4200 plus F350 DRW LB total length

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a 4200 and pulling it with a 2017 Ford F350 DRW. Anyone have this setup that can provide a total length? Is it over 60'? And if rigs are over 60', do people get oversize permits or roll the dice you won't get caught?

Dan

Texas the legal length is 65 feet

justafordguy

As long as you stay within your State. States don't automatically have reciprocity with other states that you travel in.

So you're saying that if I want to travel in a state that has a different license requirement than my home state, I have to get a different license from the other state? That sure seems odd and unlikely. What if I want to travel through a dozen different states with different requirements? How would anyone be able to travel around the country?

OEFVET

No I am not saying that! As I've stated before; many of us travel through many other States without any issues. If you have an accident with injuries in another State and you don't meet that States requirements it could cost you a lot in liabilities.

Jim-Lynn

Found this web site that should answer all your questions by each individual State.
http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

State Road Laws

I am towing at 62', trailer and truck. I have traveled throughout Canada and mostly the US. I have known there are a few States that I do exceed the overall length. If I had to enter the individual State with a thought of "what if" I would probably just stay at home. I have traveled through Colorado many times, look at our friends on this site living in that state with rigs over their maximum length, no issues.
Just keep rolling and have fun.

Jim

porthole

Retired
So far the links provided for Good Sam, Woodalls and RV Trip Wizard have incorrect info for New Jersey.
So much for easy to get information.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So far the links provided for Good Sam, Woodalls and RV Trip Wizard have incorrect info for New Jersey.
So much for easy to get information.

If I remember looking at New Jersey correctly. It showed a maximum trailer length as 40' and a maximum combo length as 50'. If you got a 40' trailer, you would need a really short tow vehicle.

porthole

Retired
If I remember looking at New Jersey correctly. It showed a maximum trailer length as 40' and a maximum combo length as 50'. If you got a 40' trailer, you would need a really short tow vehicle.

Instead of looking at New Jersey in any of the links that were provided, look at the the State Title's 39 and 19 that I took snips from.

TITLE 39. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
SUBTITLE 1. MOTOR VEHICLES GENERALLY; TRAFFIC LAWS
CHAPTER 3. MOTOR VEHICLES GENERALLY
ARTICLE 5. DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT; VIOLATIONS; SEVERABILITY

(13) The maximum overall length of a recreation vehicle including any load or truck camper there on found or operated in this State shall not exceed 45 feet and no combination of a recreation vehicle with any vehicle, including the load thereon, nor any combination of any motor vehicle with any camping trailer, fifth wheel trailer or park trailer attached thereto, as these terms are defined in section 1 of P.L.1991, c.483 (C.46:8C-10), shall exceed 65 feet in length.

Further, the outside width of a recreation vehicle found or operated in this State shall not exceed 102 inches, excluding safety appurtenances such as awnings and lights which are integral to the construction of the vehicle, installed by the vehicle's manufacturer or dealer, and do not extend more than three inches wide on each side of the vehicle, provided however, that such vehicles permissibly exceeding the 102 inch width with their attached equipment or appurtenances shall only be operated:

- - - Updated - - -

And for those wondering about the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey.

TITLE 19. OTHER AGENCIESNEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 9. NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
SUBCHAPTER 1. TRAFFIC CONTROL ON NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE

1. All vehicles, except cars, campers, omnibuses, attached noncommercial trailers or semi trailers are prohibited from the Parkway north of Interchange 105;2. Vehicles, or combination of vehicles, including any load thereon, exceeding the following maximum dimensions, except by special permit from the Authority: i. Height--13 feet, six inches; ii. Width--eight feet, six inches; iii. Length: Semitrailer in excess of 53 feet in length when in a tractor-semi trailer combination, private utility, house-type semitrailer or trailer with a length of any single vehicle in excess of 35 feet, private utility, house-type semitrailer and towing vehicle combination in excess of 45 feet and private utility, house-type trailer and towing vehicle combination in excess of 50 feet, except that single recreational vehicles of up to 40 feet in length and combination recreational vehicles of up to 62 feet in length may operate on the Parkway; iv. Gross weight: 80,000 pounds;

justafordguy

I understand that most people just don't worry about traveling in other states that have different license regulations than their own even though it may be illegal (still not sure about this) but what I was wondering is could I even get a license from this other state so I would be legal if I don't live there. I thought you had to provide proof of residency to get a state drivers license?

OEFVET

No the best way to handle your concern is to get a class A CDL in your State of residence. You can take the road test with your truck and trailer if it is over 26,000gvw combined. You should be able to waive the medical checkups if your State has a recreational use waiver.

justafordguy

No the best way to handle your concern is to get a class A CDL in your State of residence. You can take the road test with your truck and trailer if it is over 26,000gvw combined. You should be able to waive the medical checkups if your State has a recreational use waiver.

Thanks, I'm well under 26k but I was just curious as to why some states were different. Seems odd that if the federal license laws don't require a CDL for RVs and most states don't either, why would some states require it. :confused:

OEFVET

My guess is that with more popularity of recreational vehicles and the increase in size and weight more regulations will become the norm. Just think back twenty years ago. It was un heard of to have a triple axle RV. Tow vehicles are getting much more powerful as well. I suspect States will eventually require some type of additional regulations. All it will take is a serious accident with deaths to get this started in a particular State.

When I travel through States I don't worry about the "what if" scenario because I have the CDL with proper insurance and my equipment is well maintained.

porthole

Retired
a) I'm pretty sure every state only allows one license, that from your residency state.

b) You should only need a license that meets whatever the requirements are for you residency state.

All states are supposed to recognize your license.

OEFVET

The first act of Terrorism using a Recreational Vehicle instead of a commercial vehicle will get the regulatory authorities attention as well. Look what has been happening in Europe. Just something to consider.

porthole

Retired
The first act of Terrorism using a Recreational Vehicle instead of a commercial vehicle will get the regulatory authorities attention as well. Look what has been happening in Europe. Just something to consider.

How did the 1993 incident change regulations for renters of small trucks?

Already has been an issue with ambulances and nothing more then 'warnings' have been done by that.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is one for you. In New Jersey nothing more then a standard drivers license and being a firefighter is required to drive a fire pumper or truck. Even if it is a 76,000 pound 45' long truck with air brakes or a tractor drawn aerial, only need a standard license.

Scary is when you take a 20 something that has never driven anything bigger then a camry and put him behind the wheel of a 26K pound pumper with 1250 gallons of water and have him respond to his first serious call. And on top of that allow him to exceed the speed limit by 10 mph

chiefneon

Howdy!

I don't think you will have to worry about length our MDT (4400 International) and Cyclone 4000 hooked together is 64'. I'm sure you will be under that. I have a Texas class A license not because of the MDT but because I've towed trailers over 10,000#s.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

OEFVET

How did the 1993 incident change regulations for renters of small trucks?

Already has been an issue with ambulances and nothing more then 'warnings' have been done by that.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is one for you. In New Jersey nothing more then a standard drivers license and being a firefighter is required to drive a fire pumper or truck. Even if it is a 76,000 pound 45' long truck with air brakes or a tractor drawn aerial, only need a standard license.

Scary is when you take a 20 something that has never driven anything bigger then a camry and put him behind the wheel of a 26K pound pumper with 1250 gallons of water and have him respond to his first serious call. And on top of that allow him to exceed the speed limit by 10 mph

Hmmm now I know why New Jersey is going bankrupt. Lawsuits settled must be high. In NY the municipalities require the same CDL required of commercial drivers. Only difference is medical waivers.

danemayer

With CDL, the key word is COMMERCIAL. The Federal Gov't created a bunch of CDL requirements they pushed out to the states years ago in order to standardize requirements for interstate commercial trucking.

As mentioned earlier, I've never heard that any state requires a COMMERCIAL Drivers License in order to tow any weight RV for personal use. Chris, you seem to think otherwise, but I doubt you can back that up by pointing to a statute.

Some states do require a NON-COMMERCIAL class A license when towing an RV over a certain weight, even for personal use. California is one. Texas is another. Neither enforces the requirement. Would there be some legal liability if you cause an accident in your home state and don't have the required license? Maybe. My thought is that the legal exposure would be to a claim of depraved indifference which could remove pain and suffering liability caps such as exist in Texas. But I'm not a lawyer - so who knows.

And we have in the past had extensive discussion about whether a state you visit will honor your home state drivers license, based on the laws of your home state. A number of people with many years of law enforcement experience weighed in on those past discussions to say that there is reciprocity and your home state's license authorizations will be recognized by law enforcement in the states you visit. Clearly, if they didn't do so, it would be rather chaotic.

OEFVET

With CDL, the key word is COMMERCIAL. The Federal Gov't created a bunch of CDL requirements they pushed out to the states years ago in order to standardize requirements for interstate commercial trucking.

As mentioned earlier, I've never heard that any state requires a COMMERCIAL Drivers License in order to tow any weight RV for personal use. Chris, you seem to think otherwise, but I doubt you can back that up by pointing to a statute.

Some states do require a NON-COMMERCIAL class A license when towing an RV over a certain weight, even for personal use. California is one. Texas is another. Neither enforces the requirement. Would there be some legal liability if you cause an accident in your home state and don't have the required license? Maybe. My thought is that the legal exposure would be to a claim of depraved indifference which could remove pain and suffering liability caps such as exist in Texas. But I'm not a lawyer - so who knows.

And we have in the past had extensive discussion about whether a state you visit will honor your home state drivers license, based on the laws of your home state. A number of people with many years of law enforcement experience weighed in on those past discussions to say that there is reciprocity and your home state's license authorizations will be recognized by law enforcement in the states you visit. Clearly, if they didn't do so, it would be rather chaotic.

No Dan if you paid attention to my earlier posts you would see that I stated some States require a non-commercial use CDL once you exceed 26,000lbs. I NEVER said a CDL was required. What I did say is that if you live in a States that doesn't offer a non-commercial CDL an option would be to get the CDL. Also noteworthy is reciprocity is NOT automatic. Yes many States have it but it is not automatic.

Your RV is not over 26,000lbs so it's easy for you to say "take your chances"