Fuel - It's Happening Again

olcoon

I think I've come up with a solution for all this mess. I'm going to dump the truck & car, buy a couple of horses, team of mules, & a covered wagon to replace the 5er. Now all I've got to do is convince the DW!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think I've come up with a solution for all this mess. I'm going to dump the truck & car, buy a couple of horses, team of mules, & a covered wagon to replace the 5er. Now all I've got to do is convince the DW!!!
Great idea! How many horses would it take to pull a 15000# Bighorn:confused: :D

olcoon

Haven't quite got all the details worked out yet. Right now I'm still trying to finance the big change, as the way the economy is right now, I don't want to borrow the money to buy the critters. I've been doing an inventory of liquid assets, and I've got at least 100 cords of post holes out back. I'm trying to work out a deal with Home Deopt and Lowes to sell them. I've got basically unlimited resources to get more post holes in my inventory, just need the time to do it. Right now I'm also talking with a major RV supply company to supply dehydrated water. Thing about this product is that you don't have to worry about the extra weight, bulging water tanks, and you can carry 10 times the water with little weight increase, and you don't have to worry about the creepy critters in your fresh water!

If anyone is interested in either of the products, you can call me at BR549 and we'll get it on the next Pony Express to you anywhere in the lower 48...next month delivery at no charge.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

And then the only "road hazards" you'll have to worry about will come swooping down on their ponies, whooping and a hollering, shooting their firesticks at you. Better shave your head before they do. Might be handy to have a bugler's charge on tape, just in case.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I saw it at $4.01 a gallon for unleaded today on my way home , here in upstate NY!!! ouch!!:mad:

How high will it go ?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Diesel is between $4.19 - $4.25 in Somerset Pa. Have been throwing a few extra $20s in the fuel fund for the camping trips this year.

Dave49

Ok diesel is now $4.25 per gal. here in MI. just about everywhere. I live fulltime in my Bighorn and travel some. I just got back from Gulf Shores AL. and arrived here in MI. Does the fuel cost bother me? Yes!! Is it going to stop me? No!!! And heres our theory on the fuel prices that threaten our lifestyle.

The cost of from Gulf Shores to MI.

$4.25 per Gal = $595
$4.00 per Gal = $560
$3.00 per Gal = $420

So it seems that the difference between $4.25 and $4.00 is one less time to eat out for dinner. The difference between $4.00 and $3.00 is about once a week less out to dinner. Also we now elect to stay at CG's for a month at a time, that usually saves you at least a $100.00 per mo. or more, and gives you time to look at the area around you. To me the fuel is giving us a change in the way we do things, but as long as it don't go much higher we will be fine.

Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ok diesel is now $4.25 per gal. here in MI.
The cost of from Gulf Shores to MI.

$4.25 per Gal = $595
$4.00 per Gal = $560
$3.00 per Gal = $420

So it seems that the difference between $4.25 and $4.00 is one less time to eat out for dinner. The difference between $4.00 and $3.00 is about once a week less out to dinner. Also we now elect to stay at CG's for a month at a time, that usually saves you at least a $100.00 per mo. or more, and gives you time to look at the area around you. To me the fuel is giving us a change in the way we do things, but as long as it don't go much higher we will be fine.

Dave
That's a pretty good perspective. Similar to traveling all over town for the sales on groceries and other things. Unless a particular store has a specific item we do all of our grocery shopping in 2 places. The cost of gas to drive to several places isn't worth the savings.
Will it get better, I hope so but I'm not counting on it happening soon. Maybe like a few years ago it will start to come down in late summer or fall.

sgtbigb

Who pee, Diesel drop from $3.95.9 a gallon to $3.89.9 a gallon here in San Antonio today :=)

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Who pee, Diesel drop from $3.95.9 a gallon to $3.89.9 a gallon here in San Antonio today :=)

At least that's the right direction. Still $4.40 here. Funny, Seattle news (we are 100+ miles north) always lists our fuel prices as the highest in the state. I live 5 miles from the Tesoro and BP refineries!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
SC-dropped 8 cents today down to 3.81.

Oil at $97.91 right now http://www.oil-price.net/ , the lowest it has been in a few months, of course it changes by the minute. Hopefully we will see 3.30 or lower by mid summer if the trend continues.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just the other day while in Kerrville, TX I went to Walmart and at the Murphy fuel station the price of diesel was $3.78 and with a Walmart Shopping card I got 3¢ off for $3.75. Just down the road a major brand station was selling diesel for $4.03. I am now at Amarillio and Diesel at the Loves truck stop is $3.99. We are really getting ripped off.

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have found that the truck stops are typically 10-15 cents higher than other local stations. I guess they charge for the convenience of big rigs being able to enter and exit, large parking lots and greasy food.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Bob,

Where are you staying in Amarillo, the east side or the West side. We usually stay at Oasis RV Park. If you are on the west side go to Walmart on So. Coulter about 3 miles south of I-40 just south of 45th Street. Here is link to Gas Buddy.