X-Boarder sat tv service

Majestic

We are in the confusing market for a roof mounted sat dish. The issue is x-boarder use. In Canada, Bell says the GPS will not allow use across the boarder, Shaw has two new satellites also not usable across the boarder, same issue with Dish and Directv i am told.

Has anyone purchased a new system since Jan 2014 that works throughout N. America, got to love governments!

Tombstonejim

I assume that you are saying that the on board GPS system will not auto aim the antenna if it detects that you are across the border. It will still work if there is someway to manually aim the dish and you can get it aimed at the satellite.

brianharrison

It has to do with the new satellites that Bell and Shaw are leasing to transmit their channels. These new satellites "aim" at Canada - ie provide signal to Canada and just under the 49th parallel.

Coverage map here for Shaw

Coverage map here for Bell

Shaw's new Anik G1 hosts the high def channels (double digit channels on Shaw Direct) but all of these channels are also on their older F1 and F2 satellites (three digit channels). I still use my shaw direct in the lower 49 all the way to Mexico.

There is no plan to retire the F1 or F2 to my knowledge, however if that happens, I suspect the only option is to look at a US provider that allows a Canadian billing address and works in all of North America. I have not done that research yet.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Majestic

Thanks Brian

i have had discussions with all 4 major providers and nobody will permit the service across the boarder. Shaw admits that the old system still works but will not connect new customers to use those sats as of Jan 2014 (that is their official stand anyways), still working on it unofficially with them.

brianharrison

I don't see how they could prevent you from accessing the older satellites, as the new Anik G1 does not host all of their channels. All of their dishes are 3 way heads now (LNB) which accept signal from all 3 satellites.

I just purchased a new receiver, and had it set up here in Canada last summer - I got all channels (0-99 from Anik G1; and 100 and above from Anik F1/F2) and when I went to southern California last winter I lost the 0-99.

I know they do not "acknowledge" that the satellites are fully accessible in the lower 49 - I think it may be a regulatory issue they are skirting. I do know they will not sign up a non Canadian billing address, but that's a different scenario.

Brian

EDIT: Found a newer thread (early 2014) on Shaw Direct tech forums that talks to this issue - Clicky here.

Majestic

I never thought of Shaw Support group i was just dealing with their CSR and getting canned answers. We are proceeding with Shaw as we want it for the home anyways, tired of Telus/Bell.