Attaching exterior LED lighting.

Bogie

Hi all,

I am planning on adding an LED light strip to the exterior of my Sundance just below the awning. I didn't want to attach the bare strip to the side of the coach as I favor a more finished look. I have acquired an aluminum channel that will accept the LED strip. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience attaching something like this to the trailer wall. I am thinking of using 3M auto body molding tape but I have a concern that it might damage the skin of the coach if I ever have to take it off. I think it would come off cleanly if heated a little with a hair dryer but I'm not sure,

Anyone have experience with this?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Why would you want to remove it? I would consider the LED strip a permanent install. It has adhesive backing so I stuck it to the coach, and I added a line of silicone caulk aim the top edge to keep water from getting in behind the strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucwinters

Did this on my North Trail and Elkridge using C-channel plastic to place the LED light strand into. Mounted the C-channel to the side of the trailer beneath the awning w/ 3M double-sided tape (got this at Home Depot). I'm sure that you'd be able to loosen the double-sided tape using a hair dryer and then remove any residue using Goo-B-Gone or something like that.

Bogie

I don't specifically want to remove it, but want to avoid any damage should it need to be removed in the future. Just being cautious before I install it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have used the 3M Auto moulding tape on my coach with out issue.

I use the 3M adhesive remover to remove the residue when I need to replace the tape once in a while.

I used the tape to mount my HOC plaque to the side of my coach and also used the tape to mount hooks on the outside of my coach. Once in a while the hooks break and so I have to remove the remaining hook and tape.

Bogie

I have used the 3M Auto moulding tape on my coach with out issue.

I use the 3M adhesive remover to remove the residue when I need to replace the tape once in a while.

I used the tape to mount my HOC plaque to the side of my coach and also used the tape to mount hooks on the outside of my coach. Once in a while the hooks break and so I have to remove the remaining hook and tape.

Thanks. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I'll be installing the lighting in the near future.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You can also make the process go a little easier using a plastic putty. To separate the object from the 3M tape.

Something like this:

G09105nopkg.jpg

I sometimes use 91% isopropyl Alcohol if I don't have the 3M Adhesive remover with me. The Alcohol requires more elbow grease to remove adhesive residue though.

Couple things to try. Goo Gone, works real well. It's a citrus base cleaner available at Home Depot. As for LED light, look them up on ebay. I have bought 5 sets from there ranging in price from 6 US to 15 US for 15 feet.

'Lil Guy'

Mine are mounted in channel on the side of coach and I added another that I have to plug in on the awning roller so they roll up with the awning. I like the ones on the underside of the awning when extended. I just put the 3m tape on the light strip and stuck them on the awning where I wanted. Not gifted enough to know how to hard wire them at that location.lol

SilverRhino

Mine are mounted in channel on the side of coach and I added another that I have to plug in on the awning roller so they roll up with the awning. I like the ones on the underside of the awning when extended. I just put the 3m tape on the light strip and stuck them on the awning where I wanted. Not gifted enough to know how to hard wire them at that location.lol

I plan on doing the same thing on our awning. Wife is not sure that she wants one on the trailer under the awning........ So we are going to try on the awning tube first to see how we like them and then go from there.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
My under awning LED lights that came on the trailer came out of the channel and were snaking all over. My dealer fixed it under warranty. They removed the channel completely and used a clear silicon adhesive caulk and put the light strip in to that. It made for A very nice clean looking install and they work great. Apparently this has been a problem on other units also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk