ATF: Bighorn - Living RM TV

cooknsharry

How in the world do I get access to the back side of the screen TV in the living room? I would like to hook up other electronics to it!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
If you have a 3185 take the top facia trim off, only a couple of screws. Once off the TV lifts up and off its mount. Quick and easy.

jbeletti

I received this from the factory:

The TV has a stile above it that holds it to the bracket. There are 3 or 4 screws holding it on. Take the screws out and turn the stile. Then take the stile out. Lift the TV off the bracket.

Jim

olcoon

If yours is like our Elk Ridge, you'll need a special screw driver to get it off. If I remember right it has those security screws that take the allen type wrench, with a hole in it, as where you put the screw driver in, there is a sort of pin in the middle.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
If yours is like our Elk Ridge, you'll need a special screw driver to get it off. If I remember right it has those security screws that take the allen type wrench, with a hole in it, as where you put the screw driver in, there is a sort of pin in the middle.

TRY HARBOR FREIGHT FOR A CHEAP IMPORT SET OF ASSORTED SCREWDRIVER BITS. THEY ARE CHEAP, BUT NORMALLY THAT IS ALL YOU NEED FOR JUST A FEW SCREWS.

jbeletti

I'd be surprised that we use a security or tamper-proof screw for this. My guess is a #2 square drive.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This would be a security type screw, if they were used as described. I also doubt that HL is using them to mount a television, or anything else. A #2 square drive screw is used all over the rig, even the cabinet door hinges. Remember, these rigs come off an assembly line. Having special fasteners requires special tools. Not desireable.

Besides, if someone wants to steal it, they're not going to worry about the damage from their crowbar.

View attachment 17780

cooknsharry

THANKS 4 all the responses, I hate to start taking the facia and trims off but I will look at it when I get it back from the dealer!!!!

cooknsharry

HA ok I guess I didn't ask the question right? I should of ask ":confused:How do I get to the backside of the tv, to lift off LOL. I see no screws on the facia or access door the see or get my hand back side?

jbeletti

Hey, bit of an update here. While I am told we do not use security screws (at this time), I found out today that in the past, we have used them.

In the now discontinued Bighorn 3400 RE, there is a 42" LCD TV across the back of the RV. There is a massive 2x4 support structure behind the TV with a Peerless TV mount, screwed to the 2x4s. Then the mating components of the Peerless mount are screwed onto the back of the TV. The TV hooks onto the bracket on the RV and is secured by 2 screws. These screws secure the part of the mount on the TV, to the part of the mount in the RV. When cranked down, the TV will NOT move side to side and is kept from hopping off track while traveling.

Okay - here's where I eat crow. Two 4mm Allen head "security" screws! That's the 2 screws I speak of above in this note. Anyway, without the proper tool, these are difficult to remove. In this particular installation, a small vise grip tool could be used to grip the head of the screws to remove them.

So, why were these screws used in this case and will they be used again? I believe that they came "with" the Peerless mount and that's why they were used. A small wrench was likely included with the mount but may or may not have made it to the owners packets in the RV. I doubt we'll use these screws again as I don't believe we use Peerless mounts.

Jim