Wireless Ground Control RV leveling system

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
While stopping in Elkhart, IN we are considering having the wireless rv leveling system manufactured by Rieco/Titan installed on our 3055rl. The system consists of 4 jacks to replace the forward landing gear and the rear stabilizing jacks on a 5th wheel, operate at a much faster speed, and each jack is capable of lifting 5,000 lbs, for a total capacity of 20,000 lbs. Has anyone out there had this system installed, or have any experience with this system? If not, and we are the "initial" customer, we will provide a review on the system after we operational check it out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never heard of this brand/manufacturer so I looked them up. HERE is a link to the system. The price on the website seems high compared to the hydraulic level up system. Which would be a better more reliable system? I don't know. Thanks for letting us know and please do a follow up report.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Ray that the price seems a bit high. Although I am sure you can level your coach with it, it is not auto-leveling, so I really don't see a big advantage to spending that kind of cash. Watching the video I see the speed may be a bit faster than the OEM electric landing gear but still way slower than a hydraulic system.
I am not trying to put down the Rieco/Titan system, just conveying my observations.
If you do get it let us know how it works out.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting, but at the $3000 price, it's still less than the MSRP for the Level-Up ($4295). Granted, some have paid a lot less for a "rally price," but what will they quote if you called right now? Since the Titan is actually four electric jacks, not hydraulic, that bolt onto the frame, why get rid of the rear stabilizers? Might be a better idea to mount the "rear" Titans just forward of the axles and keep the rear stabilizers intact. Give you six points of support, once you're level.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If you get Trailer Life magazine, the November issue has a nice write up on this product.
There are also a few owners that have this syetem. NABO ( Nathan and Byrd Mathis) have it installed on their Big Country.
It is true that it is not auto leveling. I wont argue the pros and cons of auto leveling... some people like it others may not. I do know that almost everyone I talk to about the Level Up system love it, but it seems these same people have had some quirk they have had to work out with the software. Doesnt mean its bad.. just has some quirks.
The speed and torque of an electric motor can be manipulated with gearing just like the speed and power of a hydraulic system can be manipulated by pump size, piston size etc.

I am actually in the process of purchasing this system. Trailer Life magazine reports that there is a $500.00 rebate on this product right now.
I called the manufacturer tonight and caught the owner just leaving. He said he hasnt even seen the article yet but the rebate is true.

Here are a few pictures of the system on NABO's trailer.
HPIM1942.jpgHPIM1941.jpgHPIM1943.jpgHPIM1939.jpg

BTW, Rieco has been around for a long time making jacks for pick up campers. I do not know how new or old this product is though.

JohnDar

Larry, I looked over the website and the installation instructions. It looks like it's a DIY job, rather than having to go to Elkhart to get it done. Correct? Being somewhat slow, I would prefer they had some photos or drawings in their instructions, though. From where they said to mount the rear jacks, it looks like you could keep the rear stabilizers on without a problem. But there's no indication of a remedy if the motor should fail that permits manual raising or lowering. I know with some electric trailer tongue jacks that you can remove the top of the housing and use a drill or crank to operate the jack (BTDT).

SouthernNights

John, the failing motor thing bothered me too until I found out you can switch the motors in a matter of seconds from one jack to another. That way you are arent stranded.

It does seem to be a very easy DIY after looking at NABO's. That is one thing I like about the system is the simplicity. True, you do not get auto leveling but that is actually a plus to me. I am not ready to give up that control yet. :D

Dave does bring up a good point about it's speed. It is not as fast as hydraulic but watching Nathans operate the dolly legs retracted in less than 10 or 15 seconds. I actually wanted to time them on Sunday when they packed up but he had hit the switch and I got so amazed at how fast they retracted compared to my dolly legs I forgot to look at my watch.
I will do better next time. :)

Hiopefully nathan or Byrd will see this thread and chime in. They can tell you first hand what they think. I can only tell what I have heard or read...for now.

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Thanks to everyone for your inputs!!! We are going to have the jacks installed today, and after using them for the rest of our trip we will post a review with all the pros and cons of the system.

JohnDar

Thanks, Larry. That's good to know about switching motors in a pinch. I'll be watching for some reports on the guys that have them.

RoadJunkie

If you watch the Ground Control RV leveling system marketing video, the background music, in and of itself, is enough to entice one to buy their product. But seriously, this looks like a reasonable product that allows end user installation and the product could be removed and reinstalled on a future rig. It is likely to be a little slower, but I have never found setting up to be a race and waiting for my jacks to be lowered electrically has never been an issue. If one of the motors fails, I'm no worse off then I am with my present system. I expect motors could be swapped to get you--at minimum-- functional again. I'm thinking seriously into this system. Thanks for the thread.

SouthernNights

Thanks for posting that link roadjunkie. Of course 5 of the 6 pages were your typical RV.net stuff.

I just ordered the system with the 500 dollar coupon. Hopefully have it by the end of next week.

RoadJunkie

I'm real interested in some practical feedback regarding the stability of the jacks, particularly related to the rigidity of the telescoping legs when someone is moving throughout the cabin or while the wind is blowing. It would be a step backwards if one needed to provide cross-bracing to the leg supports, of special concern is stability on the longer rigs >36 feet.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hello
I had the system installed on our 3250 by RVS for Less here in Knoxville in April and it has worked flawlessly. I can jack the wheels off the ground with no problem. The remote is easy to use and the system moves a lot faster than the factory setup. I also added the JT braces on the front jacks.
Would I install another one. Yes
The one thing that Nathan didn't say was how cool it is, especially on rainy days, to just stand inside the coach and level it up without getting wet. The remote works anywhere - inside the truck, inside the coach or out in the street. B--

Last edited:

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Follow-up report on the Rieco-Titan Ground Control Wireless Leveling System. We had the system installed at RV Capital Services in Elkhart, IN and so far are very satisfied with the system. The installation required the assistance of the Rieco-Titan tech rep, as the frame on our 2008 Bighorn 3055rl woulodn't allow the rear jack to be installed just aft of the rear axel on the door side.. The 3055RL has a spare tire carrier and 220v junction box under the entertainment slide on the door side, right where the aft jack would normaly be placed, so the jack on the right side is mounted further back than the one on the left, off door slide. The tech rep assured me there would be no problem, and so far he was right. The system works as advertised - the remote works from inside the truck, or inside the rv. Operation is very smooth, and the system is very easy to operate. The only concern is that the aft jacks have only about 6 inches of clearance from the ground to the bottom of the jack when fully retracted. The jack on the left side is closer to the rear axel, but the right side is further back and i'm not sure if big dips or driveways might cause it to contact the ground. So far it is a great system, and we will follow up after more use.

SouthernNights

Well, got the system on Tuesday and it is now installed.

Installation was very easy. The only thing I did not like about the installation parts were the self tapping bolts they sent to hold the rear jack brackets on. No lockwashers and the bolt heads were not surrated on the bottom. So I replaced them and through bolted the brackets.
Other than that, simple system. And it does work great. Lifted my entire trailer off the ground, 13000 lbs, and the motors never slowed down when the tires left the ground.

It is , however NOT automatic as has been pointed out earlier in this thread. It is faster than the stock electric dollies but not as fast the hydraulic legs on the Level Up I have seen operate.

There is very little movement in the coach with the legs down. I am hoping I do not have to install my front stabilizers. One less thing to mess with setting up and breaking camp. Right now, sitting on a concrete pad there seems to be less movement now than with the original front legs and stabilzers. The true test will come next week when we head out again.

A few pictures I took of the system. while putting it together.
Rear legs and brackets:
HPIM1957.jpgHPIM1959.jpg

Controller and harness
HPIM1960.jpg

front jacks

HPIM1961.jpg

I do like the large pads. No more 2 X 10s to keep from sinking in the ground.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on a job well done. Let us know how it works out next camping trip.
B--