Winterizing 2011 BH 3610RE

tempus

I have always winterized my own trailers (30 years) - this is my first 5th wheel. I have no manual on the proper winterizing of my 3610, although there is a short direction list on the inside of the door covering the inlets and storage area. Are there additional steps other than bypass/draining the hot water tank - such as drain covers to remove underneath? Is there any documentation available?

I never had a walk-through as I purchased from Michigan (Lakeshore RV) and had it delivered to Lewiston, Id. I was assured there would be a full walk-through but there was none - the gentleman who delivered it said he knew nothing about the 3610. I saved a lot of money but lost out in an important area.

Any information would be mighty kind. Thank You.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, I assume you ran some pink anti freeze through all the lines. Put both levers in the UDC on bypass, put the hose in the jug with the pink stuff and turn on the pump. Run some through all the lines at all the faucets, kitchen, bath, shower and outside shower. Both hot and cold. Run some pink stuff through the washer/dryer valves and pour some down all the drains to fill the P-traps.
Dont forget to do flush the toilet to get that full of pink stuff.
If you have an ice maker you have to winterize that as well. Instructions should be in the owners manual for the refer. That should be in the big blue vinyl bag the you should have gotten with your rig.
The only thing you need to do underneath is be certain that the freshwater tank is drained. That drain valve is located on the off door side behind the tires.
One last thing that I do is blow some compressed air in through the black tank flush.

Peace
Dave

tempus

Dave, thank you for taking the time to answer my question - much appreciated! Other than the purchase 4 gallons of pink antifreeze I haven't done anything yet. I'm camping on the Oregon coast and am going to store it over here for a month or two for the holidays - leaving in 4 days.

I'm am used to having to disconnect the line connected to the water pump, adding a short length of line to put in the antifreeze bottle, and pumping through the system that way. This sounds like a mighty big step forward in making the process easier. Also, in addition to draining the water storage, there has always been a couple drain plugs to remove - sounds like that is in the past now also. I will be able to do everything except blow air through the black water rinse line as I don't have an air pump over here (sounds like an excellent suggestion though!).

Thanks again. Folks like you are what makes this such a Great forum!

tempus

A hard freeze on the Oregon coast is very unlikely.

Gaffer, thanks for the advice.

I am only leaving for 6 weeks or so and vacillated about winterizing at all, but wasn't sure I wanted to take the chance, as the cost for antifreeze vs pipe repair is quite wide. I spoke with a women that has worked here for years (1000 trails, South Beach). Her husband owns a local RV repair and she told me that one year it got down to 17 degrees and many campers where effected.

I'm really not sure what to do. Are you suggesting that the black water flush out is probably safe because it is inside, or that the entire 5th wheel is probably OK?

Thanks...

caissiel

I am in Canada waiting to travel south.
We full time in the Big Country here and the cold nights have hit us here.
It was 22F the other night and the only ice I saw was a little moisture that froze at the sewer cap.
The tank valves are heated by the furnace inlet air.

Last year we were caught here in much colder weather and everything was fine except the fresh water tank drain valve the was exposed.

For this fall I hid the valve above the coroplast and insulation sheet and so far I am not afraid of any freeup for now.

Gaffer

I am not sayng it never happens only that it is really rare. If you are going to blow out your lines or run the pink stuff through do everything. I do both. Don't forget the laundry faucets, black tank rinse, outside shower, toilet, ice maker and get some to squirt out the city water connection. The repair guy might do it for you for $100 bucks or so. But for that same $100 you can get a Craftsman air compressor and blow the lines yourself. Good to have the compressor anyway so you can top off your tires if needed when you check them every morning before moving on down the road.

tempus

HI Branson - I store it at the 1000 Trails in South Beach. I winterized it yesterday and it was pretty easy - Thanks To Everyone for their! I didn't do the ice maker as the manual says it is not needed unless the temperature is going to be below 0 F.

When I was pulling it into storage I noticed the large piece of ?cardboard covering the bottom of the trailer was full of water, so I will have some work when I get back. The system is air/water tight as the water pump worked fine, so must be a drain somewhere - hope I can get to it!

Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't do the ice maker as the manual says it is not needed unless the temperature is going to be below 0 F.

If you are concerned about freezing your water lines, why did you not do the ice maker. It uses the same freezable water that the rest of the rig uses.
I think that the manual is saying that the ice maker line has a heater on it to prevent freezing, but that heater is only from the solenoid to the ice maker. The line going to the solenoid is not protected by that heater. And the heater will only work if you are plugged into shore power.
I would follow the winterizing procedure for the ice maker.
Just my thoughts.
Oh, and since your winterizing question has been answered and you have winterized I have moved this thread out of the ATF into the BH General Discussion area.

Peace
Dave

tempus

Thanks Dave - I read the manual and what you're speaking about - it reads that the heat on the water line kicks in at 32 degrees, but that you don't have to actually winterize the freezer until it will hit 0 - not sure why. Whatever, it too late now.... I 'm over in Lewiston for the holidays with family (we got 5 inches of snow since last night and still falling. Burr... Thanks!