air conditioner question; its sweating inside

steiny93

this weekend it was pretty hot and muggy for our area (ND/MN) low 90's with humidity in the 80's
so first really test of the new rigs ac ability

the cyclone was plugged into shore power and running the ac; after a day with the ac on the unit started sweating water into the living room and it appeared to be a bit iced up (but it was still cooling)
they flipped the vents so it dumped the air into the living room and the icing quit as well as the sweating into the living room (my guess is that the unit was having trouble getting enough air flow across the coil)

is this normal?
our last 5er didn't do this

wanted to get some opinions and others experiences before i call the dealer
my exspectation is that i don't have to worry about the ac; just turn it on and leave at

thoughts?

CactusTwo

Leave the vent louvers open at all times unless you do a modification, high humidity is an issue for excess moisture, switch the fan speed to low on the thermostat if you get to cold or turn the temp setting higher by 1 degree to shut the AC off if you get cold. Our refer also sweats/ ices on the cooling fins when it gets muggy. I did a mod on the AC that deflected the air towards the ducting above the ceiling with some metal and foil duct tape. Found the mod at modmyrv.com. take a look at it

steiny93

So its normal for the ac to sweat unless all of the air is being dumped into the living room? That seems odd to me

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
In high humidity dont run the fan on low speed. It will cause the evaperator to ice up.

SmokeyBare

When you have time, and are ready to clean the foam intake air filter of the A/C...

Take a flash light and look inside the Air Intake side. There is a Metal wall separating the Warm Intake Air & Exhaust (Cold Air). I found the double side tape that held this sheet of metal firmly in place, so that it blocked the flow of air from the warm side to the cold side, had lost its grip. The metal divider was down about an inch which allowed the Cold Air that should have been forced into the duct work was only being recirculated back into the warm Return Air side of the A/C unit. This caused ours to freeze the unit into a Ice Cube... blocking the air flow all together.

I also found several holes where wires could be run through the frame of the A/C unit, were open, which was allowing Hot Attic Air to be pulled into the Warm Intake Air side. I Sealed all the air leaks... smoothed out openings going to the duct work, using a metal foil tape (Not the cloth duct tape). I also found that on our A/C there should have been a sensor that shut down the A/C unit, protecting it when the unit froze up... that sensor should be attached to the center of the fins using the attached metal clip. Ours was laying off to the side of the unit, un-attached as it should have been.

From what I read most home A/C systems can only drop the outside air temp by around 17 or so degrees... so when its 100 * outside... I doubt your going to ever get it down to 75* inside the RV.

Good Luck

Bobby A

Just this year I have had the same thing happen, just a couple drips every few hours lands on our island, its not that big of a deal, I really don't think anything is wrong, its just to darn hot and humid. I do notice though that when the a/c first comes on there is a tiny hint of musty smell for the first couple minutes, then it disapates, not sure how to correct this issue though. We are in Fl. so it just might be an airborne issue, not quite sure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I guess hot is relative. In ND and MN hot is in the low 90's. Here in Texas they tell us the temps will be COOLER when they are in the low 90's. And if we don't have at least 65 percent humidity it is so dry everyones skin looks like scales and flakesoff :) Funny how life is isn't it?

Lynn1130

And here 105 with 35% humidity is a killer. 113 with 5% humidity is really a dry heat and a break from the "Monsoon".