awning askew?

twohappycampers

Hi guys! Help, please, with what's going on with our awning - it's electric. Let's see if I can describe properly. The awning arms have started to misalign, when bringing in the awning the arms don't slip over the part attached to the side, they lean to the side to the right towards the front of our RV. When I roll up the awning the fabric doesn't roll up even, you can see on the edge that it's not rolling up even. And the entire awning is slipping towards the right, kind of sliding in its track. Poor description, I know, and photos would help, but I'm hoping I don't have to learn how. :( Can we somehow straighten this out ourselves, and how? Or do we need a service call? Thanks bunches for any suggestions.

Last edited:

wdk450

Call and talk to the service advisor at Heartland service. Have your VIN number at the ready. He/she may refer you to the awning manufacturer's service desk.

Good luck!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your awning is not square at the attachment points.
The end that attaches to the RV or the end that attaches to the roller will need to be slid over one way or another.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

The awning has slipped to one side on the roller or the trailer. A simple fix. Unroll the awning and slide it to the side that you can see the edges of it when rolled up. If it has slid in the rail on the trailer, slide it the opposite direction. It is normally held in place by a screw. Perhaps yours is missing.

SilverRhino

The awning has slipped to one side on the roller or the trailer. A simple fix. Unroll the awning and slide it to the side that you can see the edges of it when rolled up. If it has slid in the rail on the trailer, slide it the opposite direction. It is normally held in place by a screw. Perhaps yours is missing.

I agree..... Had this happen on our previous trailer!

jnbhobe

It sounds like your awning is not square at the attachment points.
The end that attaches to the RV or the end that attaches to the roller will need to be slid over one way or another.

Peace
Dave

I have seen this many times, Dave is right and it's most likely the roller end.

twohappycampers

Thanks for all your help so far. Hubby tried sliding the awning back into place, but the top edge is anchored to a black rubber strip, and the thing doesn't want to budge! It's slipped so far over to the right edge that you can see a piece of the black rubber strip hanging over the front edge. It seems there's always tension on the awning because it's electric. We've been trying to slide it over with the awning extended. Perhaps if we retracted it? We just don't want to pull on the awning so hard that it tears. Is this best left to the $$$ervice people? Thanks again. PS there is no retaining screw on either end.

twohappycampers

Just thought I'd add an update to this - service guy came and helped us out with the awning issue. He yanked on the awning fabric harder than we dared to (giving it a shake at the same time), slid the fabric over in its upper track a bit to the left (towards the back), and now it retracts properly all the way into the bracket on the side of the trailer. He put in a couple of screws so it shouldn't slide like that again. But if it does, Doug now knows that he can yank on the fabric pretty hard and it won't tear. thanks again!