ATF: Big Country - Correct Track

marvmarcy

Dave, I consider the GY 614s on a loaded Landmark to be marginal. Many folks say they can be expected to last about three years if properly aligned, inflated and loaded. I plan to replace my axles with 8k rated with disc brakes, and replace the GY614s with 17.5" wheels and tires. Not cheap, but no more than the damage the factory installed stuff can do.

I don't mean to criticize Heartland over any other mfr; but I like a better safety margin than the rv industry feels it needs to be competitive.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Dave, I consider the GY 614s on a loaded Landmark to be marginal. Many folks say they can be expected to last about three years if properly aligned, inflated and loaded. I plan to replace my axles with 8k rated with disc brakes, and replace the GY614s with 17.5" wheels and tires. Not cheap, but no more than the damage the factory installed stuff can do.

I don't mean to criticize Heartland over any other mfr; but I like a better safety margin than the rv industry feels it needs to be competitive.

Just curious as to what makes you think the alignment will be any better with 17.5 tires an wheels?

dave10a

What a surprise-- most on this forum do not think Heartland is responsible for proper alignment of axles. I wonder what else they don't feel responsible for.

Eddhuy

Although I am still not certain whether HL should or should not align the correct track before shipping and whether or not to have a load on the axles, it has been an informative discussion. I now understand what to check for and how to align without paying someone to do it for me. I trust my work, at least I'll know what the measurements were and record them and can see if there are slight changes over time. I think I will check and align at least yearly and maybe more often to start with. I think I may even take measurements loaded, as is after parking, going fwd and backwards; then checking again and with wheels off the ground, it only takes a little time and will be able to see if there are any differences.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Because HL does not build the frame or install the suspension. Lippert does....the frames come to HL's plant with the suspension already on them. And probably 80% of all the RV manufacturers that uses Lipperts frames come the same way. I will say it again....if you want HL to pay for an alignment.....you are going to pay for it one way or the other. Built in the price of the coach or out of your pocket later. I just don't understand why this such a hard concept to understand. When you buy a car or truck...new...it comes with a warranty. BUT....built in to the cost of the vehicle is the warranty....get it? If you buy a toaster...you have paid for some kind of warranty in the price you paid.

ParkIt

Even if HL aligned each unit when it rolled out, it would have to be done again after its had a some miles empty and loaded. They can't replicate that at the plant, its still something you have to do over the life and use of each unit. To me it's part of the general maintenance along with inspecting the axles, tires, lug nuts, bearings and anything that makes the unit roll or be pulled.

I wonder if those that use X chocks are more prone to having an alignment issue or would it be less? Thoughts on that?

danemayer

To me the only reason for Heartland to do an alignment on every trailer leaving the factory would be if a significant percentage of new trailers were out of alignment leaving the factory. But logically, if that were the case, that same significant percentage of owners would have early life problems with uneven tire wear.

We do see some posts about tire wear and related alignment issues. I would say of those, most turn out to be caused by axle manufacturing defects where the axle loses camber. Others are no doubt explained by hitting curbs or other road hazards. What I don't see on the forum is any reason to think that every trailer should go through an alignment prior to shipment.

Rmcgrath53

It is not HL responsibility to align. I am sure the factory has a template in the manufacturing prosses. that is still the same. As far as hangers for the spring bolts those are welded on by the factory the same as usual. The correct track will give you alignment ability once you load up and run over a few curbs, and run hard over railroad tracks,and twist the frame getting into tight spots. You want HL to align them at every turn?

SilverRhino

I've been following this post since it began.....after reading everyone's responses and talking to a couple of "frame guys" I have changed my opinion on this product. My plan is to take measurements on my coach to check the alignment and if off I will definitely install the Correct Track.....if not I will monitor closely and make my decision further down the road. The main thing that I was not thinking about is loading the coach after the frame / suspension where already built.....Might be fine empty, but could change after coach is built on frame and loaded with gear.

So I guess it might be time for me to trade in my "flip phone" for a "smart phone"........Like the analogy used after my previous post!!

The system is great! if you measure from center kingpin to wheel or axle on both sides it should be equal just like a triangle. If it is off by up to an amount that is adjusted by the cam at each spring bolt. Example you may have to bring the bolt on the right side closer or further on one side and then on the other side further or closer. If you have an axle and spring assembly that wasn't welded perfect to frame to begin with this now can bring you really close to perfect! It will even affect your gas mileage. I used to have an old flip phone that worked great. But now have a smart phone that is even better. What ever floats your boat!!

danemayer

One thing to be aware of is a difference between the factory install Correct Track and the aftermarket. The aftermarket version raises the trailer 2".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ParkIt

One thing to be aware of is a difference between the factory install Correct Track and the aftermarket. The aftermarket version raises the trailer 2".
Had no idea it would raise it that much, I'd be measuring ground to clearance on every trip if that is the case. Its not fun to rip off the AC unit going under and overpass.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It is my understanding that Lippert will do installs on the Correct Track and weld the units on which does not raise the trailer. Their labor rate for after-rally installations is a special rate of $50 per hour.

jbeletti

<p>
It is my understanding that Lippert will do installs on the Correct Track and weld the units on which does not raise the trailer. Their labor rate for after-rally installations is a special rate of $50 per hour.
Jay, The OEM version is weld-on. The aftermarket version is bolt-on (raises coach 2"). The labor rate "at the rally" will be $100 per hour. The labor rate at Lippert's show will be $50 per hour.</p>

SilverRhino

If I do decide to install I would have a frame shop do the weld on OEM style.........Do not need to add the extra 2 inches!!

ParkIt

If I do decide to install I would have a frame shop do the weld on OEM style.........Do not need to add the extra 2 inches!!
No kidding. Now I'm wondering if it does or does not raise it 2", if so it doesn't sound like a good aftermarket to install just from the added height.

danemayer

No kidding. Now I'm wondering if it does or does not raise it 2", if so it doesn't sound like a good aftermarket to install just from the added height.

The aftermarket kit raises the trailer 2", and I doubt those parts are the same as the ones provided to Heartland as part of the frame assembly. If you wanted to cut off the original hangers and replace them with Correct Track hangers, you'd have to call Mobile Outfitters to find out if they'll even sell you the OEM version.

SilverRhino

According to this Web Site there are two "models" CT I & CT II ......the first CT I, being weld on.

Update: This was a listing prior to Mobile Outfitters taking over the product......I have place an inquiry with them as to availability at this time!

SilverRhino

According to this Web Site there are two "models" CT I & CT II ......the first CT I, being weld on.

Update: This was a listing prior to Mobile Outfitters taking over the product......I have place an inquiry with them as to availability at this time!

According to the Lippert Web site the Weld On is only available to OEMs........So I guess you either deal with the 2" increase or leave it as is!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
W have had the Correct Track added to our last 2 coaches. Yes it does raise the coach up about 2 inches but that has worked great for us in that we have a steep driveway so the extra height has protected us from scrapping the back of camper as we back in.

ParkIt

W have had the Correct Track added to our last 2 coaches. Yes it does raise the coach up about 2 inches but that has worked great for us in that we have a steep driveway so the extra height has protected us from scrapping the back of camper as we back in.
Since I have the memory of a goldfish...what did you notice overall as a benefit to having the Correct Track aside from the height you needed for the driveway?