Basement TV

ShepVA

What are you guys using for a TV to watch for outside and how did you mount it??
Not that I am watching much TV outside, but I may want to watch a NASCAR race outside and drink some barley pops and the bedroom TV appears a little small to put outside.
I am thinking of ideas to mount a larger TV in the basement that can swing out?? What have you guys done??

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You should have the 110V plug and cable port in the basement already. You could call HL parts and get a price from them. OR, look around at some big box stores for a TV and a swivel mount. Im sure there are several people that have a 3585 with a TV in the basement that could guide you along.

danemayer

To mount a larger TV on the basement wall, you'll probably have to build some type of additional support structure behind the wall. The removable wall holds a 19" TV ok, but the additional weight of a larger TV might be too much for the screws holding that wall.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dan is correct....but you could remove the TV from the bracket and lay it on the bed when traveling.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Something you have to look for is a very flat matte finish. Those shiny ones have a lot of reflection when outside. When you're looking, look almost from the side at them and see which one doesn't reflect. I also used the flash on my smart phone to see how much reflection a unit would use.
We use a 26" Vizio on its own stand, that we lay down on the bed when we travel. Like Dan said, I was really worried about the extra weight a TV and a support mounted to the side (or above to swing down) would be. Also just was going to take up too much basement space.
We have DirecTV, where the splitter is mounted in the UDC. Since we have a tripod dish (and not the roof mount), I took off the panel behind the UDC and ran a direct line from the sat in for the bedroom on our BH 3670, then a jumper from the splitter to it. When I want to watch outside, I take the receiver out of the bedroom and put it in the basement with an HDMI to the Vizio and the coax feed that lays inside the basement.
NCAA tourney is coming up, good time to drink some barley pops and watch the hoops!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We make it simple - we have a 32" LG in the basement on it's own stand. For traveling, we wrap the tv in a blanket and turn it sideways against the basement wall. We also have DirectTv and keep the receiver in the basement. This way if we have a large group of folks who want to watch tv (football games, nascar races), we just move it from the basement to the picnic table so we can all spread out. Have been doing this for over 8 years now without any problems.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
ShepVa, We own a 2005 Landmark Mt. Rushmore and wanted to mount a 32 inch tv to the basement access panel. The access panel slides in a track so I screwed a 2x6 to the top track and into the bottom track as well. Then of course mounted the swivel mount for the 32 inch LCD tv to the 2x6. When traveling I put the box the tv came in over the tv and push it up against the access panel. I also screwed a strap into the track,top and bottom, to hold the tv in place while traveling. I then ran 2 cables to the basement for my direct tv dvr. We have had this set up for about 3 years now and have never had a problem. If you do a search you will find some pictures I posted of my install.