ATF: Bighorn - Bedroom Slide Seal

DMitch

This may sound strange after owning this unit for two years but here goes. The other day I was out polishing my unit working under the bedroom slide that was extended. I noticed for the first time that there is no rubber seal across the bottom of the slide. Is this the way the unit is supposed to be, or was it possibly something over looked during manufacture? I can see all the slide rollers under the slide. It seems there is no water protection. I checked the other two slides and they have seals on all four sides of the slides.

Thanks in advance,
Dan Mitchell

Westwind

Just finish waxing my 2012 3070 and there is no no seal at the bottom of the slide, I can see the rollers also. I think I want to shine a flashlight in there to see if something seals up the opening, could get a little cold on a day with low temps.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on how your slide is set up, there may not be a rubber seal there. Mine has none on the outside, but there is a bulb seal on the inside. It's an electric slide.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Depending on how your slide is set up, there may not be a rubber seal there. Mine has none on the outside, but there is a bulb seal on the inside. It's an electric slide.

Peace
Dave

I have the same as Cookie. Sealed on the inside, and the slide seals on the outside when closed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The newer trailers don't have an outer seal. The only reason I can think for it's elimination is the outer seal interferes with the rollers that are at the outer edge. The outer seal on my slide bottom has some small tears adjacent to the rollers. I guess they figured it wasn't that important.

DMitch

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll take a look in the morning with a flashlight and see what I can see.

Willym

Mine has the bottom slide seal, complete with the roller bites in it.

You can stop the rollers biting the seal by putting a small piece of flashing material behind the seal in the area of the roller. My rig came with that set up on the kitchen side slide. I added it to my bedroom side when I replaced the seal due to biting. (Heartland provided me with the new seal at the Elkhart rally)

Westwind

I have to apologize, I do have the bottom bulb seal like in the picture JohnDar posted on our 2012 with an electric / Cable operated bedroom slide. I don't know what I was thinking.