Anode Rod

wingfoot

Drained my Hot water tank for winterazation and my anode rod is fairly calcified up. It still has good thickness and I was wondering if I could clean it up and reuse it. I took a wire brush and got it looking pretty good. Are these rods just coated with the magnesium and over time does the coating get used up? I'm not trying to cheep out...just curious.

Thanks,
Larry

jnbhobe

I've seen them completely eaten away, I usually change mine every year or so when I drain the system.

MTPockets

If over half is still there, put it back in. I've had them last 6 months and up to 2 years. Must be water, power or both.

Westwind

Depends on where you camp and the water quality, if it's well water you can go through one in a season. I carry a spare and when I drain the hot water heater to winterize the trailer I put in a new one. Then I don't run the risk of forgetting about it.

pegmikef

I drain my HWH every time we return from an outing and wire brush the anode. . . I started after I had to replace one in my North Trail after three months (Texas Water). I have never replaced another one.

Wmnmy

I have to replace mine once a year because of the hard water out here in the desert Nevada..

priorguy

I check mine periodically and keep a spare on hand. I typically don't change it over winter to not waste a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Never changed ours. During cold months, we notice a small leak outside which appears to come from the pressure relief valve. Could it be a worn out anode instead? How do we change one? Thanks for any info.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Could be good CG water, my filters, or both, but I'm still using the OEM anode rod. Over the winter, I leave it loose in the drain hole after draining and winterizing the rig.

whp4262

Drained my Hot water tank for winterazation and my anode rod is fairly calcified up. It still has good thickness and I was wondering if I could clean it up and reuse it. I took a wire brush and got it looking pretty good. Are these rods just coated with the magnesium and over time does the coating get used up? I'm not trying to cheep out...just curious.

Thanks,
Larry

Yes the magnesium on the Anode rode will get eaten up over time. If you look at the end opposite the threaded plug end you can probably see a steel rod in the center, probably about 3/16" diameter that is different color than the magnesium. If this steel rod is exposed or close to being exposed anywhere down the length of the rod I would replace the anode rod. The anode rods are not very expensive and you can get aluminum or magnesium, the aluminum is a little cheaper, but I prefer to stick with the magnesium rods.

whp4262

Never changed ours. During cold months, we notice a small leak outside which appears to come from the pressure relief valve. Could it be a worn out anode instead? How do we change one? Thanks for any info.

If your rig is a 2008 the anode rod is probably past due to be changed. I use a socket, extension and ratchet with a little teflon tape on the threads of the new rod. Takes about 3 minutes to change it out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If your rig is a 2008 the anode rod is probably past due to be changed. I use a socket, extension and ratchet with a little teflon tape on the threads of the new rod. Takes about 3 minutes to change it out.

When changing the Anode rod be sure to open the pressure relief valve prior to removing the rod. Also be sure to turn off the water and the water heater.

StephenKatSea

Good advice on the relief valve etc. before removing the rod. If you already have the rod out and it shows some depletion, renewing the anode rod is very cheap maintenance. The rod is suppose to erode - least noble metal. IOW - Let the water eat up the rod and not the tank & fittings.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The rod can become a missile if you try to remove it while the HWH is under pressure. Not a pretty sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

It's a really good idea to flush the tank out while you have the rod out. Use a small dia hose or something to flush it out. You will be supprised at what comes out.

Birchwood

[h=2]Anode Rod Problems[/h]
anode-rod-compare.jpg
The anode rod is designed to corrode in place of your water heater lining, when the rod has been completely corroded it no longer protects your water heater. The picture above shows what an anode rod looks like before installation (top) and what an anode rod looks like when it is completely depleted (bottom). A typical anode rod will last about 4-5 years but it depends on the amount of water traveling through your water heater. A water softener also shortens the life of your anode rods significantly. A depleted anode rod can and does cause your water heater problems. The first problem you can expect to encounter with a bad anode rod is the rusting of your water heater. If your water heater rusts you will most likely need to replace it, which will cost you much more than replacing an anode rod. Another problem you may encounter is having the anode rod break off and fall to the bottom of your water heater. The broken off rod will bounce around in the water heater anytime water passes through it, which will destroy the lining of the water heater very quickly. This creates cracks in the glass lining of the water heater which will drastically shorten your water heaters life. There is no question, failure to replace your anode rods in a timely fashion, will shorten your water heaters life

danemayer

A typical anode rod will last about 4-5 years but it depends on the amount of water traveling through your water heater.

4-5 years might be overly optimistic. Here's what the Suburban manual says (emphasis added):

The tank in this water heater is protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to
prolong the life of the tank by absorbing the corrosive action of hot water. Under
normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate and because of this, we recommend
it be replaced yearly.
NOTE: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will
increase the rate of deterioration; therefore, more frequent replacement may
be required.
If anode rod is mostly eaten away, replace it with a new one. (See
Figure 11)

Operating the water heater without proper anode protection will decrease tank
life and will void your warranty on the tank.

porthole

Retired
I keep a spare anode in the tool box.
I check the anode once during the mid season.
I wire wheel the anode whenever it is removed.
I replace it when it looks to be about half worn.

I think I have changed the anode twice (3 total including new) since picking up the trailer July 2009