Why the concern for 3rd A/C?

Divotf15

So, I am going to add a 3rd 15K BTU A/C to my Big Country to handle the 105-115 heat we see during the summer. I am actually quite knowledgeable with respect to electricity. Why do so many people and rv shops say you can’t run all 3 at once? Maybe I M missing something? 50 amp service is two 50 amp 120v circuits. Even if you take it down to 110v that is two circuits with 5500 watts on each circuit continuous. My Blizzards pull about 15 amps continuous for about 1800 watts (1760 watts to be exact). On startup, they read about 24 amps at compressor start, then back to 15 amps. This easily is handled by 50 amp circuit. I have even tried to make sure the circuitry would work by putting 25 amps worth of hair dryers etc… on one of the A/C circuits and started the A/C on that circuit. No problems. So….why are they all so adamant that you can’t run 3A/Cs at once. I get that you need to make sure other high draw items like water heater and microwave are on the single A/C circuit or just mentally manage that. What am I missing, or are they just super conservative. I have also had no problem starting and running both current A/Cs with a 4500/3750 generator, which is well below 50 amp single leg power.

Looking forward to the responses.

Bob.jr

I have a Landmark Charleston 365 with 3 15k ac units. No problem running all three at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

SLO

You are absolutely right on. No reason you can’t run three on 50 amp service. It would be possible to overload one 50 amp leg if both A/Cs we’re on and one or more other high amp draw appliance we’re on at the same time. My guess, RV service business or manufacturer don’t want you coming back on them because it doesn’t work when you want to run all those high amp appliances. When I was working in construction I was careful, from experience, in what I promised. They’re just covering their butts. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrailCreek

Our Newport has two heat pumps and one AC. We put soft start kits on each one and never have an issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Divotf15

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something within the rv electrical system that I was contrary to standard electrical systems.

Rip

15+15+15=45 add in the refrigerator and the converter and it’s probably over 50 a which is why some say you shouldn’t. You know how to babysit your electric draw. I have 3 -15k btu a/c units without soft starts, and I run them at the same time. I don’t know if the EMS is only allowing 2 compressors to run at the same time though.

hoefler

I am in the process of replacing my original 15K and adding a second 15K, 3rd A/C. I am wiring a 30 amp service to supply it and to add a couple more dedicated outlets.