Battery gases

sjs731

I have two Exide batteries in my GMC that are less than a year old. Since I've put them in I have experienced what I guess is excessive vapor venting. The batteries are not leaking but the trays are continually covered with corrosion. I'll clean it off and it comes back. I would expect it to be from high heat but it happened during the winter too. Anyone else have this problem?

hriker

Have you sprayed the connections with a corrosion prevention coating? You can get it at any auto parts store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FiremanBill

I get that on my truck too, I have tried everything, the gels, the sprays, the little green pads under the terminals. I just clean them off every 6 months or so now.

sjs731

Have you sprayed the connections with a corrosion prevention coating? You can get it at any auto parts store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are you saying that will help the problem? I'm asking because there has never been a speck of corrosion on the connection. Only the trays and a nearby bolt head occasionally.

TedS

Ford service tech told me "That's normal outgassing." Why only on one battery and not the other? Don't know. It seems to me that outgassing means over-charging or too high a charging rate or a marginal battery.

pegmikef

Did you use something like baking soda and water to clean the corrosion off so it is really gone and not just dormant?

sjs731

Both batteries were doing it and now it's been just one. Yes, I mix baking soda and water and get rid of it altogether. I emailed the manufacturer to see what they say. I'll have to check and see if they are getting too much charge. If I go by the gauge in the truck they are not getting too much.

brianharrison

I will reiterate Duane's comment - with one battery it is a bad battery, probably one cell is shorted creating excessive heat and off gassing during normal charging operations.

I would also get the charging system analyzed at the dealer to make sure it is within specifications - make sure you clarify you suspect an abnormally high charge rate/voltage as you are experiencing offgassing.

Brian

GOTTOYS

When I was in the car business we had a lot of problems with the side terminal batteries in GM products. The weight of the battery cables and road vibrations would cause the terminals to work loose in the battery and lose their seal causing a leak. Be sure your cables are supported near the battery so you don't put excess pressure on the terminal. Sounds to me like this is what happened in your case..Don

sjs731

Thanks for all the help. Turns out both batteries have a bad cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

sjs731

Yes, still under warranty. Replaced both with no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK