Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2011 BH Axle Disaster

1. Print this Post   #31

Re: 2011 BH Axle Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by ihsolutions View Post
    UPDATE: Jerry from Lippert is better than advertised! He had me done, start to finish, in 1 hour, 16 minutes (less than his original 90 minute estimate). That included inspecting the other axle to make sure there were no signs of imminent failure. While I haven't towed it anywhere yet, it sure looks better, and Jerry's statement "I wouldn't hesitate to drive this to california tomorrow" made me feel much better.

Thanks to Lippert for quick service. Now I won't say it didn't take a LOT of follow-up on my part, but if you stay on top of a situation like this, I believe they will go the extra mile to make things right for you.
    I would add the CP system. Great insurance and the ride and stability are worth it. Not to mention strengthening up the center hangers.

2. Print this Post   #32
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
    Same thought here. They dont look like my 8K springs.
    I thought the same thing...they appear to only have six leafs instead of seven, like my 8K springs....
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '17 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

3. Print this Post   #33

I was at the HL factory last week, and looked at a couple of piles of axle assembly's. The 7k axles and the 8k axles had the same springs. Only difference I could sees is the 8k had larger brakes. What I couldn't see is maybe the 8k had larger spindles.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

4. Print this Post   #34
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    I was at the HL factory last week, and looked at a couple of piles of axle assembly's. The 7k axles and the 8k axles had the same springs. Only difference I could sees is the 8k had larger brakes. What I couldn't see is maybe the 8k had larger spindles.

Peace
    Dave
    That's odd...when my 7K springs were replaced with 8K, I went from 6 leafs to 7 leafs....that was done last June right before the Goshen rally.
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '17 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

5. Print this Post   #35

Here is a photo of what and 8K should like, The drums are nearly 4 inches as you noted and you can count the spring leafs. The spring plate is heavier and the bolts are 9/16 compared to 1/2 inch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Print this Post   #36

Peace
    Dave
    Dave; The 6K,7K,8K axels all use a #42 spindle, The difference is the bearings they use on the spindle. At least thats what Kodiac told me when I put on the disc brakes. Jon
    Patti & Jon Holbert
    PJ (Welsh Springer Spaniel rescue)
    Freckles (Welsh Springer Spaniel)RIP
    Erie,Pa.
    Heartland Owners Club #1025
    2009 BH 3370 #9E012371 Sailun S637's on 17.5 in Mod Wheels,8K Hubs, Mor-Ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, Reese Fifth Airborne, Level-up,LED Lights,awning on slideout and BU lights
    2019 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Limited, DRW, 4X4,4.10 LS Gears,40K GCWR, CC, LB,Dual Moon Roofs, Cameras, Adaptive Cruise
    2015 Explorer XLT Sport, 4X4, Dual Moon Roofs, 20" Wheels.
    08 Branson,MI,
    09 Goshen,PA,MO
    10 East Coast,PA,OH,Nashville,NY,ON,Illinois
    11 Cherokee,NJ,PA,Goshen,Delaware,Illinois,NY,
    12 Virginia Beach,PA,NY,WI,MI, Illinois,Minnesota
    13 Gettysburg, Goshen, NY, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa
    14 Urbanna, Va.,ON,PA.,Illinois, NY.
    15 Goshen,NE Regional,NY, PA, Illinois,
    16 Lancaster, SE, SC,NC,NE Regionals, ON, VA, PA, NY
    17 VA,Goshen,IL,WI,OH,MD,NJ,NY
    18 NE Regional, NY
    19 PA,NY,Goshen,Rally,Pre,Pre-Pre-Rally

7. Print this Post   #37

Hmm, when I looked at the axles I specifically asked about the six leaf springs seen on both the 7k and 8k axles. I was told they were the same for both. 3.5 in brakes were on the 8k axles.
    I agree the the 7 leaf would be prefered.
    Maybe getting them changed out after the fact would yield the 7 leafs.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

8. Print this Post   #38

Update on the 7k vs 8k springs. I talked to a Lippert guy today and asked about what I saw at the factory.....six leafs on both axles.
    He told me that their 8k spring packs have 7 leafs. Hmm, I told him what I saw and was surprised at his answer.
    Now, I don't know if this is fact, but he told me that HL is using a competitors axles on some models.
    That may explain why the two axles spring packs looked the same. Two different manufacturers.

Peace
    Dave

9. Print this Post   #39

My 6k axles have 4 leafs, but they have almost no arch left. Anyone have a image of correctly arched 6k springs? I have a feeling my axles, which are upgraded are held by 5200 running gear.

The leaf spring perches should should have coped vertical plates that sit atop the axle like a saddle, these should be fully welded to the axle, however like in the auto industry many axles simple have end welds.

10. Print this Post   #40

Update on the 7k vs 8k springs. I talked to a Lippert guy today and asked about what I saw at the factory.....six leafs on both axles.
    He told me that their 8k spring packs have 7 leafs. Hmm, I told him what I saw and was surprised at his answer.
    Now, I don't know if this is fact, but he told me that HL is using a competitors axles on some models.
    That may explain why the two axles spring packs looked the same. Two different manufacturers.

Peace
    Dave
    That is interesting. When in the past I have tried to find 4K springs, they were not available except through Lippert. Most of the manufactures go to slipper springs when the go over 3.5K due to the light construction of the hangers.

We do have the Lippert 4K and they seem to be very good springs.

Thanks for the update.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast