BigHorn Fire

olcoon

Hadn't heard about this until now. If it was someone on here, please contact me & I'll do whatever I can to help you! I live here in the KC area, and am willing to help another forum/club member. Cell # 816-769-5411

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Very sad. From the pictures it looks like it may have started near the fridge or hot water heater. Fortunately, there was no indication of any injuries.

porthole

Retired
Looks like the owners had enough time to drop the trailer and get the TV away.

What is scary is that 10-11 pictures into that link, there are fire fighters standing on top of an obliviously dangerous roof. Sometimes we just don't see the forest through the trees.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Wow.. those are some very sad pictures! Hopefully everyone is ok! It does appear that the TV got out of there which is great!
We'll be anxious to hear where/how the fire started!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I noticed in the 3nd picture in the row of pictures below (RV fire3) the big one, there seems to be a small group of people standing and looking back at the fire. One appears to be holding their hands on their head almost like in disbelief. They may be the owners and the tow vehicle is just out of the shot.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
If that is the owner than he is doing better than I would be..... I'd probably be on my knees at tha point with my head in my hands there!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Boy - that fiberglass sure gives off a lot of smoke. Haven't seen that since the Colonial Beach Virginia Marina fire a few years ago.

donr827

It would be nice to know the exact cause of the fire as a reminder to all of us to check our trailers out before hitting the road.
Don

jayc

Legendary Member
The latest news report said it was a propane tank explosion after a tire blowout. Just glad no one was hurt.

jpdoggett

The latest news report said it was a propane tank explosion after a tire blowout. Just glad no one was hurt.
If it was a propane tank they must have relocated it to the back of the RV. As far as I can see the rear of the RV is gone but the front is still there. Just glad no one was hurt and if they need anything we live just 3 miles from there 913-788-7148

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I can say from experience...that is the exact same location we had a blowout two years ago! We were absolutely amazed that the tread did NOT take out the propane line to the fridge, which it missed by just inches. It was not the tank in this case, as you can see that compartment for the propane tanks is still intact. I would say, in this case, it didn't miss their line to the fridge...unfortunate for these Heartland owners. We wish them the best and are glad no one was hurt....

The above experience was the deciding factor in our upgrade to 17.5 inch tires and rims...don't want to go thru that experience ever again...we might not be so lucky next time.

wingfoot

This posses the question...How many of us turn our propane tanks off while in transit. I read somewhere that you should turn them off while traveling...especially when refueling...I'll have to admit...I don't. Probably should though.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This posses the question...How many of us turn our propane tanks off while in transit. I read somewhere that you should turn them off while traveling...especially when refueling...I'll have to admit...I don't. Probably should though.

I don't turn mine off, because I run the refer on gas when we're on the move. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the propane tank had "exploded" as sensationalized by the media, the front end of the trailer wouldn't be there. Liquified propane expands 270 times its volume when it blows. It can launch a rail tank car like a missile. Some of us are familiar with the term BLEVE.

My guess would be a ruptured line due to the blow out feeding a small flame that ignited the trailer in the area of the refridgerator. That the TV is not still attached and smoldering reinforces the assumption that there was no explosion and the driver had time to unhitch, maybe even turn off the propane tanks. He would then be at the nearest WalMart's buying some clean underwear.

I thought the regulators were designed to shut off gas flow in the event of a sudden major leak, but a small one might not trigger the safety mechanism.

rick_debbie_gallant

I don't turn mine off, because I run the refer on gas when we're on the move. Trace

I do notnturn mine off either like he said. There has been much said about gas on or gas off. Folks of the gas off mindset may not realize that there is contained withen the hose and opd are built in safety measures that shut down the gas.flow should there be a catastrophic failure of the hose or excessive flow of gas through the line.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk