Best rig for full time RVing

Jpdkmd

My wife and I are looking into buying a fifth wheel for full time use.I see that Heartland was one of the only manufacturers who won't void warranties for what they call residential use.Anyone have any comments ,recommendations,or experience with this issue?

danemayer

Hi Jpdkmd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There are quite a few of us living full-time in our RVs, including myself.

If I remember correctly, Landmark, Big Horn, and Big Country models are all warranted for full-time residential use. They offer a residential refrigerator, the Yeti cold weather package, and dual pane windows that all contribute to a better year round experience along with many other features that all add up to a comfortable living arrangement.

Our Landmark pre-dates the residential refrigerator, but I'd love to have one.

New Landmark 365s have a number of other features that are very attractive for full-time residential use; 3 air conditioners, an induction cooktop, a dishwasher option, a Power Control system, and much more.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask.

VKTalley

My wife and I are looking into buying a fifth wheel for full time use.I see that Heartland was one of the only manufacturers who won't void warranties for what they call residential use.Anyone have any comments ,recommendations,or experience with this issue?

My husband and I live full-time in a Heartland Big Country. We have enjoyed our previous Big Country 3690SL and our current Big Country 3950FB. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you want and what fits your lifestyle. Big Horn, Big Country and Landmark 365 are all great units. Check them out and see what fits you best. Good luck with your search!

Garypowell

The one that will be best for you is the floor plan you fall in love with. My best advice once you find it buy it from dealer stock so you know exactly what you are getting. It seems the most disappointed are those that special order....not sure why but they seem to have the most problems.

GOTTOYS

In reality the factory warranty is only one year on product other than a Landmark. Who would really know if you were living in it full-time or not? I would buy whatever I liked best and would not be swayed by the warranty....Don

Last edited:

MTPockets

As you hang out on the forums you'll find various opinions. Mine is to look around and find the floor plan and features that fit your wants and budget then factory order the exact unit you want. We did that and got the upgrades we wanted and after 3 1/2 yrs full time are still very happy with our choice. Don't settle, get exactly what you decide upon.

EPaulikonis

Just went through this decision process last year. Lots of options, but not too many great ones.

We'd narrowed our search down to Redwood, Lifestyle, and Landmark. First issue we focused on was who would warranty if we lived in the rig full-time. It's not even a matter of how much is a warranty worth, but how I perceived the company would support me as a consumer if I needed their help; they weren't standing by the product they'd produced. I figured the construction techniques and materials were sub-standard if I had to lie to a manufacturer about living in the rig.

We bought the Landmark because of the Heartland's reputation for customer support, the 2+5 warranty, options that were available, a true 4-seasons coach, and most importantly, this forum and the user community. No other brand had a dedicated resource where you could communicate openly to get answers to issues you needed to work. Heartland has done a good job of standing behind the product and working with me to resolve the delivery any warranty issues we've experienced.

Best of luck on your search.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My 2 cents..... We just purchased a LM 365 Ashland floor plan, and we love it. We have been out in it 4 or 5 trips 5 to 6 days at a time each trip. We LOVE the floor plan and I keep saying "If I had to live in an RV this is the one to live in". It is so roomy everywhere, the kitchen has a ton of storage and counter space, the living room feels like home, and the bedroom and bathroom have plenty of space for 2 people to move around and pass by each other and never feeling cramped. And I am claustrophobic big time !!!!!!!
We have had our share of small issues that we have been slowly working out with our dealer and hope to soon have them behind us. Also we love the residential fridge it is amazing, with ice maker and water we no longer have to pack an ice chest around to carry the extra drinks. Also keeps the ice cream frozen. Only down fall is AC power only. We have gen, solar, and inverter so nothing to worry about for us.
Good luck and I hope this helps you.

Last edited:

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
My 2 cents..... We just purchased a LM 365 Ashland floor plan, and we love it. We have been out in it 4 or 5 trips 5 to 6 days at a time each trip. We LOVE the floor plan and I keep saying "If I had to live in an RV this is the one to live in". It is so roomy everywhere, the kitchen has a ton storage and counter space, the living room feels like home, and the bedroom and bathroom have plenty of space for 2 people to move around and pass by each other and never feeling cramped. And I am cloister phobic big time !!!!!!!
We have had our share of small issues that we have been slowly working out with our dealer and hope to soon have them behind us. Also we love the residential fridge it is amazing, with ice maker and water we no longer have to pack an ice chest around to carry the extra drinks. Also keeps the ice cream frozen. Only down fall is AC power only. We have gen, solar, and inverter so nothing to worry about for us.
Good luck and I hope this helps you.

We also have the Ashland and love the layout. Had our issues but we still love the RV. If it is just two people you cannot beat this layout.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

More of my 2 cents.
Coming from a 40' toy hauler with a 10' garage I was worried that I would miss the storage space. However with the giant basement in the LM 365 Ashland, we have more then enough space under there.

TxCowboy

No question that the Ashland is one of the nicest units HL makes. I'm still waiting to see the new production Madison floor plan in person. I've always been drawn to the front living room models and the Madison is offering that.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
No question that the Ashland is one of the nicest units HL makes. I'm still waiting to see the new production Madison floor plan in person. I've always been drawn to the front living room models and the Madison is offering that.

One of the Heartland Gateway's has the front living room.

One of the Colorado HOC members had just gotten one before our CO HOC Spring Campout this past May . . . it is sweet!