4200 plus F350 DRW LB total length

df2686df

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a 4200 and pulling it with a 2017 Ford F350 DRW. Anyone have this setup that can provide a total length? Is it over 60'? And if rigs are over 60', do people get oversize permits or roll the dice you won't get caught?

Dan

OEFVET

I have a GMC and my combined length is 61'. I don't get any permits while traveling. CDL A is highly recommended.

avvidclif

FWIW. The setup in my sig is 54' total length. The RV itself is 38'6".

65' is max allowed without a permit. (in TX)

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW. The setup in my sig is 54' total length. The RV itself is 38'6".

65' is max allowed without a permit. (in TX)

df2686df

I live close to where these units are made in Indiana...where we have a 60' maximum combined length. But I don't see rigs with oversized signs on them when the haulers head down the road to deliver. Is this maximum just not enforced in most states?

It looks like a Dodge 3500 DRW CC SB might just squeak under the 60' combined length, but I'd certainly prefer a long wheelbase.

Dan

danemayer

The law varies by state. Here's a link to a Good Sam's Club listing.

I don't think we've heard of anyone running into trouble for being too long at 60-62 feet combined, so either not a lot of people are over the limits, or the laws are not being enforced. Washington D.C. has a 55' limit, but having driven there for many years, I think you'd be making a serious mistake towing a 60+ footer through D.C. And according to Good Sam's list, at 50', everyone must be breaking the law in New Jersey.

As for CDL class A license, some states do require a class A non-commercial license for certain weight classes, including RVs. But as we've discussed repeatedly for at least the past 6 year, there isn't any enforcement. A Commercial Class A is not much different in terms of testing and fees, but in some states you may need an annual medical certification to hold a CDL. Some states will waive the medical if you attest that you're not driving commercially. Others won't.

OEFVET

Having a Class A CDL is necessary due to weight and length of the 4200. Regardless of whether it is enforced or not. The real reason to have it is in the unfortunate situation of an accident in terms of Insurance and liability issues related to an accident. It's too late to cya after something occurs. JMHO

DirtyMax88

My good buddy from NC, Power-Stroke (username on here), has the set up you are talking about, he has a '16 Cyclone 4200 with a Ram 3500 CCLB DRW. I don't think he has ever had any problems, issues, etc.

danemayer

Having a Class A CDL is necessary due to weight and length of the 4200. Regardless of whether it is enforced or not. The real reason to have it is in the unfortunate situation of an accident in terms of Insurance and liability issues related to an accident. It's too late to cya after something occurs. JMHO

CDL is for Commercial transport. If you can point to a state law anywhere requiring a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) to tow an RV for personal use, I'd be interested.

Some states require a Class A non-commercial. Texas for example. California has some similar requirements. There are no doubt others. But as far as I know, no one requires a Commercial Driver's License to tow for personal use.

Some states like Colorado do not require a Class A to tow any RV and don't issue a non-commercial Class A even if you want one.

OEFVET

Semantics Dan! The combined weight of the 4200 and tow vehicle is over 26,000lbs requiring either a CDL or what some states call a non commercial use waiver CDL. Prior to the US DOT federally regulated the CDLs each State had their own classes. Again big difference here is when you exceed the 26,000lbs GVCW. Many operate without it and will have NO issues until of course the "incident occurs" .

porthole

Retired

at 50', everyone must be breaking the law in New Jersey.

Just because we are home to the Sopranos ...........

TITLE 39. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
SUBTITLE 1. MOTOR VEHICLES GENERALLY; TRAFFIC LAWS
CHAPTER 3. MOTOR VEHICLES GENERALLY
ARTICLE 5. DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT; VIOLATIONS; SEVERABILITY

(13) The maximum overall length of a recreation vehicle including any load or truck camperthereon found or operated in this State shall not exceed 45 feet and no combination of a recreationvehicle with any vehicle, including the load thereon, nor any combination of any motor vehicle withany camping trailer, fifth wheel trailer or park trailer attached thereto, as these terms are defined insection 1 of P.L.1991, c.483 (C.46:8C-10), shall exceed 65 feet in length.

Further, the outside widthof a recreation vehicle found or operated in this State shall not exceed 102 inches, excluding safetyappurtenances such as awnings and lights which are integral to the construction of the vehicle, installedby the vehicle's manufacturer or dealer, and do not extend more than three inches wide oneach side of the vehicle, provided however, that such vehicles permissibly exceeding the 102 inchwidth with their attached equipment or appurtenances shall only be operated:

- - - Updated - - -

And for those wondering about the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey.

TITLE 19. OTHER AGENCIESNEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 9. NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
SUBCHAPTER 1. TRAFFIC CONTROL ON NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE

1. All vehicles, except cars, campers, omnibuses, attached noncommercial trailers or semitrailersare prohibited from the Parkway north of Interchange 105;2. Vehicles, or combination of vehicles, including any load thereon, exceeding the followingmaximum dimensions, except by special permit from the Authority:i. Height--13 feet, six inches;ii. Width--eight feet, six inches;iii. Length: Semitrailer in excess of 53 feet in length when in a tractor-semitrailercombination, private utility, house-type semitrailer or trailer with a length of any singlevehicle in excess of 35 feet, private utility, house-type semitrailer and towing vehiclecombination in excess of 45 feet and private utility, house-type trailer and towing vehiclecombination in excess of 50 feet, except that single recreational vehicles of up to 40 feetin length and combination recreational vehicles of up to 62 feet in length may operate onthe Parkway;iv. Gross weight: 80,000 pounds;

avvidclif

How breaking the law in NJ??? Any COMBINATION not over 65', I didn't read about the parkway, never going to NJ.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I could be wrong, but does not the 60' or 65' pertain to wheel base not over all length??? Ya know...front axle to rear axle??

MikeandDar

Hmm, total length is a good question we have a 2016 4250 HD that we pull with a 2015 Crew Cab F350 DRW 8ft bed and I never measured it. I guess that will have to wait till the spring. As far as special license or permits, this is a topic that comes up on every outing and nobody seems to have an answer. I do know that if you ask a truck driver he will tell you permits and a special license is needed, the guy two sites down from wherever we may be for the weekend will tell you he thinks you need them and the lady behind the counter at the local DMV office just looks at me with a blank look on her face that says please don't ask me that question.

MCTalley

Interesting that 20 out of 50 states have a maximum trailer length of 40 feet. Good thing we got rid of our previous 42' front bath Big Country.

Note that when we had our accident (with the aforementioned trailer) in Indiana, nobody asked how long the trailer or combo was, nobody measured either, nobody broke out the scales to see if we were overweight. Granted, if a lawsuit had come of the accident, those questions may have been raised.

porthole

Retired
Interesting that 20 out of 50 states have a maximum trailer length of 40 feet.

Havetowonderjusthowaccuartethegoodsaminfois.MostoftheNewJerseyifoiswrong.

Have to wonder just accurate the good sam stuff is. Most of the New Jersey info is wrong.

justafordguy

Semantics Dan! The combined weight of the 4200 and tow vehicle is over 26,000lbs requiring either a CDL or what some states call a non commercial use waiver CDL. Prior to the US DOT federally regulated the CDLs each State had their own classes. Again big difference here is when you exceed the 26,000lbs GVCW. Many operate without it and will have NO issues until of course the "incident occurs" .

This must a state by state thing, Here in Florida all RVs are exempt from the 26,000lbs GVCW limit and no CDL of any type is required. You are only required to meet the requirements of the state you are registered in.

OEFVET

This must a state by state thing, Here in Florida all RVs are exempt from the 26,000lbs GVCW limit and no CDL of any type is required. You are only required to meet the requirements of the state you are registered in.

As long as you stay within your State. States don't automatically have reciprocity with other states that you travel in.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Arizona Law:

ARIZONA: Maximum RV width 102 in.(some exceptions); maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum combined length for two vehicles 65 ft. Triple-towing allowed w/fifth wheel. Riding permitted in travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers and truck campers.

[h=3]Rules of the Road - Woodalls[/h]www.woodalls.com/articledetails.aspx?articleID=1195129