2018 mid & mid year Landmark Newport changes

porthole

Retired
At Goshen the Landmark Newport that was on display was (according to Andy) a prototype.

There are several differences from model year 2017 to 2018 as seen in JB's Newport. And there are changes again in the Goshen Rally show coach.

Some of these changes are what prompted us to leave a deposit on a order.

We really like the changes in the front bath. That and other changes and improvements pushed us over.
  • Single basin sink
  • one large window opposed to two small windows
  • walk in closet (for a 5th wheel it is huge)
  • relocation of the washer and dryer closet
  • Fisher Paykel brand dishwasher
  • New 3 burner stove and electronic pilot oven
  • The return to the slide mounted TV (opposed to the basement mounted) and the resulting mini buffet
  • The return to a french door refrigerator in place of the side by side
  • The increased cargo capacity. The original prototype had a "never exceed" rating of 1,766 pounds. The latest version is rated at 4,549 pounds! Same water load for both. With water it is 919 versus 3,702 pounds.
  • The ability to order a trailer from the factory with MOR/ryde IS and disc brakes installed !!!!! Yeah !

The new shower was an issue, it seems that although a longer shower was installed it was missed that the enclosure is much narrower (as in way to narrow) Andy promises this will be corrected right away.

There was some concern with ventilation in the now much larger walk in closet. That should be able to be easily addressed. Cut in vents form the AC ductwork if it is long enough, or if not, extend the duct during the roof build.

The 2018 changes with the overhead lighting is a welcome change as are the changes to the bedroom decor. Never cared for the previous ceiling and trim treatments along with the mirrored gold framed TV.

Don't care for the new fireplace at all, along with the hearth and cabinet changes.

The convex fireplace just looks silly and out of place, and that was the general consensus of many of the folks walking in and out (I/we spent a lot of time in that rig)

Not crazy that the Landmark name has gone from paint to raised decals to plain flat decals

Would be nice to see both toilets be the Dometic 320 instead of two different brands - models

We still don't like the bedroom barn doors, but they look a little better then early models

Andy - real POCKET doors

My 8 year old Cyclone has true pocket doors, 6 panel with latches and locks and look great.

Old versus new fireplaces and surrounds

Attachments

• 2018_Newport_fireplace 1.jpg
    2018_Newport_fireplace 1.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 2018_Newport_fireplace 2.jpg
    2018_Newport_fireplace 2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 200

porthole

Retired
I think I like the new friction hinge doors, time will tell.

The Heartland & Tiara package was a nice put together. It was an included with the show only package (with a resulting increase in price).

If you didn't see it:
  • MOR/ryde IS
  • MOR/ryde disc brakes
  • MOR/ryde zero entry steps
  • MOR/ryde 36" sliding tray in basement
  • Third AC unit
  • Slide out toppers
  • Goodyear G-114's

We opted out with the MOR/ryde steps.

Although they may work for many I see three concerns with them
  • stowing wet or dirty steps inside the trailer
  • not able to deploy when side clearance is minimal, such as at a rest stop or near guardrails.
  • height challenged folks might have some difficulty opening the door.

The steps when stowed have an 'L' shaped bracket that secures the inward and outward motion. The bracket sits between the main and screen doors.
This added increased effort to pull the door latch open.

Between barely being able to reach the handle, the difficulty pulling the latch and then the friction from the new door hinges, Deb could was not able to open the door. And if it were locked she would not be able to use the key.

A RV lock as standard equipment would be nice.

Seeing the installation instructions briefly I think the stairs may have had the stops installed incorrectly.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 6.jpg
    FullSizeRender 6.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 134

Wanderlust

At Goshen the Landmark Newport that was on display was (according to Andy) a prototype.

There are several differences from model year 2017 to 2018 as seen in JB's Newport. And there are changes again in the Goshen Rally show coach.

Some of these changes are what prompted us to leave a deposit on a order.

We really like the changes in the front bath. That and other changes and improvements pushed us over.
  • Single basin sink
  • one large window opposed to two small windows
  • walk in closet (for a 5th wheel it is huge)
  • relocation of the washer and dryer closet
  • Fisher Paykel brand dishwasher
  • New 3 burner stove and electronic pilot oven
  • The return to the slide mounted TV (opposed to the basement mounted) and the resulting mini buffet
  • The return to a french door refrigerator in place of the side by side
  • The increased cargo capacity. The original prototype had a "never exceed" rating of 1,766 pounds. The latest version is rated at 4,549 pounds! Same water load for both. With water it is 919 versus 3,702 pounds.
  • The ability to order a trailer from the factory with MOR/ryde IS and disc brakes installed !!!!! Yeah !

The new shower was an issue, it seems that although a longer shower was installed it was missed that the enclosure is much narrower (as in way to narrow) Andy promises this will be corrected right away.

There was some concern with ventilation in the now much larger walk in closet. That should be able to be easily addressed. Cut in vents form the AC ductwork if it is long enough, or if not, extend the duct during the roof build.

The 2018 changes with the overhead lighting is a welcome change as are the changes to the bedroom decor. Never cared for the previous ceiling and trim treatments along with the mirrored gold framed TV.

Don't care for the new fireplace at all, along with the hearth and cabinet changes.

The convex fireplace just looks silly and out of place, and that was the general consensus of many of the folks walking in and out (I/we spent a lot of time in that rig)

Not crazy that the Landmark name has gone from paint to raised decals to plain flat decals

Would be nice to see both toilets be the Dometic 320 instead of two different brands - models

We still don't like the bedroom barn doors, but they look a little better then early models

Andy - real POCKET doors

My 8 year old Cyclone has true pocket doors, 6 panel with latches and locks and look great.

Old versus new fireplaces and surrounds

Would like to see pics of the new front bath. Sounds interesting but I couldn't imagine needing more space. Our bathroom is huge as it is! Lol.

We have a 2017 model and we have the new style fireplace. To be honest I love it. It had to grow on me a minute but I love it.

I walked into a 2016 model a friend of mine owns the other day. They have the dining buffet and now that we have been living in ours for four months I couldn't imagine losing the openness having no buffet gives us. Not sure I would like bringing it back. There is so much more walk space between the table and island without it and it looks less crowded. We also live in Arizona so sitting outside to watch tv in 110 deg weather is not a big deal for us right now haha.

Our bath and bedroom already has trouble cooling down so more ducts in the bathroom closet would be essential. And I really wish we had the same style toilets in both. Seems silly to have two different kinds. Not sure what the purpose of this is.

Looking forward to more pics of you got them! If we ever purchase again it will most likely be another Newport. We absolutely love ours! It is perfect for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Re: 2018 mid & mid year Landmark Newport changes

Stove and fridge

- - - Updated - - -

Front bath

- - - Updated - - -

Buffet and Bedroom TV

Attachments

• IMG_9050.jpg
    IMG_9050.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_9053.jpg
    IMG_9053.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_9078.jpg
    IMG_9078.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_9077.jpg
    IMG_9077.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9070.jpg
    IMG_9070.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_9069.jpg
    IMG_9069.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_9073.jpg
    IMG_9073.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9058.jpg
    IMG_9058.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9066.jpg
    IMG_9066.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 235

jbeletti

I think I like the new friction hinge doors, time will tell.
I used the new "friction hinge" for a month. I'm not a fan but I do think some will like it. I ended up installing a regular door catch.
Here's what I didn't care for:
- Takes MUCH more pressure to swing it closed in a single swoop (sort of the point of the hinge, but just not our thing)
- Does NOT stay open when the wind is coming from the front of the coach

fastcarsspeed

So leaving the Toy Hauler? I love the look of it and want that oven and cook top instead of the standard one in our Cyclone.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Congrats on pulling the trigger good buddy. Now we need to work on matching Swivel wheel trailers.

porthole

Retired
So leaving the Toy Hauler? I love the look of it and want that oven and cook top instead of the standard one in our Cyclone.

Yes - maybe - temporarily - different way

We bought the Cyclone because of the motorcycle.
We bought the golf cart because of the Cyclone.

There are ways to continue to bring the bike and cart, just not at the same time.

porthole

Retired
Congrats on pulling the trigger good buddy.

Thanks, no congrats yet, still waiting on at least the order confirmation.

One thing that has been confirmed through conversations with others is the lack of responses received from all the parties involved.

Not used to that. My car dealer never hesitates to return calls or emails. My local Harley dealer - finally had to tell them to stop contacting me about a bike they have.

Great Lakes RV (the 'original' Heartland dealer) was a breeze to work with when we bought the Cyclone, and I never met them until the pickup day.

My contract is conditional (a full deposit refund - walk away) on the rig being delivered with the changes in the show coach as well as correcting the shower issue.
Too many times you read about trailers being delivered significantly different from the order. I'm hoping with this rig being a new mid-mid year the changes that it will come as expected.

Timing would be nice to know to make some plans.

Dog Camp 1 starts August 30th for us. I would like at least a week prior to get things ready.
I need time to prep the Cyclone for trade.
Prepping the Cyclone and then not having a deliverable unit will be .............

Not having a RV for Dog Camp 1 will cause additional planning, as there really are not a lot of options accommodation wise since we have been RV'ing it there from 2007.
And it looks like the best option will be for us to order a golf cart to use, even if there is the chance we will still have the Cyclone. Carts are a must at that camp.

Dog Camp 2 will be no problem, RV or not, we get our choice of accommodations since i do a lot to help. And at that camp the lake is "right there"

Now we need to work on matching Swivel wheel trailers.

I contacted the person that had the Swivel wheel for sale not far from the 2015 Goshen shindig. Figured it was a long shot, but he had it for sale for 2-3 years with no takers. He sold it about 2 years ago :rolleyes:

Dan's Hitch is a block away from Tiara. I have been back and forth with them.
After 4 email responses I still don't know if:
  • Can I make an appointment around the delivery date and actually get the work done on that date
  • Can they add 3 receivers, one centered and two on 30" centers based on the swivel wheel drawing
  • an approximate cost

If I can get the receivers done from the get go, getting the SW down the road will be simpler.

chaplady

I'll be interested to hear how you make out with the dealer. As of now it seems to be the more viable option to see the Landmark floor plan we are interested in. Good Luck

HOGHAULER

If you are still looking for Swivel Wheel Call John S. @ Lake Shore RV in Muskegon MI . I traded mine in with trailer He may still have it. Was in great condition during trade also I left motorcycle 3 piece ramp with trailer.

porthole

Retired
If you are still looking for Swivel Wheel Call John S. @ Lake Shore RV in Muskegon MI . I traded mine in with trailer He may still have it. Was in great condition during trade also I left motorcycle 3 piece ramp with trailer.

Left him a message.

How long ago was the trade?

Single or dual wheel?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Dan's Hitch is a block away from Tiara. I have been back and forth with them.
After 4 email responses I still don't know if:
  • Can I make an appointment around the delivery date and actually get the work done on that date
  • Can they add 3 receivers, one centered and two on 30" centers based on the swivel wheel drawing
  • an approximate cost

If I can get the receivers done from the get go, getting the SW down the road will be simpler.
Let me know how the hitch works out will you Duane. I'm seriously considering adding one to my Newport so I can take my bike/golfcart with me.

Thanks, Keith

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
There commonly 5' long give or take...it'll be close to 70. I'm more interested in knowing if double tow is legal in nj or pa? I imagine Duane knows....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
There commonly 5' long give or take...it'll be close to 70. I'm more interested in knowing if double tow is legal in nj or pa? I imagine Duane knows....

Swivel wheel trailers are not considered double trailering since they are secured to camper frame in two locations creating a rigid connection and extending camper frame.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Not considered double tow. It is somewhat permanently attached to the frame and does not pivot on a ball. I think that is the reason??