A.C main air outlet

Homer1959

Gyus, are you leaving the main air outlet on your rv air cond. always wide open or closed ? Do you see any difference in performance, my AC is strugling on my 30feet tt 15000 btu at 85 degrees thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadJunkie

On my previous rig, I tried both using the ducts and directly from the air unit itself. My opinion was that it worked better using the direct approach. It seemed to me that pushing the air at 90 deg right out of the air unit created back pressure. I don't know what temps you are trying to reach inside the rig when you say your unit is struggling. It may be time to consider putting up insulating measures on the windows.

CDN

B and B
The air dump in my experience with Travel Trailers does a great job at getting he main area cooled down. The only thing to fix hot temps is a second AC. some install these using a operate 120 VAC 20 amp plug to avoid upgrading to 50 amp. If you have 50 amp adding is easier. As mentioned some window control with reflecting foil might help! I wish it was 80 degrees in Ontario right now mes amis.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Before I upgraded to a two air conditioner TT, I had a single AC on a large TT. I kept a fan circulating the air from one end to the other and usually was able to keep the TT pretty frosty.

Having two air conditioners help drastically with air circulation and help keep it even cooler in hot weather. but still the circulation is key.

Homer1959

First I would like to thank you all for your reply

Looks like I have found the problem, if its a problem....

I could reproduce it at will, all I have to do is to close the main air outlet under the ac while leaving all the other registry open , then set the A.C in the trailer at temperature outside the trailer and wait , ( doing that at night )

It wont take long for the AC to start, to run 1mn , and to shut down. The same cycle start all over again and I waited for 6 of these cycles to confirm that it is not a normal sequence of some sort.

Then to stop this all I had to do is to open the main outlet under the A.C... no more problem to report, ac resume to a perfectly normal operation and cool the trailer pretty well.

So, now I need to find someone to tell me why this is happening but only when the outside temp and inside temps are almost identical. It is some kind of protection ? Any way glad to have resumed to a normal operation during the night...its absolutly annoying to hear the ac startiong and stopping every 10mn or so

Homer1959

Also despite that it is a new unit i decided to investigate the separation between the cold and return side in the A.C.

Well Dometic can do a much better job, a lot of cold air was moving inside the ac from cold air to return air , the foam seal separating both side is way too thin and a large gap of 1/8 of an inch over 12 inches long was allowing the cold air to be sucked in by the return side. A bit of foam seal, some duct tape and I cant feel any cold air entering the return side anymore

Im sure to see an improvement in the performance of my A.C

Also despite that it is a new unit i decided to investigate the separation between the cold and return side in the A.C.

Well Dometic can do a much better job, a lot of cold air was moving inside the ac from cold air to return air , the foam seal separating both side is way too thin and a large gap of 1/8 of an inch over 12 inches long was allowing the cold air to be sucked in by the return side. A bit of foam seal, some duct tape and I cant feel any cold air entering the return side anymore

Homer1959, I found the same problem with my last TT. There was also a lot of leakage around the ducts. I used more than half a roll of the metal duct tape and it made a huge difference. If you take the plastic cover down you will see areas that haven't been closed off.

Homer1959

Homer1959, I found the same problem with my last TT. There was also a lot of leakage around the ducts. I used more than half a roll of the metal duct tape and it made a huge difference. If you take the plastic cover down you will see areas that haven't been closed off.

Ill take a look thanks !!

If the air conditioner does not cool check whether :
1. The air filter might be clogged
2. The AC must have a defect in thermostat
3. The AC must have some defective parts
4. The size of an AC is smaller as a normal size