Mice and places they got into

NYSUPstater

Pulled the BC out of storage last week and dropped off to old dealer for wheel bearing service. I knew they lil dudes got into it last week, but didn't really look closely. Brought her home today and opened it up. Sadly, will have to remove everything from the front compartment and basement and wipe down w/ Pine-Sol as well as all the walls and floors. Not sure how they got into basement as that was pretty well sealed up except for heat vent. Chewed the heck out of a roll of paper towels and lots of black specs in citronella candle.....guess they liked how it smelled!

On the inside, couple lil remnents in freezer, got into drawers in island so re-wash towels, utensils, bowls as well as everything under the sink and wipe things down w/ Pine-Sol too. Rest of drawers and pantry ok. Guess they had to blow their little noses cuz saw some chewed up tissues in box so into trash that goes. Again, will have to wipe all furniture lower portion of walls w/ Pine-Sol. Saw 1 lil black spec in drawer below tv in BR and that was about it. But to play it safe, basically will wipe down everything here too. Front closet seemed to be ok. We had clothes hanging, and ton of stuff on shelves but no lil bombs.

Should we play it safe and wash/wipe things down from closet as well while at it? Didn't look under bed....didn't think about it til now. Overall, the basement and front compartment got it the worst. All this despite: Cab Fresh & Uncle Guss's and Mouse Free sprayed underneath. Dealer said they've heard lots of folks saying the same thing about mice getting into RV's this past winter.

Oh, 1 last thing. Should I remove 1 panel in basement to look under rest of coach? Won't be able to see if any wires were chewed tho.

Thanks folks. 3 weeks till camping season starts. High gear time.

Last edited:

wdk450

I would test out your brake/taillights, and electric brake functioning well BEFORE getting on the road to give you time to fix possible wiring problems. Also slide-out functioning, and if you can get electric power and shore water you can test ALL AC outlets and AC power functions (water heater, air conditioner, TV, microwave, etc.) along with checking for freshwater plumbing leaks.

Good luck!!!

jerryjay11

You will never completely seal off all possible entry points for those little critters. Those little ones can enter in some very small places and even if it finds a point that isn't large enough, they will crew their way through. A few years back we had mice enter our previous camper. I tried mouse traps (sticky and snap) to no avail. Just for the Ha-Ha's I tried a couple ultrasonic chasers and haven't had a problem since. So, I assume they do work as our present camper we've had for the past 6 years I placed two ultrasonic chasers, leaving the camper plugged in, and haven't had any issues. No mice, no bugs!

Pulled the BC out of storage last week and dropped off to old dealer for wheel bearing service. I knew they lil dudes got into it last week, but didn't really look closely. Brought her home today and opened it up. Sadly, will have to remove everything from the front compartment and basement and wipe down w/ Pine-Sol as well as all the walls and floors. Not sure how they got into basement as that was pretty well sealed up except for heat vent. Chewed the heck out of a roll of paper towels and lots of black specs in citronella candle.....guess they liked how it smelled!

On the inside, couple lil remnents in freezer, got into drawers in island so re-wash towels, utensils, bowls as well as everything under the sink and wipe things down w/ Pine-Sol too. Rest of drawers and pantry ok. Guess they had to blow their little noses cuz saw some chewed up tissues in box so into trash that goes. Again, will have to wipe all furniture lower portion of walls w/ Pine-Sol. Saw 1 lil black spec in drawer below tv in BR and that was about it. But to play it safe, basically will wipe down everything here too. Front closet seemed to be ok. We had clothes hanging, and ton of stuff on shelves but no lil bombs.

Should we play it safe and wash/wipe things down from closet as well while at it? Didn't look under bed....didn't think about it til now. Overall, the basement and front compartment got it the worst. All this despite: Cab Fresh & Uncle Guss's and Mouse Free sprayed underneath. Dealer said they've heard lots of folks saying the same thing about mice getting into RV's this past winter.

Oh, 1 last thing. Should I remove 1 panel in basement to look under rest of coach? Won't be able to see if any wires were chewed tho.

Thanks folks. 3 weeks till camping season starts. High gear time.
We covered and filled as many areas as we could find with foam, metal, and treated steel wool. We removed any food items and crumbs. I placed 6 regular mouse traps with peanut butter bait. I collected 7 mice over a two week period. I now place moth balls all around any thing contacting the ground. Inspected all electrical and disinfected many areas. Almost 3 years mice free and checking all the time.