A/C is acting very strange

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ray, if the tech knows what he is DOING. The GM (tech 11) scan tool will tell him or her which actuator is failing. No guess work involved. You can override the failing actuator and make it work with the scan tool. BTW, the failed actuator will set a code which will narrow it down. So will the cycling switch set a code. You can test the cycling switch yourself. If the A/C is on and the compressor does not run. Unplug the cycling switch and carefully insert a small bent paper clip on the 2 terminals. The cycling switch is either on the low side (big) line going to the accumulator or the accumulator itself (round aluminum) looking thingy on the right side of the HVAC case on the firewall. The compressor will run unless there is another problem, like low freon or bad high pressure cut off switch which is on the back of the compressor.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, if the tech knows what he is DOING. The GM (tech 11) scan tool will tell him or her which actuator is failing. No guess work involved. You can override the failing actuator and make it work with the scan tool. BTW, the failed actuator will set a code which will narrow it down. So will the cycling switch set a code. You can test the cycling switch yourself. If the A/C is on and the compressor does not run. Unplug the cycling switch and carefully insert a small bent paper clip on the 2 terminals. The cycling switch is either on the low side (big) line going to the accumulator or the accumulator itself (round aluminum) looking thingy on the right side of the HVAC case on the firewall. The compressor will run unless there is another problem, like low freon or bad high pressure cut off switch which is on the back of the compressor.
Thanks Bob, I'm pretty much at their mercy now, They've had the truck since this morning. They called and said both sides needed to be replaced. After discussing the symptoms, we decided to only go for the replacement on the driver side. It was the side that was blowing the hot air. And, the cheaper side to replace. $400.00:eek:
I mentioned what you had said about the amount of time needed for a "good" tech to do the passenger side. You can imagine their response. They go by the book of course. I have a friend in the parts dept. of a GMC dealership back home. I may tackle the passenger side when I get home. Thanks my friend..

Bob&Patty

Well Ray, replacing both actuators is what is called the "shotgun effect" (shoot at the truck with a shotgun and replace everything it hits). If you replace everything then the problem will be fixed. YEA RIGHT....at your expence. Just how much are they charging your for the part?? $400.00 seems alittle high to me. Are they charging you to diagnose it and to replace the part?? If and when you decide to replace the passenger side. let me know and I will walk you through it.

Ray LeTourneau

Well Ray, replacing both actuators is what is called the "shotgun effect" (shoot at the truck with a shotgun and replace everything it hits). If you replace everything then the problem will be fixed. YEA RIGHT....at your expense. Just how much are they charging your for the part?? $400.00 seems a little high to me. Are they charging you to diagnose it and to replace the part?? If and when you decide to replace the passenger side. let me know and I will walk you through it.
Bob, the part is around $200 and the labor was 4 hours, I think. I agree though, it seems like some dealers tend to take advantage of us whenever they can. The truck is ready and I'll pick it up today. I'll let you know the details when we get home. The drivers side was the problem child so hopefully we won't have any further issues.

Bob&Patty

4 hours labor!!!!!! It only payes 2.5 hrs to remove the whole dash carrier assembly to replace the heater core. You can access all the actuators by removing the upper dash pad ( takes 10 minutes) except 1 which is on the left side of the HVAC at the bottom. I would make them show you the book time for the repair. All the actuators are held on by 3 5.5 mm screws. OOOOOOPS....did I say rip off??

brianharrison

4 hours labor!!!!!! It only payes 2.5 hrs to remove the whole dash carrier assembly to replace the heater core....... I would make them show you the book time for the repair.

OK - where can I go find these books? - estimated labor times for repair? Are they yet available, or pirated for lowly consumer (sucker) like me? Probably still tightly controlled....:mad:

Take care,
Brian

caokgafamily

Ray,

I like no payments also! atleast the squirrels didn't get to your truck. The D-mn tree rats chewed on my Ford for a while and it cost over $2000 to fix!!!!

I put a scope on my 22 and I have been having fun killing as many as I can.

Steve

Ray LeTourneau

We picked up the truck today and the a/c is blowing cold. Bob, I foud out that they use All Data for their hourly rating. I know thats an on-line data base and I think you need to be a paying member to access any info. I guess the important part is it's over, they have my money and it's working. It's sad though that the average vehicle owner is at the mercy of a dealers honesty. We don't have many options.

Bob&Patty

Chilton is one time labor guide and has been around for EVER. Dont know if they have an on-line site and you have to pay to access it. Everybody knows someone that repairs cars. Ask if they have one. When looking up labor times, make sure you look at the "add's" listed and the correct years. Such as A/C, 2WD,4WD, etc,etc. It will make a difference on what the labor hours are. All times start out as a base vehicle.