Worn Out Hose/tube in Back of my Dometic Refridge??

Dutchboy

Hi there, Purchased a used NorthTrail 2009 28BH TT and loving it! First off the Fridge is working great, but see something on the backside of the unit that has me scratcIhing my head. I opened the access panel on the outside of the unit and noticed some broken tube pieces....I then inspected closer and looked UP inside the access opening and saw where the tube is coming out of the backside of the unit. I am attaching a picture to show the access entry with the broken tubes, and then the view looking UP into the backside of the unit.

Obviously the tube must have a purpose and go somewhere, my question is what is it for?, and where should the tube go? I will need to replace, but need to make sure that I do it properly to avoid any water damage (if it is a drain of sorts). I will say this, the tube is so dry that whenever I touch it, it cracks into pieces.

Thanks for the forum's help! I'm batting 1000 so far with successful answers here!

Dutchboy

rick_debbie_gallant

Sounds like the condensation drain for the fins in the refer. They tend to get brittle and crumble in a few years. U will need to empty the refer, take out the top 2 shelves, remove the clear plastic drain tray carefully.

Then with a pair of needle nose pliers remove the plastic white piece the tray dumps water into and passes to the outside.

Now for the tricky part, you will meet to fish the new tube from the hole to the outside down through the inside of the refer. I used a clothes hanger for this part of the job. The clothes hanger will work as a guide for the tubing. Good luck. I completed the task in about 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rick_debbie_gallant

It appears u will have a much easier job of the replacement. I had to run down the tubes in the back of the compartment. That was the tough part. Don't forget the little plug with holes in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

aatauses

This looks like your drain tube for the refer. Yes, they will deteriorate over time. They go from the refer drain in the refer to the outside of your coach, usually run through your access panel. You can purchase new "tubing" at any Rv supply store. Now, putting it back in may be a challenge. Not familiar with your model, but sometimes you can go inside the refer and see where the tube connects, usually onto your tray under the fins. If this does not work, see if you can reach up from your access panel area and attach the tube, run it out through and you will be all set. As a safety issue, make sure the tubing does not touch any of the "heat tubes" on the back of the refer.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

mobilcastle

I did mine with clear tubing from lowes. I think it will last a little longer. I also put a little silicone around the plug at the end of the hose to keep it from falling out.