Awning problems ???

Trailer Trash

We have an 09 Bighorn with an electric awning. When I go to put the awning out the fabric unfirls but I have to pull on the arm to get it started going out. Once its out the the arms are not perpendicular to the coach, the fabric shifts to one side at least 6 inches. When I go to wind it up the fabric shifts back to center, but one of the arms is really twisted until I knock it straight. We have always taken care of the awning, it has never been in a severe wind. I would like to repair it myself but don't know where to start, any ideas. Thanks

donr827

Sounds like you need to reposition the fabric so that it aligns correctly. I had a similar problem on my previous sob.
Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Art,
Wish I could help. I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what is happening. Sounds like maybe the frame is hanging up, or out of alignment.
Are all joints and pivot points moving freely and well lubricated? Is the side that wants to unwind the motor side? Check the pivot where the awning spins on the opposite end from the the motor. I would lube everything for starters. Trace

MTPockets

My electric awning is acting the same. In order to get the arms to lock in place when I roll it up, I have to push hard on one side of the roller so the fabic slides in the slot. Otherwise, the arm will not be in alignment and lock all the way in the up position... THEN - when I start to roll it out the next time, I have to give it some help, or the arm will not release from the frame fabic just hangs down unless I release the extend button it right away. Maybe others have had same problem and found the solution.

Trailer Trash

Art,
Wish I could help. I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what is happening. Sounds like maybe the frame is hanging up, or out of alignment.
Are all joints and pivot points moving freely and well lubricated? Is the side that wants to unwind the motor side? Check the pivot where the awning spins on the opposite end from the the motor. I would lube everything for starters. Trace

Trace
We are at Santa Cruz KOA now with 3 grandkids, yes I know I should have my head examined, actually they have been preety good so far, anyhow I will oil each joint when I get home and go from there.
Art
PS Hi to Terry

TandT

Trace
We are at Santa Cruz KOA now with 3 grandkids, yes I know I should have my head examined, actually they have been preety good so far, anyhow I will oil each joint when I get home and go from there.
Art
PS Hi to Terry

Sounds like you have your hands full. Grand kids are fun and you can send them home when you get tired.
Hi back from Teri and hi to Teresa. Good luck with the awning. Please let me know what happens with it.
See you guys soon. Trace

Last edited:

TandT

That sounds like it could only end up with a mess

iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a drop of 3-in-1, or WD-40 at all pivot points is going to be a mess?

I didn't say hose the awning with lubricant. :)

Anything that moves needs to be lubricated periodically IMHO. Trace

Manzan

Heading home from Gillette, our awning started to retract and stopped. Did not work with the remote or the switch inside. Tried rolling it by hand, in and out, tried it again with the remote and it worked. Wondering if there is a thermal overload switch which reset itself? Put silicone on all parts after we got home and no problem since.
Bruce

Trailer Trash

After we got home I rolled out the awning amd everything worked fine however I did find a thin piece of wire where the arm meets the part that rolls and removed it, also I found 2 twigs inside the arm and removed them so for now all is well. Thanks to all who wrote.
P.S, Floyd, I am going to the doctor tuesday, maybe he can fix the short arm problem !!!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
After we got home I rolled out the awning amd everything worked fine however I did find a thin piece of wire where the arm meets the part that rolls and removed it, also I found 2 twigs inside the arm and removed them so for now all is well. Thanks to all who wrote.
P.S, Floyd, I am going to the doctor tuesday, maybe he can fix the short arm problem !!!

Not sure if the Doctor can fix the short arm problem, but they are pretty good at fixing the deep pockets problem!!!

rick_debbie_gallant

Heading home from Gillette, our awning started to retract and stopped. Did not work with the remote or the switch inside. Tried rolling it by hand, in and out, tried it again with the remote and it worked. Wondering if there is a thermal overload switch which reset itself? Put silicone on all parts after we got home and no problem since.
Bruce

I had the same problem a cuple years ago. I took the motor out in order to have a looksee and found that one of the motor brushes was hanging up inside the motor. A simple fix It wasw. All I needed wasa work bench, some dental floss reinstalled the brush and spring and no problems after the repair.