199.5 KB · Views: 49
B

BouseBill

Hi Terry, the link takes me to the page which talks about the DPH-42 switch which states:

"A Hopper 3 can now be used with a “stock” Winegard Travler.

That is, there is no longer any need to changeout a Travler’s stock Dish Pro Plus (DPP) LNBF with a Dish Pro Hybrid (DPH) LNBF.
While you can still swap Travler LNBFs, there are known issues in doing this.

Currently, the best way to use a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler is to use DISH’s new DPH42 switch:"

We are looking at having a Winegard installed, and want to educate ME on the best way to do it vs. how some installer wants to do it LOL.
Question? On the diagram it shows both the winegard travler and a portable dish wired to the AB switch running through the hybrid solo hub, during your travels how often when camped at a RV Park or other location do you NOT get a signal and have to more to a different spot or use the portable dish?

It looks like I have a lot to learn LOL

Terry H

Staff member
Bill,

Ok, thank you for informing me and the forum community on the direction you would like go for this installation. I did look at the link before I sent it to you, previously the last time I looked at it was in February. This technology is changing fast. The information I sent you is so you could make an informed decision.

We are looking at having a Winegard installed, and want to educate ME on the best way to do it vs. how some installer wants to do it LOL.
Question? On the diagram it shows both the winegard travler and a portable dish wired to the AB switch running through the hybrid solo hub, during your travels how often when camped at a RV Park or other location do you NOT get a signal and have to more to a different spot or use the portable dish?

Based on the equipment you plan on installing, this is how I would install it.
  • Install the Trav'ler. Install the DPH42 switch on the roof near to the Trav'ler.
  • Route the three cables from the Trav'ler Dish to Dish Inputs labeled "Dish IN" on the DPH42.
  • Connect the two coax cables that go to the UDC to the "Receiver Satellite In" ports.
  • In the storage bay remove the wall next to the UDC to access the cables and to install the power inserter and the Hybrid Solo Hub.
  • In the UDC remove the cable that is attached to the DPH 42 switch "Receiver Satellite In" Port 1 from the back of the coax wall plate (Roof Cable 1).
  • Connect that cable to the power inserter "Switch Input" port.
  • Make a short cable jumper and connect it from the DPH 42 switch "To Receiver Satellite In" port to the same coax wall plate port that Roof Cable 1 was attached originally. NOTE: The cable that is attached to DPH42 "Receiver Satellite In" Port 2 (Roof Cable 2) will be "spare" and should be terminated on the front of the Roof Cable 2 coax wall plate in the UDC.
  • From the back of the coax wall plates remove the cables one at a time to determine which cable is connected to the Hopper 3.
  • Connect the cable that is attached to the Hopper 3 to the "Host Port" of the Hybrid Solo Hub.
  • Make a short cable jumper and connect it to the port next to Roof Cable 1 on the back of same coax wall plate and connect to the "ODU Port" of the Hybrid Solo Hub.
  • From the back of the coax wall plates remove the cables one at a time to determine which cable is connected to the Joey.
  • Connect the cable that is attached to the Joey to the "Client Port" of the Hybrid Solo Hub.

If you use a portable Dish use a DPH LNB then you will only need to run one cable from Port 1 of the LNB to the Roof Cable 1 UDC coax wall plate. Remove the jumper from the cable connection that routed to the "ODU Port" of the Hybrid Solo Hub and attach the cable from the portable dish. This will bypass the Switch and the Power Inserter and it is a "manual AB switch".

For the portable dish I would recommend purchasing both a Eastern Arc (EA) and a Western Arc (WA) DPH LNB for flexibility. There are places that we stay that the HD local stations are only the EA. Most HD local stations are on the WA. When traveling I call Dish and Have them change the locals to the zip where I am staying. This is the Tripod I am using. If you would like to view and record Live Off The Air (OTA) Channels through the Hopper then get a Dish USB OTA Tuner.

I have installed a Trav'ler on the last two trailers I have owned. I currently am using a DFH LNB on the Trav'ler and use a DPH WA or EA LNB on a portable dish. I installed a Hopper with Sling and a Super Joey with a Hybrid Dual Hub. I can record up to 5 channels at a time with this equipment.

I suggest you use an installer that specializes in RV Satellite installs, not Camping World and not an RV dealer or RV mobile servicer.

I have been traveling since April and I used my portable dish 5 times of the 15 times I have stopped. This is higher than usual, normally I only use the portable dish once or twice out of 15 times.

Let us know about the install after it is competed and also how it works for you.

Attachments

• DSC01448.JPG
    DSC01448.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01447.JPG
    DSC01447.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01436.JPG
    DSC01436.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DPH42_Installation.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

esscobra

I can only remember 2 times where I had to move my portable dish off the ladder mount on back of RV and use on ground -I 7yas of use- and in the 6 months ive had my heartland 5ver no problems and ive been to many new places that I had not stayed before

B

BouseBill

Terry thank you for the fantastic information and pictures, it is most appreciated and educational:)

Bill

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Holy Crap, you can do this?? I've wanted to switch from DirectTV to Dish for some time now but didn't want to spend the money to buy a Dish antenna for my camper when I have the Traveler installed for my DirectTV. Now your telling me I CAN switch?? and not have to buy a whole new antenna system. I Love it. Thanks. Now I've just got to find some hot shot tech who understands at that stuff to get me set up.

danemayer

Holy Crap, you can do this?? I've wanted to switch from DirectTV to Dish for some time now but didn't want to spend the money to buy a Dish antenna for my camper when I have the Traveler installed for my DirectTV. Now your telling me I CAN switch??

Keith, I might be wrong, but I don't think it's saying that the Directv LNB on your dish can be used with DISH Network.

Terry H

Staff member
That is very good information with visuals. I located additional information on converting a Travler from Direct TV to Dish.

It appears the parts cost for the LNB and Reflector will be about $ 400.00.