ATF: Big Country - Correct Track

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Well, here we go... I called an RV dealer in Waco (on the authorized list, website) He said he had no idea why they were listed, they get calls all the time, but they don't have any affiliation with correct track nor know anything about the system. I called camping world in Denton (again on the list) and the service department stated that it was $99 to do the inspection and if it were out of alignment it would be $300 for the "kit" and $395 in labor to install the kit. ???:confused:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We first have our alignment checked annually (Correct Track already installed) and then the tires rotated and balanced.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Update... Just got a call back from the service foreman at Camping World in Denton. $99 to inspect (1 hour ) and about 1 hour labor to make adjustments if needed (another $100) so about $200 IF its out of alignment. So now I get the picture. Although.... I asked if it should be fully loaded as if we are going on a trip or empty right from the factory, "IT DOESN'T MATTER" he said! :confused:

GOTTOYS

Update... Just got a call back from the service foreman at Camping World in Denton. $99 to inspect (1 hour ) and about 1 hour labor to make adjustments if needed (another $100) so about $200 IF its out of alignment. So now I get the picture. Although.... I asked if it should be fully loaded as if we are going on a trip or empty right from the factory, "IT DOESN'T MATTER" he said!
So if you bring your trailer into a Big Rig alignment shop without having a Correct Track installed on it..they can align it and include adjusting the toe and camber which you cannot do with a Correct Track, for somewhere around $150.00. That being the case it sounds to me like the Correct Track will only allow 1/2 of a proper alignment at a higher cost...Another gimmick to make you think you're getting an added value? I won't be throwing any of my money out the window for one...JMHO...Don

danemayer

Well, here we go... I called an RV dealer in Waco (on the authorized list, website) He said he had no idea why they were listed, they get calls all the time, but they don't have any affiliation with correct track nor know anything about the system. I called camping world in Denton (again on the list) and the service department stated that it was $99 to do the inspection and if it were out of alignment it would be $300 for the "kit" and $395 in labor to install the kit. ???:confused:
The "kit" is the Correct Track II which is an aftermarket add-on. The new Heartland's come with Correct Track I already installed. When you get the alignment checked, if adjustment is needed, it's a matter of rotating the hexagonal discs that are already installed.

danemayer

So if you bring your trailer into a Big Rig alignment shop without having a Correct Track installed on it..they can align it and include adjusting the toe and camber which you cannot do with a Correct Track, for somewhere around $150.00. That being the case it sounds to me like the Correct Track will only allow 1/2 of a proper alignment at a higher cost...Another gimmick to make you think you're getting an added value? I won't be throwing any of my money out the window for one...JMHO...Don

Don, this might be apples and oranges. If you go to a Big Rig alignment shop, I don't think they can change the angle of the axles the way Correct Track allows, without cutting off the hangers and welding on new ones. And I don't think Correct Track adjustments have anything to do with camber of the axles.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave10, I dont know how many new cars or trucks you have had.......BUT. Everyone I have ever had....the dealer will not do an alignment until the vehicle has at least 3-4K miles on them. If a dealer does does it right out of the box....he is screwing you.....you will be back later and then you will pay for it. Auto manufacturers will only pay once. Dont even question me on this. It is fact. Working 47 years at the dealership level....I know what I am talking about.

dave10a

Dave10, I dont know how many new cars or trucks you have had.......BUT. Everyone I have ever had....the dealer will not do an alignment until the vehicle has at least 3-4K miles on them. If a dealer does does it right out of the box....he is screwing you.....you will be back later and then you will pay for it. Auto manufacturers will only pay once. Dont even question me on this. It is fact. Working 47 years at the dealership level....I know what I am talking about.
Cars are not trailers. Why make excuses for Heartland decision to not do the alignment in the first place? Beside what is the source of your information?? or is it hearsay.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It sounds like this thread is getting too personal. Everyone needs to take a step back before they say something they will regret.

danemayer

I thought the idea was that it would change when loaded and that it should be checked as typically loaded. If we check with tires suspended I don't doubt it would be more accurate but is it going to change when loaded?

Eddhuy,

I watched some of the Correct Track videos and yes, the Correct Track concept is to check it loaded because of differences in weight from side-to-side. The question Magnum was wrestling with for me was whether the hangers that they replaced were welded in the correct position.

One thing I'm not clear on is why the extra weight would push the axles forward or backward. The springs are mounted to hangers that are welded in place. I would have thought the weight would be distributed symmetrically by the springs, front-to-rear. If that's right, I don't see why the axles and wheels would move front-to-rear.

On the other hand, if I assume Lippert is correct, maybe that means the springs don't distribute the weight symmetrically. Or maybe I don't understand how the suspension system works and there's some other explanation.

Eddhuy

I watched the videos as well and I'm not sure I have a full understanding of how it works either. I guess if more weight is on one side, the axles will spread further apart? Maybe but not sure at this point how much weight difference it would take to make a difference. I guess I'll check it and see how is sits and go from there.

ParkIt

I'm not understanding it either and haven't seen a 5er or TT that was so weighed down the axles spread or bowed.
Wish I could get a grasp on this but coming up with more questions than answers.

Never mind, I think I understand now what the correct track does and why its being put on newer units.

Last edited:

SilverRhino

For many years and many thousands of miles before Correct Track........RV trailers have gone down the roads without chewing up tires or having other problems, because when the suspension components where welded on, it was done properly. I am sure there have been some with problems, but I am not sure this is not just another attempt to make up for what should have been done right in the first place.

This is not directed at HL or any other specific manufacturer.......Just my thoughts as I look at the product and consider the need. I plan on talking to some frame shop / alignment pros to see if I can get a better handle on it for my needs.......At this point.....It's not broke so I am not going to jump on trying to fix it.

Rmcgrath53

The system is great! if you measure from center kingpin to wheel or axle on both sides it should be equal just like a triangle. If it is off by up to an amount that is adjusted by the cam at each spring bolt. Example you may have to bring the bolt on the right side closer or further on one side and then on the other side further or closer. If you have an axle and spring assembly that wasn't welded perfect to frame to begin with this now can bring you really close to perfect! It will even affect your gas mileage. I used to have an old flip phone that worked great. But now have a smart phone that is even better. What ever floats your boat!!

Eddhuy

I do understand it now but was thinking, do we want to go fwd and backwards before measuring or jack the wheels off the ground or tow it down the road a fwy speeds then measure before doing any backing. Ideally we want to capture it in the position it is in; when it is rolling down the road. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

dave10a

Since trailers are pulled from the factory to a dealer that can be a considerable distance from the factory, it would be nice if the axles were properly aligned at the factory to eliminate feathering of the tires. Just sayen........ :) My tires were feathered by 1/32 at delivery..... So folks why can't we expect Heartland to align the axles at the factory to we can have more tire life....??? In retrospect I should have refused delivery until the dealer installed new tires and aligned the axles... Oh well live and learn...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I am sure that HL would be glad to do an alignment when it leaves the plant. But somehow "your" going to pay for it. The coach would have to be transported to and from a shop to do it. $$$....the cost of the alignment....$$$. Now, from what I have read....it needs to be done when loaded for travel. So now, who is going to pay for the 2nd alignment?? Bet you money..marbles or chalk it wont be HL. Now, a better way would be to charge everyone that buys a HL coach $250.00 built into the cost...so it can aligned after its loaded and HL will pay the alignment shop. So this way its not out of pocket money by the consumer....or is it?? Ain't nothing in life free....somehow...someway your going to pay for it. Better yet....just order a coach without it....problem solved.