BalX chock and similar device warning

trvlrerik

I had a pretty good scare that may help out somebody else.

I started the day in Kansas and drove in 90 degree temperatures and stopped in Estes Park Colorado. I chocked up the wheels on both sides and unhooked the trailer and leveled everything up and all was fine. When I started to hook up I raised the rear jacks, raised the front end to accept the hitch and backed under, I heard an odd crunching noise and got out to check at once. I saw the trailer had started to slide backwards on the slope we were camped on. I went back to check the X-chocks and found they were loose enough to pull out with little resistance. When they were put in they were very tight as I was a little concerned about the slope. I am assuming that the long day on the road had caused the tires to heat up and expand. The tire pressure was 110 when we left Kansas and 110 in Colorado that am. I did not realize that the chocks may need to be snugged up after the tires cool down.

I just wanted to advise of what could have been a very bad morning to avoid any problems of an unattended "sleigh ride" down the hill.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the post. We've always used the cheap plastic yellow chocks in addition to our home made bal chocks. The yellow chocks stay put until the trailer is ready to roll. Thankfully you didn't have any damage.

danemayer

We have the auto level up system on our Rushmore. If I chock the wheels with one of the scissor type clamps that expands between the tires, and then level the rig, as the weight comes off the wheels, the suspension allows the wheels to move closer together or further apart. Sometimes the chock will fall out completely. Sometimes when I retract, the pressure gets so tight that the chock won't unscrew and I have to raise the rear end again.

At the rally, Lippert said that when using the level up we should not be chocking the wheels. On a slope, I'm not sure that's good advice, but maybe they meant to use a wedge behind or in front of the wheel, rather than between them.

rebootsemi

We have the auto level up system on our Rushmore. If I chock the wheels with one of the scissor type clamps that expands between the tires, and then level the rig, as the weight comes off the wheels, the suspension allows the wheels to move closer together or further apart. Sometimes the chock will fall out completely. Sometimes when I retract, the pressure gets so tight that the chock won't unscrew and I have to raise the rear end again.

At the rally, Lippert said that when using the level up we should not be chocking the wheels. On a slope, I'm not sure that's good advice, but maybe they meant to use a wedge behind or in front of the wheel, rather than between them.

If you raise the tires up off the ground with the level up no chock will do any good you are sitting on the jacks, the problem comes to play when you come down off of the jacks and the ground is not level. You could very easy have a run away if you happen to push your trailer while hooking up. Have never had a problem using the X-Chocks, but also use the wheel chocks. In the instructions for the X-Chocks it clearly states that they are not to be used as chock blocks, probably to try and release them from the lawsuits when they do not actually hold a 15K lbs trailer from rolling down the hill and into the front office.

pegmikef

The instructions that came with my wide track X-chocks specifically states not to level or unlevel (to hook up) the trailer with the X-chocks installed as the chocks could be damaged and that they will shift. Therefore I always use the yellow chocks on each side of the wheels before I even disconnect. I still use the X-chocks after leveling the trailer because it is added security and I think it makes the trailer a little more stable.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use the wedge chocks under the tires and put the BAL X-chocks in after I've leveled the rig. I don't lift the tires off the ground, but I do put a board under them. While on the road, not only do the tires heat up, but the pressure rises. If you chock them soon after arriving, they're going to be bigger than normal. Watching a TST while on the road, you will see the tires under the heavy kitchen slide running considerably hotter and higher pressure than the ones on the curb side. Especially if the sun is on them, as well. Mine reached 100 degrees and 130 psi at one point.

hriker

Thank you very much for your post. My wife and I just picked up a 2011 Landmark Rushmore. Yesterday we went directly from the dealership to the camp ground. I purchased a set of X-chocks for our 5ver and installed them before we unhitched our TV. Then used the automatic leveling system to level up. Worked great!! But to my surprise the X-Chocks both fell out. Thankfully we were on a level site and the 5ver never moved. I installed them again after the leveling process and I did notice the tires were further apart after the leveling. I went out today and bought these plastic yellow chocks to use before leveling and after unleveling. I wish I saw this post a few days ago. Thanks for confirming what I witnessed. Great information!! Thanks.

SilverRhino

Interesting post. I have not used the "yellow" tire chocks since I bought my Roto Choks. We always crank them down good and tight....first thing done after leveling trailer side to side with blocks.....removing them is the last thing done when leaving a site.

I have never found the RCs to be loose......but after reading this......the "yellow" chocks will be dug out of the back corner of the compartment! No way that that small step can hurt anything, and it sounds like it can do a great deal to prevent problems.

Travel Safe!

Last edited: