2010 International Heartland Owners Rally Discussion

jbeletti

RALLY UPDATE for 11-June: See the most recent updates in red font below

Hey all,

I want everyone to know that I have canceled my contingency plan for this event, as it's no longer needed. I do have some updates (red font below). I also sent an email update out to all registered attendees.

VENUE:

5-5: This is the largest obstacle. The KOA was hit very hard. I am waiting for an update from the owners. When I spoke to them last, it was grim as they were completely flooded out. It is my goal to stick with the KOA if at all possible. They will need us and we selected them because they had the only workable rally hall - so we need them too. I do have a contract on my desk for another area campground and will pull the trigger on that if need be. Trouble is - no rally hall. So still working through other options for halls.

5-8: Today I learned the following:

• All calls to the toll-free number for the Nashville KOA are now routed to the Okeechobee, FL KOA. That KOA is handling reservations for them. So be aware in the event you are calling to check on anything or change anything
  • KOA corporate is on-site at the Nashville KOA and is coordinating the clean-up effort
  • The local power utility has been on-property and has replaced several transformers in their effort to restore power to the CG very soon
  • The current plan is to have some number of sites ready for use the first week of June as they continue to work on the remainder of the sites, the music barn, the office, the Kabins etc.
5-10: Today I learned the following:

• Spoke directly with the KOA Regional VP who is on-site at the Nashville KOA as part of the restoration assessment team
  • The water is now gone
  • Power is restored to portions of the KOA
  • 100 30-amp, full-hookup, back-in sites are currently available for general use
  • The office (A-frame) and Music Barn are damaged and are being evaluated now. In the next few days, I expect to receive an estimated time-frame on reopening the Music Barn
5-25: I learned the following today
  • Spoke directly with the KOA Regional VP who is on-site at the Nashville KOA as part of the restoration assessment team
  • Power is restored to even more of the KOA
  • The temporary office is in place and is operational
  • The KOA is now taking their own calls
  • The office (A-frame) and Music Barn interiors have been gutted and await environmental testing
  • The KOA is very hopeful the Music Barn will be open around July 1

GRAND OLE OPRY:

5-5: While the Opry is currently not usable, the show goes on! I spoke to the Opry today and they confirmed that the Opry will be held for us and the location is TBD. Many of us have already read online and heard on the news that the various programs that go on at the Opry complex, continue to go on, around town at less or unaffected facilities, including the original Grand Ole Opry building, the Ryman Auditorium. Personally, I think it would be quite nostalgic if we end up at the Ryman.

6-10: Spoke to the Group Sales Team today and they confirmed that we will see the Grand Ole Opry at the original Grand Ole Opry building, the Ryman Auditorium. I am working on plans for transportation (buses) to/from the Ryman, in that we are not close to it like we were Opryland and in that there is little parking downtown, especially for 80 trucks :)
6-11: Bus transportation is a GO! Made all the arrangements with Gaylord Entertainment today. Whew - another item complete. Details will be in your rally packets.

CANEY FORK FISH CAMP RESTAURANT:
5-5: This is the location of the early arrivals dinner on Tuesday. They were unaffected. Guess they were "just" out of harms way. I spoke to the manager there at length today and the economy there is just devastated as it relies nearly solely on tourism.

COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME:
5-8: The Country Music Hall of Fame has re-opened from the flooding.

OPRY MILLS SHOPPING CENTER:
5-8: Opry Mills remains closed. It's doubtful it will be open by rally time. Though some of the stores on the edges may be.

Jim

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks for the update Jim. I agree that staying in Nashville will help the economy. My only concern is - is it enough time for KOA to get things up and running. There is alot of damage all thru the middle part of the state so repairman will be stretched thin. I have a friend who runs a resturant repair/supply company in Nashville (which wasn't damaged by the floods) and they already are feeling extreme pressure to get equipment up and running for business that were flooded. Got my fingers crossed. Oh by the way - the house we used to live in Brentwood was totally destroyed.

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks for your efforts to keep us up to date, Jim.

On a personal note; Nona arrived in Nashville on Sunday for a week long conference at the Opryland Hotel & Convention Center. Needless to say she and her sidekick never made it as the Hotel's evacuation was in high gear as they touched down at the airport. She was able to book the last room at the Airport Marriott until they left on Tuesday.

Phonecalls were made from Dulles Int'l on Sunday to confirm that the conference was still a go before she boarded. "It is still on", said the Convention Center. Upon landing in Nashville another call was made to the Center after Nona's rental car was denied due to the road conditions. "Still on" says the Center while another representative is on the phone with the Convention Center at the same time learning that school buses are being loaded with Hotel guests to be shipped off to a high school gym for temporary shelter. Nona feels she dodged a bullet on that one 'cause "Momma don't do Army cots, anymore!"

We hope we can still have the Rally in Nashville even though the venues may not all be up and running. It's our comaraderie and of course, food that these rallies are all about, isn't it? Some of you out there are all the entertainment I need...I was at last year's event as proof!!

jimtoo

Yeah,,, and I think I remember someone in a skirt......and it was not a female with nice legs....:D

HeartlandRally09072.jpg

At least not in my opinion.:D..but at least it was some entertainment.... I guess...:D

Jim M

jimtoo

THAT PIC IS WITH THE SKIRT ON THE WAY DOWN.... You should see the one with it UP>>>>> I will not post it here....:D

jimtoo

WHAT???? "and it was not a female with nice legs (or anything else)...." Dave,,, That does not say "HE" or "HIM" anyplace..... REREAD,,,,, ...and IT was not a female with nice legs....:D :D

Geezzz,,, You gotta spell out everything for some people??? :confused:

But we had fun last year and will again this year!! Good Friends and Good Food, Good Fellowship...

Jim M

jbeletti

Yeah,,, and I think I remember someone in a skirt......and it was not a female with nice legs....:D

HeartlandRally09072.jpg

At least not in my opinion.:D..but at least it was some entertainment.... I guess...:D

Jim M

K2 is not registered for Nashville :( Gonna miss that crazy Scottsman! And Elaine too. And the Yorkies. Dang it - someone go to Branson to twist his arm about going! We are full today. Had 2 openings last week. The registration site has a great waitlist feature. Sign up and get immediately notified of an opening. And there will be more openings. I have had maybe 5 cancels so far. I expect up to 7 more before rally time.

Jim

jbeletti

Re: Saturday Night Rally plans are complete - Steve Hall with the Shotgun Red Trio

Nashville rally updates for May 8 have been made in red font in post 141 in this thread.

Jim

jbeletti

Re: Saturday Night Rally plans are complete - Steve Hall with the Shotgun Red Trio

Nashville rally updates for May 10 have been made in red font in post 141 in this thread.

Jim

jbeletti

An email update was just sent out by me to all 126 registered rally rigs. Here's a link to it for those who are interested or have not yet seen the email.

Jim

kkamshop

Jim, you're doing a great job of keeping everyone informed of the campground situation - this has to be causing a few gray hairs!!! Anyway, the updates are much appreciated.

jbeletti

Thanks K&K. Spending a lot if time ascertaining statuses and making contingency plans. If needed, I will fly to Nashville in the next couple weeks to ensure a successful rally.

jbeletti

To anyone who is tracking this rally but is not yet registered, good news for you!

We had a cancellation this week and that has opened up 1 rally spot for you! Click here to register.

And later, for anyone who's plans change such that they are now able to attend this rally, if you go to the site to register and it's sold out, please sign up on that page for the Wait List. It works well and it will email you when a spot becomes available. You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to register, otherwise the wait list moves on to the next name on the list.

Jim

wdk450

This paragraph from another RV website, on another topic:
"Since our dealer is only about a mile from the Opry House which suffered so much damage in the floods last week, I was glad that the only damage I suffered was to my hip pocket for replacing the skylight. The KOA just down the road from them still had a number of RV's sitting around that obviously had water almost to the roof."

osims

bsims
Not much talk about the rally in the last week are so. Hopefully another KOA update will be coming soon. We are starting to get excited about heading to Nashville.
Bill