5th Wheel w/ Goosebox

kbp

Does it require safety chains in Texas? Dealer that installed it said it does not. Taking it to Tx DPS station for driving test to get Class A exempt license next week and do not want to be failed before I start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy

You'll need to check TX DOT for that answer but I would install chains because they are required in many states. And to those who say "who's going to know?" I only offer an experience I had in a McDonald's RV/Truck parking lot. As I pulled into an open spot along side two 18 wheelers I noticed that both were being inspected by State Troopers, thought nothing of it and waked into the restaurant. Upon returning from lunch I couldn't help but notice they were inspecting our rig. Now granted in was a visual inspection but the troopers were checking the GVWR sticker, our truck's registered weight, tires and hitch setup.

They both got back into their cruisers and left without saying a word to us but one wonders if they noticed anything that would have prompted a consent search or safety check.

kbp

Thanks for all the information! From this forum and my searching the Google machine I am going to attach chains to it somehow since it has been altered from its original 5th wheel setup- relatively cheap to do so and better safe than sorry! Thanks All!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added chains to my goosebox, there are two holes designed for chains in under the back of the hitch. Stopped at Lowes picked up some grade 8 hardware and ran the bolts through the chain. You can buy a specific chain kit for the goose box through reese or you can just buy chains and hooks. It turned out the same price for either direction, it was just quicker to run down to my local northern tool and buy the chain and hooks over waiting for the chains to arrive as I was in a little bit of a rush.

http://www.towingproducts.net/Application/support/instructions/N49150.pdf

here are the directions on adding the chains.

Tombstonejim

I do not have a picture the trailer is in Tucson and I am home. I have a goose neck adaptor it did not come from the dealer with chains but I added them. I had rather add $30 worth of chains that argue with some DOT idiot. My thoughts are that that trailer ain't gonna come off of that hitch unless the whole rig is upside down and then it ain't gonna matter but I don't make the silly laws.

Sec. 545.410. TOWING SAFETY CHAINS. (a) An operator of a passenger car or light truck may not draw a trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or another motor vehicle unless safety chains of a type approved by the department are attached in a manner approved by the department from the trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or drawn motor vehicle to the drawing vehicle. This subsection does not apply to the drawing of a trailer or semitrailer used for agricultural purposes.

(b) The department shall adopt rules prescribing the type of safety chains required to be used according to the weight of the trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or motor vehicle being drawn. The rules shall:

(1) require safety chains to be strong enough to maintain the connection between the trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or drawn motor vehicle and the drawing vehicle; and

(2) show the proper method to attach safety chains between the trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or drawn motor vehicle and the drawing vehicle.

(c) Subsection (b) does not apply to trailers, semitrailers, or house trailers that are equipped with safety chains installed by the original manufacturer before the effective date of the rules.

(d) This section does not apply to a trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or drawn motor vehicle that is operated in compliance with the federal motor carrier safety regulations.

(e) In this section, "safety chains" means flexible tension members connected from the front of a drawn vehicle to the rear of the drawing vehicle to maintain connection between the vehicles if the primary connecting system fails.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.113(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1357, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Cannot edit or add info to the part of the Texas Transportation Code that requires the safety chains by law. Don't know about he administrative code by law enforcement is gonna look at the transportation code for what is required and not. According to that you have to have them.