2021 Cyclone wall cracks

I have a 2021 cyclone 4007 toy hauler. Bought new. I have a slide-in-a-slide for my bedroom. It developed cracks early on in the house wall in both upper corners. They start at the end screws for the top "D" seal for the slide. It appears the framework in the wall has failed. Has anyone else with this floorplan had the same issues?

david-steph2018

We had a side wall crack on our 2018 Road Warrior in 2020. This crack was on the left upper corner of the big slide.
When did you purchase the rig? Will it be covered under the 3-year structure warranty?

We had a side wall crack on our 2018 Road Warrior in 2020. This crack was on the left upper corner of the big slide.
When did you purchase the rig? Will it be covered under the 3-year structure warranty?
Purchased 6/2020. Not sure yet about the warranty. It should be. The cracks started long before the warranty ran out, but I had a significant leak in the same slide as the cracks and I wanted to positively find that leak before we contacted them about the cracks, since I felt it was completely relevant. In hind sight, that was a mistake. But it's a long story. It's a Covid rig. The build started before Covid, and 2 mo later when they could come back to work, it was completed. I'm now also certain the vertical aluminum frame members on that slide were also welded grossly out of square, resulting in the same for the wall cutout. I can even see slide hardware literally hanging in the air (with photos to prove it). Again, long story.

So far, Heartland is saying they likely won't cover it. But to be fair, I have not yet informed them directly regarding the flagrant deviations of quality, workmanship, early life serviceability (Covid) and the serious repercussions we have faced since purchasing this Cyclone 4007. I am going through the evidence photos I have accumulated since we bought it and will be sending them everything they've asked for this week.

I haven't decided yet if I tell them up front about both of the wall slide holes being out of square (& more) or if I should wait until their reaction regarding the cracks.

What do you guys think?

david-steph2018

Purchased 6/2020. Not sure yet about the warranty. It should be. The cracks started long before the warranty ran out, but I had a significant leak in the same slide as the cracks and I wanted to positively find that leak before we contacted them about the cracks, since I felt it was completely relevant. In hind sight, that was a mistake. But it's a long story. It's a Covid rig. The build started before Covid, and 2 mo later when they could come back to work, it was completed. I'm now also certain the vertical aluminum frame members on that slide were also welded grossly out of square, resulting in the same for the wall cutout. I can even see slide hardware literally hanging in the air (with photos to prove it). Again, long story.

So far, Heartland is saying they likely won't cover it. But to be fair, I have not yet informed them directly regarding the flagrant deviations of quality, workmanship, early life serviceability (Covid) and the serious repercussions we have faced since purchasing this Cyclone 4007. I am going through the evidence photos I have accumulated since we bought it and will be sending them everything they've asked for this week.

I haven't decided yet if I tell them up front about both of the wall slide holes being out of square (& more) or if I should wait until their reaction regarding the cracks.

What do you guys think?
Not sure about the warranty since it looks like you are about 8-9 months out. Talk nicely and see if there is anything they will do for you.
I would talk to them about everything, advise them of the photos if they want the pics.

Last edited:

sengli

Its seems as if its the internal aluminum structure frame work that fails around the slide out corners.. in pretty much every thread with that type of cracking going on. The cracking on the external skin is just a symptom of the root cause in the wall. There are a lot of threads describing those wall cracks on here. I have seen it on ,so many used rigs at various dealers on SOB units as well.

Its seems as if its the internal aluminum structure frame work that fails around the slide out corners.. in pretty much every thread with that type of cracking going on. The cracking on the external skin is just a symptom of the root cause in the wall. There are a lot of threads describing those wall cracks on here. I have seen it on ,so many used rigs at various dealers on SOB units as well.
Yeah, that is definitely what has happened. The framer actually cut the slide holes grossly out of square. I've worked in manufacturing for over 40 years. 2 Horiz are //...2 Vert are //. But the slide hole is more of a parallelogram than rectangular. I even have photos from the inside of the main slide that show slide hardware that literally hangs in the air. That slides' Schwintek motor has already torn out once and been replaced, and it seems it may be starting again.
My tall slide (7ft) is about one inch out of square. You're not going to get good welds except on 1/2 the assembly, one edge, when it's assembled that out of square. In addition, in the bays you can see many of the aluminum framing assembly welds are burnt, some badly.
I didn't realize they were being re-sold again with cracks. SOB?

sengli

Some Other Brand...SOB These structural failures happen on other brands as well, since they are all built the same. I have seen these failure on many other brand name coaches used for sale.

Dmetcalf

Here are a couple pictures of my same exact issue with our 4007 bedroom slide.

Attachments

• IMG_5837.png
    IMG_5837.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 9.28.19 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 9.28.19 AM.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5720.jpeg
    IMG_5720.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 29

Dmetcalf

So I hired a local mobile welder and this is how I fixed it from the inside wall. I wasn’t about to cut open the outside fiberglass wall. Notice the additional gussets I had him install for added strength.

Attachments

• IMG_5850.jpeg
    IMG_5850.jpeg
    909.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5849.jpeg
    IMG_5849.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
I read so much about frames failing etc in these newer units I just bought a 22 bighorn traveler 39mb, should I be concerned? I see horror stories

Routemaster

Question Sir.
How did you know where to pull off the inside skin, and tell tail outside, a portable X-ray machine?
Den.

Dmetcalf

LOL, no I just went directly inward where the outside crack was. It was at the bottom right of the slide.
[ATTACHREUSE]

Attachments

• IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Dmetcalf

The carpet is the bottom corner of the interior part of the slide. I ran the slide in so I could access more of the interior wall as well.

Routemaster

Why I asked is because I have some movement at the left-hand corner of the bathroom and I do not see anything obvious but can hear it.