AC Mistake Should Have Bought Landmark

RB2012

When we bought our bighorn we checked out many name brand units at the hershey rv show in october in Pa. The temps were in the 50 s so none of the displayes units needed air on in fact many had the fireplaces on . After deciding on the big horn took delivery in March, then went to Florida where ac is required well was I surprised went the pair of 747 s jet engines started up you cannot hear tv when the air is on , so now I ask someone if it is possible to rework the ac in the liv rm only to the type of ac systems that is installed in the landmark. They put the returns off to the side of the ceiling so the noise is definately quieter . If i have to spend a couple of thousand dollars thats better than trading up to a landmark which may result in a 35,000 tradeup. I wiil call myself stupid for making this mistake so if someone has some thoughts i would apreciate
Thanks Capt RC

danemayer

Hi RB2012,

When the new A/C design was announced, I think they talked about a complete redesign of the ductwork in the ceiling, as well as different mounting of the A/C units. And although I'm not positive, it may involve different A/C units. Considering the laminated, multilayer construction of the roof/ceiling, I'd be very surprised if rework was feasible.

That said, the WhisperQuiet A/C design is pretty new, so 99% of RVers have been and continue to deal with the louder A/C design. In hot weather, and with direct sun on the windows, your living room unit will run quite a bit to keep things cool. And if you let the inside temps climb during the day, it may be 9 or 10PM before the A/C catches up. So it's important to keep the rig as cool as possible during the day. Some of us close off the bedroom vents to help cool the living room faster.

Many of us have connected the TV audio to the surround sound so that we can hear the TV over the Air Conditioning. In the manuals section of the forum (TOOLS/Heartland HOM Manuals), we've got an illustrated guide to making these connections. Here's a link.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I get tired of the 747 jet noise I just turn the AC fan to low. It makes a big difference.
I do this with consideration for outside temps and humidity. I do not want to freeze up the coils.

Peace
Dave

Eddhuy

I was told by the dealer that it is the same AC unit but mounted and ducted differently and no way to upgrade to it, either it comes quiet or live with it. At an RV show in Sacramento, I told a salesman that the Prowler AC was too loud, he proceeded to tell me how quiet their unit was in the Big Horn. I said good, I'll turn it on before buying it, he then told me it would be the same as my Prowler is now. I can live with the Prowler AC for now but my new unit will have a quiet AC. My keystone TT AC was quiet, everything was quiet in that TT. I expect the same from my next 5er and it will either pass my noise level test, purely subjective, or I will pass it up.

Birchwood

We run our bedroom air when we are in the livingroom.I had them turn
on the Whisper Quiet ac in a Landmark at the Tampa show and its still loud and the salesman agreed.
On warm nights the bedroom AC is required and it cycles on and off all night.We have become used
of the noise and the cool air feels great on a Florida sunburned face.

dave10a

Mine was built for the hearing impaired. People with normal hearing will regret truning on the AC.

Sandpirate69

I have to agree. These A/C's are loud. I had the bedroom A/C installed & thats even louder because it sits lower. Although, it does cool the room fast, here in S. Florida its just smoking HOT !